Illinois 78, Maryland 67 POSTGAME

breadman

Herndon, VA
Still holding to the creed that the only thing consistent with freshman is their inconsistency. So, TJ was sweet at maryland, now make it two in a row, I dare you!!

In terms of recruiting BU gets an A from me. When you have possible BIG all freshmen in Ayo and Giorgi and a talent like Tevian in one class you are getting it done. Some people were worried when BU was hired that he had the assistants to teach his system. That was very valid and probably has been the source of our impatience. However his Mgmt decisions in hiring assistants that were recruiters is looking like an excellent long term decision. Still hasn't proven he can coach IMO but it sure looks like he is putting the pieces in place. I probably have always looked at it from having five starters. It appears to me that he looks for a variety of parts that can be mixed and matched to compete with any matchup. Samba and Kofi for example are completely different players at the same position but will be used very differently in his system. Still an optimist but finding it difficult the past two years.

Deleted member 29907

D
TJ has always been looking for his shot even in limited minutes. Didn't do any research but not many players shooting nine three pointers in a game. He will score IMO if he gets the minutes and he will get the minutes if he is hitting. Still learning on defense but has the ability and will improve. Really think we have the pieces with Trent, Ayo, Giorgi, Tevian and the addition of Kofi. There is size, length, rebounding, and scoring ability plus a bench with Samba, DaMonte, Alan, Dre and Antwon.
Really hoping he does well obviously - but also remembering we, as fans, tend to get too high and too low - so I guess I am trying to be cautiously optimistic and he can regularly play 2/3s of what he did Saturday - we'll be pleased.

Not going to argue here, but is Giorgi really a 4, in your eyes? I have seen a lot of people suggest he play the 4, but I'm not sure I see him as a 4. I don't really think he'd play 4 for any team he was on. I guess I can see him play there if you have a 5 that is better than him, and if he is better than your other options at 4.

I guess I'd say he isn't a 4 for most teams, and maybe especially ours, where BU has all but said his 4 is a guard (or has guard skills).

If he came back next year with a better outside shot I think it could be doable.

Is it crazy to think that if and when TJ is moved into the starting line-up that he will average 10+ppg for the remainder of this season?! šŸ˜²

It seems to be a bit of a stretch. I'd just like to consistently see him on floor without immediately picking up fouls.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
In terms of recruiting BU gets an A from me. When you have possible BIG all freshmen in Ayo and Giorgi and a talent like Tevian in one class you are getting it done. Some people were worried when BU was hired that he had the assistants to teach his system. That was very valid and probably has been the source of our impatience. However his Mgmt decisions in hiring assistants that were recruiters is looking like an excellent long term decision. Still hasn't proven he can coach IMO but it sure looks like he is putting the pieces in place. I probably have always looked at it from having five starters. It appears to me that he looks for a variety of parts that can be mixed and matched to compete with any matchup. Samba and Kofi for example are completely different players at the same position but will be used very differently in his system. Still an optimist but finding it difficult the past two years.

I'm not sure how you can watch those locker room clips after our W's and think this. In a season like this he has a very solid grip on this team, despite all obstacles.
The thrashing of Minny shows that his X's and O's absolutely work.
These kids are 110% all in, and clearly there is lots of love in that locker room.

That's coaching.

Joel Goodson

respect my decisionā„¢
I'm not sure how you can watch those locker room clips after our W's and think this. In a season like this he has a very solid grip on this team, despite all obstacles.
The thrashing of Minny shows that his X's and O's absolutely work.
These kids are 110% all in, and clearly there is lots of love in that locker room.

That's coaching.

Spot on. As the studio guys (Katz, etc.) have stated, it would be very easy to lose a team, given our circumstances. But our staff hasn't lost the team. The buy in by the players appears to be very, very strong.

I've only seen Tevian play on Tv, but from what I've seen his D is suspect. He's flat footed on his heels too much. If he starts "smoking" the nets too regularly, a good opposing coach will make him guard.

I've only seen Tevian play on Tv, but from what I've seen his D is suspect. He's flat footed on his heels too much. If he starts "smoking" the nets too regularly, a good opposing coach will make him guard.

At this point to me he looks a little lanky. I'm not sure when he did most of his growing but it looks like he's still getting used to his body. Even with that being said, he makes up for a lot of that with his length and athleticism. He'll be fine

Deleted member 29907

D
Hopefully we can put him on the opponents 4th or 5th scoring option if need be. His length helps him be more versatile in that regard. But to your point, his on-ball D needs to improve. I was watching his off ball and boxing out from the last game and he seems to get that part of it - it's the on-ball that needs work as he does get blown by often.

