Illinois 77, Ohio 75 Postgame

Does anyone have any ideas why Grandison only played 8 minutes? I was only able to watch the last 10 minutes. I was hoping to see if he was a better match up for Vander Plas. Damonte was getting worked inside and Giorgi was getting hurt at the 3 pt line.

That could've allowed Damone to play as a guard and defend Preston some. I don't think Ayo was doing bad, Preston just made some really tough shots. But BU could've at least gave Ayo some breaks. Even putting a smaller Frazier on Preston to see if it bothered him.

Deleted member 747660

D
Is Giorgi’s brother in town?
They also need a coach to teach them how to use the backboard on shots close in. A lot of games in the Underwood era would have had a different outcome or a wider margin of victory if his players were efficient in use of the backboard.

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
I am well and more than happy to get off the motorcycle just in time to pick back up on College hoops. Now that we are never in person I can't go to HS games or trip down to Hargrave to watch my kid coach I have a feeling my 3 TV sets in the living room and 2 computers are going to be getting a work out. . Watched the game over a Whatsapp connection with my Illini friends up in Barrington. We talked about setting up Zoom watch groups for Illini games but too many loud idjuts We still may give it a try if we can mute the homers and less hoops astute Alums. Nail biter for sure. Fun to watch the game thread and fanbase this early with their bipolar mood swings vacillating between jumping for joy or off the top of the nearest tower.

Interesting conversations. BVP was 1-5 yesterday from 3 and his game today did not reflect his career sub 30% 3 ball mark. Roderick was 6/9 yesterday and has taken a quantum leap this summer but the Defensive pressure kept him in check so I think Underwood staying with the plan is not a lack of adjustment. It was making someone else beat you. Roderick buried the one open look he had. Preston had a good game and is a great kid with a good story, I would not be surprised if he gets a nod to enter the draft or that he would be recruited as a grad transfer as is becoming the case when Mid kids show skills. I was surprised BVP did not leave as a grad transfer this year. Cockburn is looking good early.His size and feet make him a load. After facing the BIG centers last year he should be battle tested and experienced. I like what BU did with the 2 bigs together in the 2nd half. I like the push I see in the Illini. Head up and advancing the ball fassst Can't leave Williams. Just kept saying that after BVP left him the first time...and the second ...and then again. He is a capable scorer. There are lots of good pieces here. Fletch has them cut/strong and Coach has his system in place which both go hand in hand to prepare players and give them great confidence as they believe in their bodies and the process. . For all the negativity, folks should realize this is one of the really good squads going back to the mid 70s when I moved to Chicago and started following them in earnest. Ohio had a good showing while Boals is building his program and recruiting hard, but he will have to be happy with the experience and build off of it the rest of the season.

Thanks for the shout. Kind of thought I was going to fly under the radar.
Thanks, Freebird, I have always enjoyed your analysis. I have missed it. I suspect many of the newbies on IL who have joined in the past two years have no idea how spot on you’ve been over the years. They will learn to appreciate your coaching acumen. Great to have you back...

Does anyone have any ideas why Grandison only played 8 minutes? I was only able to watch the last 10 minutes. I was hoping to see if he was a better match up for Vander Plas. Damonte was getting worked inside and Giorgi was getting hurt at the 3 pt line.

That could've allowed Damone to play as a guard and defend Preston some. I don't think Ayo was doing bad, Preston just made some really tough shots. But BU could've at least gave Ayo some breaks. Even putting a smaller Frazier on Preston to see if it bothered him.

Grandison didn't look very good out there --I think it's as simple as that. It wasn't a game to experiment or give away minutes for the sake of development.

We talked about having depth this year, but between the injuries and where some of the new guys appear to be at, it looks to me like we're reliant on a pretty thin rotation. That could change, but it's no where near where a lot of us thought it would be.

Grandison didn't look very good out there --I think it's as simple as that. It wasn't a game to experiment or give away minutes for the sake of development.

We talked about having depth this year, but between the injuries and where some of the new guys appear to be at, it looks to me like we're reliant on a pretty thin rotation. That could change, but it's no where near where a lot of us thought it would be.
Re. injuries. I head Deon Thomas say today that Hutch will likely be back before BBV because BBV injured his foot again. Don't know if that was in reference to his injury early in the semester of if it is another new injury. I had heard Underwood say earlier this week that BBV was closer to returning than Hutch.

Yes, I do think that's what they're doing. I don't intend to claim, however, that there's a one-size-fits-all intensity to it. I also note with Izzo, having watched him for many years, that he deftly modulates his anger depending on the player. One reason why he's a HOF coach, in my opinion, is that he knows what motivates a particular player and what doesn't. Some shut down in the face of aggressive correction. The issue then is how you motivate and teach them to play with discipline and consistency.

Frankly, I think it would be interesting to have a player with Mark Smith's talent and temperament on our team in another couple years and see how BU pushes him differently from how he handled the young man early in his coaching term here. Perhaps he would use different buttons or push the same ones more softly. The man has shown that he learns, changes, and improves. Or, perhaps, there's a floor of tolerance for a$$-kicking he requires and if the player can't reach it then he's out. I don't know.

