Illinois 78, Maryland 67 POSTGAME

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Credit to both Underwood for the idea and Frazier for the execution of blanketing Cowan and denying him the ball down the stretch of that game. It totally rattled Maryland, he's the conductor of their orchestra.

Jones won’t shoot like that every game but he doesn’t need to. He’s a legitimate threat offensively which will make us harder to guard. Should open things up for Frazier, Ayo and Giorgi.

For whatever reason, though this team has proven to me to have the potential for being on of the best shooting teams ever for the Illini, they simply have had a lid over the basket for two years. Jones, Ayo, Griffin, Frazier, Damonte, Kipper and Jordan all have great strokes and are capable of putting the ball inside the cylinder on every shot, something very good shooters always do. However, that has not been the case, except for two of the past 5 games. It has to do with rushed shots and confidence....and the determination of the opponent to defend shooters and not allow them space. Those seven guys are beginning to get some confidence in themselves and each other....and shots are starting to fall.

One thing that has been consistent....and has to be to build a winning culture...is the defensive effort. It fell a little short a couple of games, but these kids can defend with quickness and aggressiveness. That has to happen for nights when made shots are at a premium but the cornerstones are in place.

For the first time in two years, this team really finished with confidence and grit...greatly helped by the Turgeon Technical. This finish is huge for confidence and attitude going forward. I expect Trent to be sucked into the vortex of confidence soon and then who knows what can happen? It is great to see and for the program's future that so many kids with talent are getting a chance to contribute meaningful minutes. It makes a statement that if you come to Illinois and can play both ends, you will be an important part of the team and starters will not have to play 40 minutes.

Some pundits I saw were predicting 4 conference wins, but 6 or 7 is possible. And if so, that builds momentum and confidence going into the B1G tourney where anything is possible....if you do not play the first night. Congrats to a hard working bunch of Illini hoopsters on staying the course. Watching these talented but young kids learn and grow together has been both painful and a delight.

Deleted member 643761

D
For whatever reason, though this team has proven to me to have the potential for being on of the best shooting teams ever for the Illini, they simply have had a lid over the basket for two years. Jones, Ayo, Griffin, Frazier, Damonte, Kipper and Jordan all have great strokes and are capable of putting the ball inside the cylinder on every shot, something very good shooters always do. However, that has not been the case, except for two of the past 5 games. It has to do with rushed shots and confidence....and the determination of the opponent to defend shooters and not allow them space. Those seven guys are beginning to get some confidence in themselves and each other....and shots are starting to fall.

One thing that has been consistent....and has to be to build a winning culture...is the defensive effort. It fell a little short a couple of games, but these kids can defend with quickness and aggressiveness. That has to happen for nights when made shots are at a premium but the cornerstones are in place.

For the first time in two years, this team really finished with confidence and grit...greatly helped by the Turgeon Technical. This finish is huge for confidence and attitude going forward. I expect Trent to be sucked into the vortex of confidence soon and then who knows what can happen? It is great to see and for the program's future that so many kids with talent are getting a chance to contribute meaningful minutes. It makes a statement that if you come to Illinois and can play both ends, you will be an important part of the team and starters will not have to play 40 minutes.

Some pundits I saw were predicting 4 conference wins, but 6 or 7 is possible. And if so, that builds momentum and confidence going into the B1G tourney where anything is possible....if you do not play the first night. Congrats to a hard working bunch of Illini hoopsters on staying the course. Watching these talented but young kids learn and grow together has been both painful and a delight.
Closing strong. We never seem to do it. Ten up with 30 seconds to go and I'm nervous because we never seem to make it easy. Except today.

We surely need Kipper though. I hope he figures it out and soon.

We need kipper in the bench that is. Maybe he can be a great practice player and spot sub in certain situations. Our biggest problem has been needing to rely (or hope to rely upon) a player like him. I’m not trying to be mean but the difference in skill and talent between a kipper type player and a player like Tevian Jones is night and day.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
So happy for these kids!!!
giphy (7).gif

Deleted member 643761

D
We need kipper in the bench that is. Maybe he can be a great practice player and spot sub in certain situations. Our biggest problem has been needing to rely (or hope to rely upon) a player like him. I’m not trying to be mean but the difference in skill and talent between a kipper type player and a player like Tevian Jones is night and day.
hope he's getting good grades. He seems to be lost.