Illinois 78, Iowa 76 POSTGAME

I know it's been discussed already, but that shot by Fraizer was one of the worst decision's he's made all year. I get the (presumed) mentality: Hit that shot, confidence boosted, game essentially won. Between that and the next position where Ayo took it to the rim and missed early, we should've knocked 40 seconds more off the clock (when there was only about 100 seconds left on the clock when Fraizer heaved that 3). Ayo missing that front end was so reminiscent of the past decade.

Given that we won (and that's all that really matters), I'll chalk it up to a good thing, these guys have had very few games like that and situations like that. Learning experiences like that, especially when it doesn't cost you a game, are invaluable. It's easy to teach something and make it sound logical and have players buy in. It's another to have the exact situation happen, have the (almost) worst case scenario realized when you go against the teachings, and now have a great example of what not to do. Sliver linings.

Deleted member 29907

D
Love the win, and the contributions from so many different guys. Kipper! And is Giorgi back? If everybody plays like that, and Trent gets his shot back, we could go deep.
Hey CJ, that's quite an out-bounds-play of yours where your tight end drives our linebacker into the stands. /s
But I am impressed with how fast and hard Iowa does run and cut off the ball. Hope we take a lesson from them there.
Assuming they get past the 2nd round, we really need to give the refs a heads up and then take a charge on that stupid in bounds play. The Iowa board acts like everyone else is physical and they are not. Are they not watching Garza out there and all of the moving picks they set for each other?

Assuming they get past the 2nd round, we really need to give the refs a heads up and then take a charge on that stupid in bounds play. The Iowa board acts like everyone else is physical and they are not. Are they not watching Garza out there and all of the moving picks they set for each other?

Yeah, I remember thinking multiple times in the second half that I would love it if just once Garza would come set on a screen

I have not watched the game yet, but I was fortunate enough to give Andres Feliz a hug and Thank You for myself and all ya'all...it was evident that he apreciates being an Illini and representing the University of Illinois. He was having dinner with I believeve was his family at Niel street Blues.
I would love to meet Andres. That guy is a winner, pure and simple

Konnie

Western Suburbs
Does this get filed under S for snowflake; P for Poor Loser; or simply L for Loser?
He didn't do himself any favors. He comes across a softie and this makes good material for any team that plays against him to post and coach how to play defense against him. You don't see Kofi, Luka, or other centers complaining. They all get push, hacked, pulled but they come to each game ready to play and not complain.

The last 2 home games vs IU and Iowa, the box scores say we took their best shot, or close to it, and still won. But I still don’t think we’ve played our best.

I feel like Wisconsin, Michigan State, and OSU have all found another gear in the last 2-3 weeks. I think we have another gear yet and it comes when Allen and Trent consistently knock down open shots and Giorgi rounds into form. We got that other gear I think we can make a deep run. Giorgi seems right on the cusp and Trent showed flashes vs Iowa. The question is can we find it in the next 2 weeks or so?

Either way, it’s been a fun season, and I can’t wait to see the freshman and transfers next year. Go Illini!

Great win. Such a pleasure to watch this team. They rarely do it the easy way, but they more often than not this year they've gotten it done.

Just a few musings.
-- I had no problem with the seniors starting. It is fricking senior day. Tyler had two nice assists to Kofi, setting the tone. And what were the Illini down once substitutions occurred -- 6 pts?
-- Historically, I've never hated Iowa like some on here do, but Fran and Co. make it easy to hate the basketball team.
-- Over the last 3 games, DMW is averaging 7.3 ppg on 62.5% from 3 and 58.3% overall. Shoot more baby.
-- I seem to be in the minority, but I wish we didn't have to play Iowa again so quickly. Such a tough match up.
-- As fans, we forget that we are privy to only what happens on the court. I loved Ayo talking about Kipper during the press conference. Yes, every fan has lamented about bad Kipper and what seemingly could have been, but Kipper has still been having a positive impact on this team. Happy for him that last night that positive impact could be seen by all the fans during the game.
-- Like I've done for the last handful of games, I don't read the game thread during or even right after a game. But when I finally got around to reading it today, I noticed a poster who 97% only posts negative things. When the Illini went on their run, no posts. Iowa comes back, so does the poster with more negative comments. No need to name the poster (and can't remember the moniker anyway), but dang just enjoy the team and the game.

I do not like the comments from the Iowa players and coach complaining about calls. Facts - Illini 19 fouls at home & Iowa 18 fouls (at Iowa Ill 19 / Iowa 15). Garza (great ball player) tugs, pushes, & throws shoulders as much as anyone in the league "without fouling". It was a physical game and was called pretty even both ways.

The last play at the buzzer sums it up. The new stud (Kofi) took down the old stud (Garza) - time for the Illini to reign over Iowa.

With Garza, it is easy to see how he gets post by extending both arms full fledge with elbows out. It should be an offensive foul every freaking time.

Kipper is the most enigmatic player in recent memory. Games like this, where he plays almost perfectly (albeit in limited minutes) is something he'll pull out a few times a year. Then you've got another chunk of games where you think "if he didn't make that absolute mindboggling play or two..." where he really has a great offensive and defensive game, then just loses focus once or twice, really bad, and it ruins how his game looked. Then you've got the Kipper who is just invisible on the court. I'm pretty confident he has the worst decline in 3pt% in this history of CBB: 44%, 38%, 22%, 11%. I get his game evolved (as did the talent and team around him), but how often does someone declin by at least 6% every year? He has to be the only case of this.

His Sophomore year gave me so much hope he'd be a 30 mpg guy. But I'm happy for him for finally getting this team to this level of success. Absolutely deserved. And I actually think he played his role as well as could be expected this year.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Certainly has been a great season for the Illini, and if anyone told us that they would be 21-10 with a 4 seed in the conference tournament before the season started we would have taken it in a heartbeat. However the ability to execute on offense to close games out is becoming a major issue. They do a pretty good job closing out on defense, but unless Ayo dons his red cape and hits some ridiculous shot, little seems to get accomplished on offense down the stretch. A lot of people talk about GB contributing more and Frazier shooting the ball better, but it hasn't happened all season and is not likely to happen in the postseason.

Certainly has been a great season for the Illini, and if anyone told us that they would be 21-10 with a 4 seed in the conference tournament before the season started we would have taken it in a heartbeat. However the ability to execute on offense to close games out is becoming a major issue. They do a pretty good job closing out on defense, but unless Ayo dons his red cape and hits some ridiculous shot, little seems to get accomplished on offense down the stretch. A lot of people talk about GB contributing more and Frazier shooting the ball better, but it hasn't happened all season and is not likely to happen in the postseason.
I think you are forgetting the games where Trent did bury the three and Dre drove the rim for baskets and fouls. Ayo has been given that role (rightfully so) and the others have their roles. Not saying the others can do what Ayo does but they have been pretty successful with their end results.