Illinois 77, UNLV 74 POSTGAME

I think Samba's D will be huge for this team. When someone blows by our over aggressive guards, they won't have an uncontested layup anymore.

yep. but posters on here seem to act like we are one of the worst teams in the country. I think we win out the non-conference and go 7-13 in conference. Not good, nothing to hype about, but improvement.
we finished at kenpom #102 last yr. we are at 107 now early...barely head of rutgers and behind mizzou at 95. If we can get to kenpos 80s or 90s this year that will show that we are progressing. With our schedule I dont think we will be able to gauge progress on record. If we win 7 games in conf I think we will at least be in kenpoms top 80. currently all b10 teams except for rutgers and us are in top 54 and 8 are in kenpom top 30.

I've now watched six games in their entirety, including today's win. I'm afraid we're just not very good. The Top 10 teams in the conference are going to destroy us.
I think it's mostly due to lack of recruiting. There's not enough talent on the court. We desperately need: (1) a dominant scoring and rebounding presence in the middle (Mel Turpin/KY - Larry Johnson/UNLV - Waymon Tisdale/OKLA - Kenyon Martin/CIN), and (2) a spot-up shooting guard who can hit 50% and occasionally go 6-8 from 3 point range when needed (a Doug Altenberger or Luther Head type).

Otherwise we're just a bunch of small & talented guards plus one raw/promising FR big man. And I still feel Ayo is our best player.

What the hell, why not ask for Lebron James?

I hope everyone realizes that even in a strong Big Ten at worse we would need to be 18-13 (add 1-1 in the BTT for 19-14) by March. Unless everyone sees something that I don’t, it’s hard to envision us going 15-6 the rest of the way. I’m thinking more 8-13ish

illini80

Forgottonia
yep. but posters on here seem to act like we are one of the worst teams in the country. I think we win out the non-conference and go 7-13 in conference. Not good, nothing to hype about, but improvement.
I'd take that in a heartbeat. Curious where you see 7 B10 wins coming from though.

I've now watched six games in their entirety, including today's win. I'm afraid we're just not very good. The Top 10 teams in the conference are going to destroy us.
I think it's mostly due to lack of recruiting. There's not enough talent on the court. We desperately need: (1) a dominant scoring and rebounding presence in the middle (Mel Turpin/KY - Larry Johnson/UNLV - Waymon Tisdale/OKLA - Kenyon Martin/CIN), and (2) a spot-up shooting guard who can hit 50% and occasionally go 6-8 from 3 point range when needed (a Doug Altenberger or Luther Head type).

Otherwise we're just a bunch of small & talented guards plus one raw/promising FR big man. And I still feel Ayo is our best player.

So at center we won't be any good until we someone the caliber of:
A top 6 draft pick, 2 National POYs, and a 3 time all american. Until then we will never be good. Makes sense. Us and every other non blood blood then.

IllFanInMi

I
The thing that's remarkable to me is when people simply assert, at this early stage of the season, that "that's an awful team" etc. as has been done to G'town, Notre Dame, UNLV... three serious Bball schools with serious histories, nine months after a 16 beat a 1.
UNLV lost to Valpo at home

IllFanInMi

I
Really dislike underwood dressing down Feliz like that toward the end of the game. It’s a bad look, especially after the performance Feliz had today.

I immediately thought the same thing. You could read his lips "What the F@@k you doing out here". Terrible look! I don't see other coaches berate their players like he does all came long. I think it would be very hard to play for him. Recruiting will suffer with his style.

By the way Kane showed today in glimpses how much better we could be if we had a legitimate big man.

Tom Izzo does the exact same thing, but he will do it when they’re up by 20 against a team like UNLV.

Tom Izzo puts guys into the league every year and also has former players in the NBA that will vouch for him as a coach and father figure.

BU doesn’t have the resume nor the stable of former players to vouch for him to look like Bobby Knight 2.0 every game. It effects current players and more importantly, recruits.

I see what you’re saying, but people need to realize fans are not privy to how a coach truly interacts with his players. We know very little about Underwood’s personal relationship with these kids. I’m sure he shows plenty of love to these players too.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
My favorite play of the whole game was Samba, in a broken play, turning and driving hard to the basket for two. The instinct is there, just needs more time. Just imagine his motor coupled with more strength...very hopeful.

IllFanInMi

I
Tom Izzo puts guys into the league every year and also has former players in the NBA that will vouch for him as a coach and father figure.

BU doesn’t have the resume nor the stable of former players to vouch for him to look like Bobby Knight 2.0 every game. It effects current players and more importantly, recruits.