Spot on. As the studio guys (Katz, etc.) have stated, it would be very easy to lose a team, given our circumstances. But our staff hasn't lost the team. The buy in by the players appears to be very, very strong.
Yup. I know the whole team is bought in. Underwood gets knocked a lot for his demeanor but the players love him heā€™s honest with them and they know what they are going to get from him day in and day out.

I understand the concept of pressure d (I think), but I don't see the purpose of making players put themselves into defensive positions that they can't back up, meaning, why not just let the TJs, GBs (who got burnt several times in the Maryland game) give a little space until their skills develop, while the others smother their guys (bc they can), while also denying the passing lanes? I think the easy layups and blow-bys we see every game are a result of this.

And yes, I realize I have no idea what I'm talking about haha.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
Yup. I know the whole team is bought in. Underwood gets knocked a lot for his demeanor but the players love him heā€™s honest with them and they know what they are going to get from him day in and day out.

I don't know about the whole team but I would agree that most have.

Joel Goodson

respect my decisionā„¢

Freshman, something, something, freshman. Yes, his D could be a lot better. And I expect it will, just not this season.

I have a feeling that when enough players on the team begin to contribute in a major way, Kipper is going to relax and start playing much better. I don't think he's comfortable being a main guy, but when more players start getting the attention, he'll be able to just focus on doing the things he does best. He's kind of a junk ball guy.

Not going to argue here, but is Giorgi really a 4, in your eyes? I have seen a lot of people suggest he play the 4, but I'm not sure I see him as a 4. I don't really think he'd play 4 for any team he was on. I guess I can see him play there if you have a 5 that is better than him, and if he is better than your other options at 4.

I guess I'd say he isn't a 4 for most teams, and maybe especially ours, where BU has all but said his 4 is a guard (or has guard skills).

I think the disconnect here is that (right now, based on how he's being utilized) we tend to think of him like more of an old-school 4 that a current-day 4. I was worried about him there too, but that's because we really haven't seen him play the 4, he's been almost exclusively a post-up player so far.

For him to be an effective 4 with Kofi/Samba in the game I think he needs to do the following (most important first):

1. Improve his D. He tends to push up too hard on players when not in the post. It's like he's trying to bang on the perimeter. He gets his pelvis/lower body too extended in to players. He's going to have to fix that or he's going to foul out fast or get blown by consistently.

2. Prove he's got the ball handling skills to play the 4 in this system. This one is hard to gauge right now based on how he's being utilized. He's shown a flash or two of being able to handle the ball and drive, but he just doesn't get the opportunity to prove he can do it consistently. He DEFINITELY can do it if he's guarded by cones, as his HS tape proves ;). I actually have good hope here.

3. Improve his long-range/3pt shooting.

probably to late but you can watch btn replays through the fox sports app as well, and they actually work there.
I use the btn app on a roku stick. I have directv now....replays are available a few hours after the game. Btn app not available on an amazon fire stick. Works great if you forget to record a game, and it turns out to be an upset win!

This is from a post from a guy at the game on the previous page of this thread.

"Dre. Wow. Big off the bench. He's making better decisions, though he made some poor ones early in the first half. At one point in first half he did something stupid (turnover, missed assignment) immediately followed by a time out. BU got in his face and was raging. "

First point is that we only see what the cameras show us if we're watching on TV.

Second, it stands to reason that when a team is playing well there will be less yelling. It doesn't stand to reason that in those instances that a coach has somehow changed his style.

Third, there will of course be times when "nuanced" coaching will be employed. But there's not a whole lot of nuance involved with many of the basics of basketball.

Fourth, all indications are that guys like the coach. I'm not real concerned personally about style points. Let's just win big.

My wife says BU has a "resting b*tch face".

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL

Something something positionless basketball something something.

Tevian's next big task will be to learn to play upright and under control...when he does dribble drive, he leans forward, he is off balance and he pushes off. He has 2 games in which this happens...the foul bail out against Maryland, and game before on a fast break drive. Opponents will make him drive, he will need to learn this quickly, much in the same way Dre had to learn to pull up and shoot a floater vs being blocked repetitively against superior talent he was not used to in the Juco ranks.

I believe his defense is behind his offense. I know Underwood is looking for ā€œinterchangeable partsā€, but Tevian could be exploited by quicker wings off the dribble. That doesnā€™t mean he canā€™t improve that part of his game. Everybody has something they need to work on. As long as he can keep hitting threes and spreading the defense, heā€™s going to play.