Illinois 78, Maryland 67 POSTGAME

sacraig

The desert
Here I am at 3am getting ready to watch the game for the third time....Head hurts from continuous celebrating but expect pain to go away as I ease into my recliner and enjoy the visual of a very unexpected outcome....WE JUST BEAT THE #13 RANKED TEAM IN THE COUNTRY AT MSG....

View attachment 4065

View attachment 4066

View attachment 4067

View attachment 4069

It's one regular-season game in an otherwise poor season. We're all excited but I think maybe you need a time out.

I'm happy about the the win and about Kofi. However let's be real here......we are 6-14. Let that resonate ......6-14.
We are Illinois basketball.......6-14 is not, should not, be us.

With the above being said we need to use the rest of the year to become relevant again in Illinois, Chicago, the NCAA world, and be a NCAA tournament team next year.

Some people only see a win-loss record. Some of us watch basketball and like what we see. That is a young, hungry team. I've seen Illini teams with much better records that did not compete like this team competes. If you changed the statistic to something like "wins per average career minutes played per starter", and you'll see this year's team is doing well historically.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I was working today sadly, flying a round trip to Kalispell, MT. However, a strange occurrence now raises my eyebrows after coming home to see this wonderful news.....one of my (super cute) flight attendants overheard me talking with the gate agent in Kalispell who is a Northwestern engineering alum.
I mentioned being an Illini alum and my flight attendant then chimes in and says "hey me too!"....and this all was happening just as the Illini finished off the victory....and we bonded forever!!

QuaintConcreteAmericanwirehair-size_restricted.gif

DID THAT JUST HAPPEN!

A few observations:
1. Tevian's three point shooting was a key to victory.
2. Our free throw shooting also was a key to victory.
3. Overall hustle was outstanding. Jordan's rebounding and Trent's defense were exemplary.
Just a great TEAM win.
i totally agree. it's amazing how made 3 point shots increases desire.focus and hustle.

What happened that caused Turgeon to get a T right when the called the phantom foul on Giorgi in the closing minute? I missed that discussion.
With 35.4 seconds left you can hear someone say. “Hey you guys stunk today. This game was on you.“ If that is Turgeon and he was talking to the refs. That is the reason. :)

There was other stuff said after that but I couldn’t make it out.

I hear
With 35.4 seconds left you can hear someone say. “Hey you guys stunk today. This game was on you.“ If that is Turgeon and he was talking to the refs. That is the reason. :)

There was other stuff said after that but I couldn’t make it out.
I heard that too. Maybe the Illini just outplayed your team, Tuergeon. #soreloser

APS iMBA

Urbana, IL
Watchin the replay now on DVR. Down 11 with 5 left in the first half. Should i switch to Star Trek?

As much as I love Star Trek, save it for after the 2nd half fight. Best second-half showing of the Illini in years.

I live in the dmv Turg very very good recruiter but below average in game coach, BU changing his defenses kept the turtle off balance all day

The best plays are often assisted with the ref not blowing the whistle. My immediate reaction was Frazier was out of bounds. But then again Fernando was allowed to walk on multiple moves.

But he's the first one to touch the ball and never reestablishes himself.
It's ok if your wearing orange uniforms I think.But yeah I thought the same thing when the play first happened.

Last edited:
Isn't Frazier kind of blatantly out of bounds on that play?

He was able to get both feet back in it seems, and the other player did touch it first (requirement), Trent grabbed it away and off to the races?

Not sure if that’s directed at me for the feliz post but if so I’m hardly clambering. I’m simply repeatedly pleasantly surprised at his aggression going to the rim and finishing or getting fouled. It’s way more than I anticipated from him and I don’t think he gets 20 minutes per game. Maybe more time for him - and definitely for Jones - would make our offense harder to handle.
Not directed at anyone! I am sorry if you took it that way. It is more of a general statement. It is also to remind myself😂!