So a coach has to achieve certain results to earn their right to coach to their style? If anyone has an issue with BU’s style they should write a letter to JW, he surely evaluated his sideline demeanor before stroking the check.

THIS IS BIG TIME ATHLETICS, I’m not sure those complaining about BU’s style understand what that truly means. There are coaches as hard or harder than him coaching youth sports!

I don’t advocate one style over another, but BU is not out of line IMO. He’s trying to instill his passion and desire to be successful. Goto the football board and see all the posters complaining about Lovies laid back style.

My daughter gets undressed constantly by her 7th grade travel team coach and I have supported him 90% of the time. As long as a coach doesn’t cross that line I’m good with it.

I haven’t been a supporter of BU, but I have no issues with his style. He also shows love to the same players he rips!

A "what the f you doing" on TV is not cool. Feliz made a play that is ok in 95% of situations but not when your trying to run clock.

How can they improve without playing games?

Well, for whatever reason/s, the kids did not pick up BU's O/D. After the tOSU game, BU mentioned that coaches had been stressing to Kipper to get in the lane ..........................................................................for 18 months.

On the flip side seems to me the two bigs (GB and SK) have picked up their roles pretty good (outside of fouling 40 ft from the basket :mad:).

So, I would suggest that the team grind it out between the next three games - each a week apart. Come Jan this team should rock and roll.

The potential is clearly there (IMVVHO).

IllFanInMi

I
A "what the f you doing" on TV is not cool. Feliz made a play that is ok in 95% of situations but not when your trying to run clock.

Again, I’m not saying I think BU’s actions are correct 100% of the time. All I’m saying is I don’t think he’s ever crossed a line. If he has then there would be disciplinary actions opposed against him. He’s can be a hard nosed S.O.B. whose feeling the pressure, but so far I haven’t seen anything that many other coaches do.

So many coaches want to portray a certain image, but I can tell you from experience and knowing many others that have played at a high level, there’s a lot that goes on that most would call a coaches head for. These are highly driven, intense men, and they don’t get to that level of coaching without certain traits.

Illinivek23

Gurnee
Again, I’m not saying I think BU’s actions are correct 100% of the time. All I’m saying is I don’t think he’s ever crossed a line. If he has then there would be disciplinary actions opposed against him. He’s can be a hard nosed S.O.B. whose feeling the pressure, but so far I haven’t seen anything that many other coaches do.

So many coaches want to portray a certain image, but I can tell you from experience and knowing many others that have played at a high level, there’s a lot that goes on that most would call a coaches head for. These are highly driven, intense men, and they don’t get to that level of coaching without certain traits.

Buddy of mine was complaining about Chris Collins constantly chewing his guys out during games. I was a little surprised, but he said they all do it at this level.

Illinivek23

Gurnee
Remember past years when freshman could barely get some playing time? We have 3-5 getting key minutes - gonna take some.time. I think we are looking improved - made layups and hit some runners. Seemed to being running the O without the pinch handoff, except a few times.

IllFanInMi

I
Buddy of mine was complaining about Chris Collins constantly chewing his guys out during games. I was a little surprised, but he said they all do it at this level.

Many do, and many are complete A Holes at practice; worse than games, but they get paid millions to produce a big time product.

Bottom line is that it is a privilege, not a right to play at this level, or any level for that matter, especially when a school pays an athlete.

Most kids know this and as long as a coach doesn’t “pick” on a player, they’re all able to deal with it. These kids are tougher than we give them credit for.

Deleted member 746094

D
Samba screams of a tall-athletic kid that could be dominant as a JR! I try to think about Greg E. catching the ball at the pinch post and his defender over-helping to the cutter side. He just stands there. Kane read it immediately and took it straight to the hoop and finished strong. OA could earn his money with GB and Kane alone over the next 36 months!

Illini_1979

Oregon
I don’t know how much more of BU I can support from a “personality” standpoint.
I, too, have some concerns when I see BU yell at a player on the sidelines. There are other ways to get the point across. However, it is probably best to get the point across at the time when the player makes the mistake than waiting until later. So, it appears that this is his style and we need to get used to it. I doubt that a bunch of message board posters will get him to change.

That said, he does seem to have a softer side at times too:

10 or so post in and i already see somebody boo hooing about Underwood getting after Feliz toward the end of the game. He should have that was a bad entry to GB under the circumstances. No need for that pass. These guys are men they can take it.

Complaining about BU's interaction with his players is just unbelievable. Unless you are with them 24-7 you have no idea what his relationship is with them. From my point of view it looks for the most part that they would run through a wall for him, and that says something.