Illinois 77, UNLV 74 POSTGAME

Deleted member 236589

D
yep. but posters on here seem to act like we are one of the worst teams in the country. I think we win out the non-conference and go 7-13 in conference. Not good, nothing to hype about, but improvement.
Find 7 games on the remaining schedule that you believe we'll be favored in. East Tennessee State, Florida Atlantic, Rutgers(Home) and Penn State(Home)?

Where are you possibility seeing 7-13 in conference. We're already 0-2. You think this team has the horses to go 7-11? Find me the 7 conference games that you feel "good" about us winning.

Lets be positive and say we beat Missouri, East Tennessee State and Florida Atlantic. We'd be 6-7 with 18 conference games remaining. I think 4-14 is our best case scenario. That puts us at 10-21. It stinks to lay it out like that, but it's what it is.

Of the major conferences (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC and Big East)....we'd finish in the bottom three of every one of them. So yes, we are one of the worst teams in the country.

Being positive, 10-21 might not even be a failure if we're playing and developing young players. Maybe we'll be scrappy at the end...who knows?

To say they're going to win 7 conference games is just pulling a number out of the air.

I would LOVE to be wrong. Thrilled to be! However with the remaining schedule, the talent level and the experience level of this club....if we get to 13 wins, that would be a wildly successful season.

Remember past years when freshman could barely get some playing time? We have 3-5 getting key minutes - gonna take some.time. I think we are looking improved - made layups and hit some runners. Seemed to being running the O without the pinch handoff, except a few times.

True but not a lot of choice when you bring in new players after gutting 80% of the roster. Lol.

Really liked Kane and Feliz today. Hope Kane starts absorbing DLR’s minutes. His ceiling is infinitely higher.

Really dislike underwood dressing down Feliz like that toward the end of the game. It’s a bad look, especially after the performance Feliz had today.
Ill take a coach thats never satisfied anyday than have a mentally week team.

sacraig

The desert
I look forward to the day when message board posters stop acting like BU yelling is any different than other coaches.

Coaches yell. Great coaches yell. Bad coaches yell. Some do, some don't. It happens. BU is not special.

We only want people who want to be here, more Samba, Griffin, Tev, minutes the next 3 games will only make us stronger, lets GO!

Tacomallini

Washington State
I did notice what I hope was a learning moment for Georgi when he tried to jump a player at half court and got called for an obvious dumb foul. He tried to argue with the ref as he was going to the bench and BU looked at him and told him it was foul. It was weird after but the ref talked to Georgi while the next play was going and explained the call to him and BU had a huge smile on his face the whole time. Really looked like Georgi listened and took the message to heart.
The way that Giorgi talks to the refs after most of his fouls, plus his personality makes me think he's going to be able to get away with murder on the court as a senior.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
When we played Nebraska a few years back one of their players made a total boneheaded play and the cameras caught Miles yelling at him as they cut for commercials - he was clearly yelling, "WHO THE *&^% DO YOU THINK YOU ARE". I figured if that guy is unleashing like that on players, most others must be too...

I look forward to the day when message board posters stop acting like BU yelling is any different than other coaches.

Coaches yell. Great coaches yell. Bad coaches yell. Some do, some don't. It happens. BU is not special.

I’m pretty neutral on the coaching demeanor topic, and I agree completely that good coaches and bad coaches yell, and good coaches and bad coaches don’t yell (would love to see a four quadrant matrix on that). But I think the end of a close game is a good time for a coach to show some poise, even if a player hasn’t.

Deleted member 29907

D
Unless he wasn’t ready scheme-wise.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That was the word and you have to take BU's word for it. I see no reason you wouldn't play a 7 foot shot blocker ASAP if he was ready - which includes both sides of the ball. That said bigger (wider) posts (Wesson for example) would have destroyed him with bulk and post up moves. UNLV had similarly skinny bigs that allowed Samba to get some tick without being posted up.

Seems like he's now got the offense (although I hope his hands are better than shown a few times yesterday - perhaps just playing fast in his first big game). Lets hope it just gets better from here as he's a MUCH bigger threat than ADLR at this point.

Got to be happy with a win of any sort at this point. Encouraged by the play of Samba, relative to previous games and what I have read on here.

Hopefully we can surprise some people in the BIG. Had quite a few blocked shots, most if not all by FR. Griffin had a couple along with Samba. Hopefully it is development of the players and not just poor competition. Defense at least looked adequate.

GO ILLINI!

I was glad to see Samba Kane get some meaningful minutes. He responded well and needs to be on the court more. Also, don't get me wrong, I was very happy the Illini got a win yesterday. However, if they would of lost, it was on BU for trying to run out the clock with 3+ minutes left in the game instead of running the offense.

Kane looked good enough that not seeing more of him earlier is a mark against Underwood.
Did you not watch any other games with Kane this year? This is the best he has looked so far. And Underwood said during the post game that he thought Kane could be successful against this team.

Find 7 games on the remaining schedule that you believe we'll be favored in. East Tennessee State, Florida Atlantic, Rutgers(Home) and Penn State(Home)?

Where are you possibility seeing 7-13 in conference. We're already 0-2. You think this team has the horses to go 7-11? Find me the 7 conference games that you feel "good" about us winning. .

Given our performances against Gonzaga and Ohio State, I think we have to say every single game is winnable. I wouldnt say, I feel good about winning any of them, but I think we have 18 remaining conference games in which we could win. Chances are we will steal 2-4 of them and win the 1-3 that we will be favored in. That total is 3-7, so I dont think 7 is entirely unreasonable. Yes, we are 0-2, but we havent yet had a home game, and both losses were to ranked teams.

Its pretty clear, at present we do not have any potential first round draft choices.
As other have pointed out, we have players who show "flashes.
The level of inconsistency is extremely high
We play hard
Can Underwood forge these players into a unified and coherent unit which plays consistently at both ends of the court
This is what I was wondering during the game.......
P.S.
Did someone mention we were recruiting a player as good as Waymon Tisdale? :)

Just my observation....but it looks like Ayo is trying to put a square peg through a round hole...just needs to relax a little more and let the game come to him

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
You think some magic thing happened between the Ohio State game and yesterday?

If by "magic" you mean getting up to speed with the rest of the team that had been practicing, playing, working out, and watching video together eight weeks more than he had....then yes. BU's idea of when a freshman 5 is ready for high major game competition is light years ahead of everyone here.
This is all debate for our entertainment. BU has to decide for real. Trying to postulate our views as opposed to a coach with 30 odd years of coaching experience is pretty funny.

Kane has the chance to be a very good 5 here. Trying to rush him in just to get a couple of W's is worthless and could have backfired.