Illinois 78, Nicholls State 70 OT POSTGAME

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL
We'll see. I watched the game from 6:00 again, and there was a combination of us letting off the gas, and Nichols making plays. We had some good looks offensively, but were crap on defense. One of the buckets we gave up had only 1 player back (Feliz, no surprise) and everyone else slogging down the court. One player in particular hurt us with awful close-outs, weak D, missed layups, and a lazy foul after a miss (GB). While we looked terrible on screen at the time, when I broke it down, it was fluke-ish. Still, it was pretty obvious we were in trouble with 4 minutes to go and yet no response. With about 2 minutes to go, it was tied. So it's not like it was a miracle comeback --they closed it down pretty methodically with plenty of time left to take the lead. I think the lack of response was what concerns me. Give em credit, they played well in OT. I could write the finish of regulation off to a combination of physical and mental fatigue.

Makes me appreciate Feliz more. He and Trent were the only guys who looked like they were still trying to close out the game.

Anyone concerned about Ayo? 21 points on 11 attempts is quite impressive, as are 7 boards. Still, some of his drives were into heavy traffic, and his A/T opened against Nichols with a staggeringly bad 0.4.
I was only concerned with the 5 turnovers. Not sure why fans are being so negative toward him about this game.
Again, this was just the first game. I am not convinced he will turn the ball over 5 times a game.
WRT his assists, he dished out the ball. If his teammates made their open shots/caught his good passes, he would have had more.

We'll see. I watched the game from 6:00 again, and there was a combination of us letting off the gas, and Nichols making plays. We had some good looks offensively, but were crap on defense. One of the buckets we gave up had only 1 player back (Feliz, no surprise) and everyone else slogging down the court. One player in particular hurt us with awful close-outs, weak D, missed layups, and a lazy foul after a miss (GB). While we looked terrible on screen at the time, when I broke it down, it was fluke-ish. Still, it was pretty obvious we were in trouble with 4 minutes to go and yet no response. With about 2 minutes to go, it was tied. So it's not like it was a miracle comeback --they closed it down pretty methodically with plenty of time left to take the lead. I think the lack of response was what concerns me. Give em credit, they played well in OT. I could write the finish of regulation off to a combination of physical and mental fatigue.

Makes me appreciate Feliz more. He and Trent were the only guys who looked like they were still trying to close out the game.

Anyone concerned about Ayo? 21 points on 11 attempts is quite impressive, as are 7 boards. Still, some of his drives were into heavy traffic, and his A/T opened against Nichols with a staggeringly bad 0.4.

Nope.

Deleted member 51

D
There is a video or at least a story I read a couple weeks ago where Ayo said this year, their defense doesn't have to be as strong or in your face as last year. I paused after reading that but it sounds like that may be the case from comments I read about the games.

There is a video or at least a story I read a couple weeks ago where Ayo said this year, their defense doesn't have to be as strong or in your face as last year. I paused after reading that but it sounds like that may be the case from comments I read about the games.
Why? Because of Kofi and Giorgi rim protection? Don’t understand “doesn’t have to be as strong” when it was horrible last year. .??

Ayo, played a good game except for the turnovers. The objection that he didn't get his teammates involved enough is ridiculous. I will take i think 23 points and 2 assists all year long. To get assists guys have to catch it and make it (kofi) for one. Also, i was at the game and i could tell by body language that nobody wanted the ball toward end of game or OT beside Ayo and Feliz

So I wasn't the only one that was noticing GB's performance in the final 6 minutes. That foul and also some of his offensive attempts did not seem to be at the level I was expecting from him or this team.

Why? Because of Kofi and Giorgi rim protection? Don’t understand “doesn’t have to be as strong” when it was horrible last year. .??

What Ayo actually said is they wouldn't play as far UP the line. when defending the pass you draw an imaginary line from the ball handler to the guy you're guarding. Illinois likes to play ON the line, while a lot of defense will play OFF the line (towards the hoop). Playing ON the line is more aggressive but even so a lot of schools do this, not just Illinois. What makes Underwoods defense unique is that he also has his guys play UP the line (towards the ball) while most people play much closer to the guy they are guarding. This makes it easier to deny the pass and puts more pressure on the ball handler but it also allows the guarded player to make a cut and beat the defender to the hoop - so if there's not decent rim protection waiting for him when he gets there it could result in an easy bucket (which is what happened to Illinois all of last season).

Re Ayo, not just no, he!! no. 21 points is beautiful. Some TOs were the fault of the guy that couldn't catch the pass.

drsmitty74

Rochester
But do you now wish you could unsee?
No. I am hoping to be able to look back at that first game and call it like it was...........a first game of the season.

I am a life long Bears, Cubs and Illini fan. I've watched my fair share of bad games, series' and seasons. I'm a fan. I will watch through thick and thin.

Step off the ledge my friends. We smoked them in the first half and 8 minutes of the second half. Then, it appeared that we just kind of went into prevent defense.

We still got the win. This will be a teachable moment and we will grow from this. I’m still calling for 25 wins. Trent 0-9 won’t happen often. But, the 2nd half, no one (except Feliz) looked good. We will learn.

Is it possible that during the exhibition and the first game of the season that coach wanted to work on a different defense scheme from last year to throw future scouting reports off? The guys are comfortable with the pressure defense but with new tools in the tool box, coach had to give the guys real game experience in the halfcourt defensive sets. I think this is a real possibility....

Is it possible that during the exhibition and the first game of the season that coach wanted to work on a different defense scheme from last year to throw future scouting reports off? The guys are comfortable with the pressure defense but with new tools in the tool box, coach had to give the guys real game experience in the halfcourt defensive sets. I think this is a real possibility....
How long will he do this to throw off which scouting reports?.

Short answer. This is not a real possibility.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
These guys have to mesh. Kofi brings a whole new dynamic to our offense...and defense. There's going to be some bumps in the road.

The Dallas Stars had similar high expectations for this season with some new roster additions. They began the season 1-7-1. They've won 7 of their last 8.
BU's system has been proven, and I believe it will be again. We have the talent.

if you can't guard the post effectively, a good strategy is to amp up the ball pressure to try to prevent a team from being able to play a post up game. Because this year's team may be able to guard the post more effectively , they maybe able to ratchet down the ball pressure.. I didn't see the story but that is how I'd interpret it.

What Ayo actually said is they wouldn't play as far UP the line. when defending the pass you draw an imaginary line from the ball handler to the guy you're guarding. Illinois likes to play ON the line, while a lot of defense will play OFF the line (towards the hoop). Playing ON the line is more aggressive but even so a lot of schools do this, not just Illinois. What makes Underwoods defense unique is that he also has his guys play UP the line (towards the ball) while most people play much closer to the guy they are guarding.

Interesting. I thought we were trying to play off the line with the hedge. Playing up seems super aggressive.

These guys have to mesh. Kofi brings a whole new dynamic to our offense...and defense. There's going to be some bumps in the road.

The Dallas Stars had similar high expectations for this season with some new roster additions. They began the season 1-7-1. They've won 7 of their last 8.
BU's system has been proven, and I believe it will be again. We have the talent.
I can't handle a 1-7 start this season regardless of what follows.

I hope we can look back on this like Minnesota does on barely beating an FCS team at home in week 1. No one is talking about that anymore