Illinois 78, Nicholls State 70 OT POSTGAME

Hopefully Tevian comes back soon and has something going. Going to need more scoring from the bench. Ideally he’d start and Feliz would come off the bench for rotation balance, but not sure if I see Andre getting benched with his performance.

Definitely not blaming BU, but I hope he learned something tonight. This wasn't a twin towers type of game. That was obvious in the first 5 minutes. Their pressure made it tough for us to run an offense. Get another ball handler in the game and more mobile defender. And let's not have 2 big men on the floor against a full court press when you're up by 15.

But the beautiful thing is nobody will care about this game when we're 3-0 on Monday. Survive and learn.

Punesguy

Ft. Collins, CO
Wow, after several deep breaths and a walk around the block, I think I'm better! Thank goodness we won but what an embarrassing effort! That goes for the coaches and players. To allow a team the level of Nichols St. to go on a 16-0 run in the last 6 minutes at home is unacceptable. Here are my Top 10 takeaways from the game:

1. Everyone in the entire program needs to stop reading the press ... we haven't proven anything yet!
2. Giorgi, what has happened to your touch inside of 10 feet?
3. Ayo is really not helping his draft stock on the offensive or defensive end.
4. BU needs to stop playing favorites (Kipper & DW) and play more talented options (AG)!
5. Kipper lovers need to recognize that the games he plays well in come as frequently as full moons and leap years.
6. Kofi is going to be really good and he already changes games!
7. Our turnovers are shocking given the experience on this team.
8. Dre is our best or at least most consistent player!
9. I would spend at least an hour each day of Wed and Thurs practices on free throws ... wow, we are awful!
10. While it was disappointing and tough to watch, we won a game that in the past few years we could have easily lost.

Now we go to a team in GCU that literally just lost to a D2 school by the name of Davenport 82-73. They were losing the entire game and to be honest, I watched the last 4 minutes and Davenport fell apart so it really wasn't that close. We need to refocus and step on GCU's throat from the tip ... and then not let up! I am still extremely optimistic about the talent and where the program is heading. Let's put together 2 strong games this weekend and it will be like this game never happened. Go Illini!
1573013875198.png

What speaks to me to be concerned moreso about than some of the stat lines was the body language and effort I was seeing out there tonight - even while up double digits. We did not carry ourselves like a team that has "unfinished business".

Missed waaaaay too many bunnies, free throws and tried to force it into the paint.

Everyone gets an F except Feliz, ayo, and Kofi. Trent - terrible. Kipper - good and terrible. Orange Krush - épouvantable.

LJ22

Chicago, IL
This game wouldn't have seemed like as big of a failure without the preseason hype and expectation. It's probably just as silly to read too much into this one game as it is to believe we are magically amazing.

But I'm worried, because I thought we'd be in the middle closer to magically amazing instead of in the middle closer to dumpster fire.

Last edited:

breadman

Herndon, VA
My major concern is who is going to step up and compile all those priceless color commentaries by the all star broadcasting team!!!!
I'm waiting....running...snipping my butt ...

Wow, after several deep breaths and a walk around the block, I think I'm better! Thank goodness we won but what an embarrassing effort! That goes for the coaches and players. To allow a team the level of Nichols St. to go on a 16-0 run in the last 6 minutes at home is unacceptable. Here are my Top 10 takeaways from the game:

1. Everyone in the entire program needs to stop reading the press ... we haven't proven anything yet!
4. BU needs to stop playing favorites (Kipper & DW) and play more talented options (AG)!
5. Kipper lovers need to recognize that the games he plays well in come as frequently as full moons and leap years.
9. I would spend at least an hour each day of Wed and Thurs practices on free throws ... wow, we are awful!
10. While it was disappointing and tough to watch, we won a game that in the past few years we could have easily lost.

Now we go to a team in GCU that literally just lost to a D2 school by the name of Davenport 82-73. They were losing the entire game and to be honest, I watched the last 4 minutes and Davenport fell apart so it really wasn't that close. We need to refocus and step on GCU's throat from the tip ... and then not let up! I am still extremely optimistic about the talent and where the program is heading. Let's put together 2 strong games this weekend and it will be like this game never happened. Go Illini!View attachment 5055
Great post! We will struggle at times, but BU needs to realize who the top 7-8 players are and how much tick they should get

I put this one on the players. They took their foot off the gas. This team needs to hit their free throws or our ceiling dips significantly IMO. On the positive side, I’m optimistic this will be a wake up call. Take the W, learn from this, and flush this game down the toilet.

If your “wake up call” game is the first one of the season, I think you’re talking about a long season. I didn’t see the game, but the result definitely leads me to lower my expectations for the season. Over the last few weeks I’ve been surprised at the assertions that the team has depth, and this game seems to show I wasn’t wrong to be wary — especially with Tevian being suspended. And I’m not convinced we’ll ever see the Tevian we’ve all thought we would.

Also, I saw at least one comments of “this is a game a Groce team would have lost.” Can we stop with that? I wasn’t a fan of Groce and felt he had to go, but he hasn’t coached here for going on 3 seasons. And while we might have been happy to see Groce go and find BU’s style more enjoyable to watch, the fact of the matter is BU teams have yet to win more games than Groce’s worst season. So if that was a game that a Groce team would have lost what are BU team losses that Groce would have won.

All that said a win is better than a loss. And probably won’t be many more games like that for Frazier. Hopefully the team realizes they will be 1-2 if they keep playing that way and make sure that doesn’t happen.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky

Now we go to a team in GCU that literally just lost to a D2 school by the name of Davenport 82-73. They were losing the entire game and to be honest, I watched the last 4 minutes and Davenport fell apart so it really wasn't that close. We need to refocus and step on GCU's throat from the tip ... and then not let up! I am still extremely optimistic about the talent and where the program is heading. Let's put together 2 strong games this weekend and it will be like this game never happened. Go Illini!View attachment 5055

If BU doesn't understand by now that KN and DW are liabilities when on the court then he never will....AG has a nose for the ball and I'll take his scoring and rebounding with his mistakes over upperclassmen who are timid and not sticking their nose in to get the offensive rebounds that AG does...
If KN and DW keep getting minutes over AG and Tev(when he returns) then kiss the dance bye bye...It is what it is and wishing KN or DW will ever do any better than they have so far is a pipe dream...It's not like this was their first game ..we have seen this before and I doubt they will improve as much as AG with comparable minutes...JMHO

the national

the Front Range
I’m not going to judge too much from this one game. Underwood was hoping to test some things out before the trip out west. We need to focus more on ball control and have a more athletic lineup out there. 1 big at a time worked well. And Frazier won’t always shot like that. Would have liked someone else to to step up besides Dre. But hey, I’ll take the win.

Missed waaaaay too many bunnies, free throws and tried to force it into the paint.

Everyone gets an F except Feliz, ayo, and Kofi. Trent - terrible. Kipper - good and terrible. Orange Krush - épouvantable.
There are some things you can control, an off shooting night you can’t. However, hustle and effort, you can. With multiple defensive charges drawn, and the big defensive turnover forced at the end of regulation, I think Trent Frazier gets better than ‘terrible’ grade.