Am interested in what others think, particularly those active in coaching today. It's easy to say "kids are different today." I don't think they are. The broader culture's different. It's the culture within a program and a player's desire to fit and follow that is the determining factor. Love is extending yourself so that someone else may grow. That's what an effective coach does, IMO. Sometimes it involves a blowtorch to motivate. Sometimes not.
I actually talked to Izzo a few days after the Henry yell fest. He told me that he just lost it. He said Winston had to calm him down. He didn't even want his assts getting in his way.There was nothing said about trying to imbue toughness into the player. He said he was frustrated because of the many times that they had gone over that situation and, in his words, "just lost it". I have known Izzo since his asst coaching days and see no reason that he would lie to me about that.You are entitled to your own opinion about what he was doing but, I am telling you what he said.

Re. injuries. I head Deon Thomas say today that Hutch will likely be back before BBV because BBV injured his foot again. Don't know if that was in reference to his injury early in the semester of if it is another new injury. I had heard Underwood say earlier this week that BBV was closer to returning than Hutch.
Pretty sure I saw a tweet before the Chicago state game saying BBV was out early running sprints and putting up free throws. Guess he could have reinjured it then but if not would think he’s got to be pretty close.

BillyBob1

Champaign
Pretty sure I saw a tweet before the Chicago state game saying BBV was out early running sprints and putting up free throws. Guess he could have reinjured it then but if not would think he’s got to be pretty close.
Heard that too. Running was part of the rehab.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

He's busy selling tickets to the Cheap Trick concert.

py-ttM.gif

CoalCity

St Paul, MN

Frazier started the game on Preston and Preston was killing him, that's why Ayo was on him. Preston was just too big for Trent to handle. Ayo did better but by then Preston was really feelin it and was damn near impossible to stop.

As for Grandison, he didnt play very well at all. Seemed lost on defense and his offensive spacing wasn't good. Looked very uncomfortable. They just couldn't leave him out there.

illini80

Forgottonia

I feel like we overestimate our depth on a regular basis. On the other hand, I think the extra tic benefits the guys on the court and may make us stronger by the end of the season.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Stats breakdown by possession for this game.

Interesting to see how we had almost exactly the same # of "useful" possessions (game possessions + ORs - TOs) as Ohio, but in a very different way — sloppier with the ball, but pulled down enough ORs to compensate for it. And with those useful possessions, we were just a a hair more efficient, and that let us pull down a win.

Hoping to add some numbers to these plots in the next iteration so we can quickly see how many points each team had from 3s/2s/FTs.

20201127_IL_Ohio.png

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Always appreciate your breakdowns, danielb927. In a future version, can you add some labels or a key? Thanks as always!

Out of curiosity I looked at the preseason coaches poll for the MAC. Ohio is ranked 2nd behind Bowling Green. Jason Preston is on the preseason first team. (He was on the first team at the end of last season too.) Ben Vander Plas is on the 2nd team. It's interesting that all 5 players on the first team are guards and 4 of the 5 second team are classified as forwards.

I don't understand the 3 games in 3 days excuse either. That was the same case for Ohio too, and they had to travel for their 2nd game. They simply kicked it into another gear against us.

I'll tip my cap to Preston. I thought Ayo did a decent job when on him, but he hit some tough shots over him and the help defense of Kofi. Even his final shot was pretty good defense by us, but like the rest of the game whatever he threw up was no doubt going in. Kid looks like a legit NBA prospect in my eyes.

Ohio has all the makings of that 13/14 seed no one wants to see come tourney time if they win the MAC, as long as Preston is beasting it up for them night in, night out. I'd love to see how they do the rest of the way.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Always appreciate your breakdowns, danielb927. In a future version, can you add some labels or a key? Thanks as always!
Definitely! This is still a very hacked-together bit of code... so I appreciate you guys helping to make it more useful! Ultimately I hope to turn this into something on the web, where you have a few different views to choose from.

Watched most of Ohio’s pick and roll baskets. They executed great, but our defense was really poor. Lots of times 2 of our guys switched onto the same guy, leaving an Ohio player wide open. Or, the picker’s defender got caught in no man’s land on the switch. Giorgi was a particularly egregious offender on the latter.

I’m going to chalk it up to 3 games in 3 days and not having sufficient time to scout/practice/get comfort on switches. Sure hope they fix it before Wednesday.

Watching this game I saw the camera cut to BU and he's sitting there calm and relaxed on the bench while we were playing horribly. Made me think he WANTED them to struggle. Also made me think back to Bob Knight coaching and how it almost seemed like he TRIED to lose a pre-conference game year after year.

Watching this game I saw the camera cut to BU and he's sitting there calm and relaxed on the bench while we were playing horribly. Made me think he WANTED them to struggle. Also made me think back to Bob Knight coaching and how it almost seemed like he TRIED to lose a pre-conference game year after year.
I saw that once too. Similar thoughts, except that thankfully no Knight.