Illinois 77, UNLV 74 POSTGAME

sacraig

The desert
I'm not seeing the same thing you're seeing. I'm seeing a 10 win team. I hope your vision is better than mine.

I've seen a team that is young and flawed but generally plays hard and shows flashes. A team that has played a tough schedule and nearly won a few they shouldn't have and definitely lost a few they shouldn't have. It's all a matter of if and when we "figure it out" in more than just flashes.

Deleted member 236589

D
I'm not seeing the same thing you're seeing. I'm seeing a 10 win team. I hope your vision is better than mine.
This. A home win vs an awful team is good for the mind, but it doesn't change the reality. The Big 10 is loaded. 3-17 or 4-16 in conference is very possible.

blackdog

Champaign
I did notice what I hope was a learning moment for Georgi when he tried to jump a player at half court and got called for an obvious dumb foul. He tried to argue with the ref as he was going to the bench and BU looked at him and told him it was foul. It was weird after but the ref talked to Georgi while the next play was going and explained the call to him and BU had a huge smile on his face the whole time. Really looked like Georgi listened and took the message to heart.

I am not impressed with the overall team, but am impressed with small improvements that could be building blocks. Seems to me that the kids are starting to understand BU's O and D. BUT, the clock is slowly running out. The kids can no longer use games to improve.

I don’t see us remotely near the bubble in March. But I see a bad team that could get much, much better in the coming years. I think BU’s career and the next five years of Illini basketball will depend on player retention the next two years.

Concur, a strong core that wins will help recruiting. Need Kofi and all contributors back next season. Play Tevian.

Very encouraging to see Kane get minutes, he has some significant upside and has to keep getting more minutes

Some very encouraging signs today. I thought both Feliz and Kane were pleasant surprises. Feliz made a bad play at the end and BU almost lost it, but when Illinois needed a basket the rest of the game, he was the one who had multiple key baskets at very critical times. I think making any kind of tournament would be very tough based on where we stand right now, but as I have said many times, I'd be surprised if this team does not improve. Despite UNLV giving us a thriller at the end, I thought we made strides forward today.

Deleted member 380722

D
I've now watched six games in their entirety, including today's win. I'm afraid we're just not very good. The Top 10 teams in the conference are going to destroy us.
I think it's mostly due to lack of recruiting. There's not enough talent on the court. We desperately need: (1) a dominant scoring and rebounding presence in the middle (Mel Turpin/KY - Larry Johnson/UNLV - Waymon Tisdale/OKLA - Kenyon Martin/CIN), and (2) a spot-up shooting guard who can hit 50% and occasionally go 6-8 from 3 point range when needed (a Doug Altenberger or Luther Head type).

Otherwise we're just a bunch of small & talented guards plus one raw/promising FR big man. And I still feel Ayo is our best player.

So you want a championship caliber team. Got it. Why hasn't anyone else thought of this?

Promising yes, but the competition probably has a lot to do about that.
last year we weren’t challenged by a team anywhere close to UNLV at this point. Tough schedule is paying off, that was a bordline top 125 team we played. Not world beaters, but for 30-35 minutes in that game we were by far the better team.

Deleted member 631370

D
last year we weren’t challenged by a team anywhere close to UNLV at this point. Tough schedule is paying off, that was a bordline top 125 team we played. Not world beaters, but for 30-35 minutes in that game we were by far the better team.

Oof. You know times are lean when we're hyping a win over a "borderline top-125 team".

Really dislike underwood dressing down Feliz like that toward the end of the game. It’s a bad look, especially after the performance Feliz had today.

I immediately thought the same thing. You could read his lips "What the F@@k you doing out here". Terrible look! I don't see other coaches berate their players like he does all came long. I think it would be very hard to play for him. Recruiting will suffer with his style.

By the way Kane showed today in glimpses how much better we could be if we had a legitimate big man.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
The thing that's remarkable to me is when people simply assert, at this early stage of the season, that "that's an awful team" etc. as has been done to G'town, Notre Dame, UNLV... three serious Bball schools with serious histories, nine months after a 16 beat a 1.
And Loyola made the FF.

Samba is a freshman and will have his share of rough spots this year, but today he looked good and showed flashes of real potential. Good for him.

I personally like Samba in some respects better than Giorgi. I think he moves better without the ball and even takes better defensive angles as well. If he had at least had 60% of Giorgi's skillset let alone hands, he might get the nod to start.

Oof. You know times are lean when we're hyping a win over a "borderline top-125 team".
yep. but posters on here seem to act like we are one of the worst teams in the country. I think we win out the non-conference and go 7-13 in conference. Not good, nothing to hype about, but improvement.

I did notice what I hope was a learning moment for Georgi when he tried to jump a player at half court and got called for an obvious dumb foul. He tried to argue with the ref as he was going to the bench and BU looked at him and told him it was foul. It was weird after but the ref talked to Georgi while the next play was going and explained the call to him and BU had a huge smile on his face the whole time. Really looked like Georgi listened and took the message to heart.
Playing a defense where your foul prone freshman big is trying to trap someone 40 feet from the basket is not on Giorgi.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I personally like Samba in some respects better than Giorgi. I think he moves better without the ball and even takes better defensive angles as well. If he had at least had 60% of Giorgi's skillset let alone hands, he might get the nod to start.
From what I've seen, he has very good hands and I'm pretty sure DT pointed that out during the broadcast.

I am shocked. We gutted out a close game!
I am not impressed with the overall team, but am impressed with small improvements that could be building blocks. Seems to me that the kids are starting to understand BU's O and D. BUT, the clock is slowly running out. The kids can no longer use games to improve.
How can they improve without playing games?

I've now watched six games in their entirety, including today's win. I'm afraid we're just not very good. The Top 10 teams in the conference are going to destroy us.
I think it's mostly due to lack of recruiting. There's not enough talent on the court. We desperately need: (1) a dominant scoring and rebounding presence in the middle (Mel Turpin/KY - Larry Johnson/UNLV - Waymon Tisdale/OKLA - Kenyon Martin/CIN), and (2) a spot-up shooting guard who can hit 50% and occasionally go 6-8 from 3 point range when needed (a Doug Altenberger or Luther Head type).

Otherwise we're just a bunch of small & talented guards plus one raw/promising FR big man. And I still feel Ayo is our best player.
Interesting.

You say the top ten in the conference will destroy us. Then you say we need a center and list 4 examples. NONE of your examples were in the conference.