Illinois 79, Purdue 62 POSTGAME

Deleted member 29907

D
Classy move here by AG, and a lot of really really classy replies by both Purdue and Illini fans.
Emphasis on the PU fans - very classy of them in response. BU's response during the game was on target (albeit an easy one) - to summarize "Alan - hit the locker room - no arguing ejection from me on what you did"

Watched replay of the game last night on BTN's Basketball in 60. I'm just not sure why people hate Dakich so much. He can be a bit much at times, but he often gives some good insight and was pretty effusive with his praise of the Illini and many of its players during the broadcast. I'm guessing some of the hate comes from the fact that he is pretty honest and if a team is playing poorly he says it -- and the Illini had a long stretch in the past few years when they played poorly.
Most sports fans don't like announcers sharing their opinions unless the announcer is a homer for their team. Dakich has opinions for sure. I usually enjoy his insight, and I don't really mind him giving those opinions, even if I disagree (for example, I really doubt Kofi is a lottery pick this year, but who knows). I thought it was pretty funny that he owned up Tuesday night to his instantly incorrect bad call on Ayo last year in the MSU game ("this won't end well for Illinois"). Some people take this stuff really seriously. Frankly, I think it's even worse in the NBA and MLB where most games ARE announced by a team broadcast crew, so when there is a national game and the announcers aren't slobbering all over the team, people go nuts.

sacraig

The desert
Yes. I fully agree that they are still immature and still learning and developing at age 18. This isn't some magical number, but they should be taught how to make decisions and live with consequences. Too many people give young people a pass because they are young. Hold them accountable and teach them; it will be much better for the whole world.

I don't think many people are giving him a pass. I think what most people are saying is that he's still young, so let's make this a teaching moment instead of throwing the book at the kid.

I don't think many people are giving him a pass. I think what most people are saying is that he's still young, so let's make this a teaching moment instead of throwing the book at the kid.

I don't get why people are out for blood. It was a stupid thing to do, but I think he's a good kid. I've seen a whole heck of a lot worse. I know using Grayson Allen as an example is setting the bar really low, but for all his antics, he never received an ACC suspension. I don't see Griffin receiving a B1G suspension. There could be internal discipline. He'll learn from this and grow.

Watched replay of the game last night on BTN's Basketball in 60. I'm just not sure why people hate Dakich so much. He can be a bit much at times, but he often gives some good insight and was pretty effusive with his praise of the Illini and many of its players during the broadcast. I'm guessing some of the hate comes from the fact that he is pretty honest and if a team is playing poorly he says it -- and the Illini had a long stretch in the past few years when they played poorly.

You'll get plenty of hits if you google "hate" and "Dakich." He goes out of his way to be abrasive. He takes pride in it. Put him in a studio. There are lots of sports shows where people argue two sides obnoxiously (can't remember the show with Stephen A. Smith and someone else). I just think there are better people to put on air that make the games enjoyable for fans of both teams.

Here's a video intersection of two concurrent discussions.. We have Dan Dakich giving some opinions on Grayson Allen in a summer league game wherein Allen commits back to back flagrant cheapshots and is tossed. Sometimes i approve of Dakich's opinions, and for this game and i can't think of anyone better to call this.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ge-basketball-moves-kansas-kansas-state-brawl

Noting this because it has thoughts in it that relate well to our discussion.

"Fourth, let's stop calling the players "kids." They are not kids, they are adults. They are men. Calling them "kids" infantilizes them. After all, the NCAA calls this Men's Basketball and not Boys' Basketball or Kids' Basketball. These are young men."

"These are young men who made errors in judgment in a heated situation. They were wrong. But they should not be thrown out with yesterday's trash. De Sousa is a young man who made a mistake, not a punching bag for those upset with Kansas or the NCAA. He needs proper support, as do McCormack, Antonio Gordon and Love."

I agree with both of these sentiments as it relates to Griffin.

Classy move here by AG, and a lot of really really classy replies by both Purdue and Illini fans.
Very impressed by Purdue Coach and fans. They know hoops and have been super reasonable about Griffen's stupid actions here. Well done by Griffen getting out in front of this. I am certain the worst thing here for him was talking to his dad......ouch, that had to hurt.

Deleted member 29907

D
Here's a video intersection of two concurrent discussions.. We have Dan Dakich giving some opinions on Grayson Allen in a summer league game wherein Allen commits back to back flagrant cheapshots and is tossed. Sometimes i approve of Dakich's opinions, and for this game and i can't think of anyone better to call this.
K was an idiot the way he defended and enabled Allen. He was truly a punk because he did it time and time again and always from down low or behind. Class act clown. Sounded like K was whining the other night about how tough L'Ville played them - I think Dakich mentioned that at some point. K and Allen deserve each other.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ge-basketball-moves-kansas-kansas-state-brawl

"Fourth, let's stop calling the players "kids." They are not kids, they are adults. They are men. Calling them "kids" infantilizes them. After all, the NCAA calls this Men's Basketball and not Boys' Basketball or Kids' Basketball. These are young men."

"These are young men who made errors in judgment in a heated situation. They were wrong. But they should not be thrown out with yesterday's trash. De Sousa is a young man who made a mistake, not a punching bag for those upset with Kansas or the NCAA. He needs proper support, as do McCormack, Antonio Gordon and Love."

High schools also say men's and women's for their teams. Am I holding my 14 year old students to adult standards now?

I see your point and I'm being purposefully hyperbolic. However, 18 may be an adult on paper but the behavior of most people in their late teens don't demonstrate that kind of maturity.

I agree with you that we need to build young people up to be more mature more quickly; however, there's a balance to it. There needs to be a certain amount of grace built into holding a young person accountable so they get the full benefits of the lesson.

High schools also say men's and women's for their teams. Am I holding my 14 year old students to adult standards now?

I see your point and I'm being purposefully hyperbolic. However, 18 may be an adult on paper but the behavior of most people in their late teens don't demonstrate that kind of maturity.

I agree with you that we need to build young people up to be more mature more quickly; however, there's a balance to it. There needs to be a certain amount of grace built into holding a young person accountable so they get the full benefits of the lesson.

High Schools say men's and women's? I understand you were using hyperbole, but I'm not familiar with this. In my area (Peoria/Bloomington) it's certainly called boys and girls sports.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
You'll get plenty of hits if you google "hate" and "Dakich." He goes out of his way to be abrasive. He takes pride in it. Put him in a studio. There are lots of sports shows where people argue two sides obnoxiously (can't remember the show with Stephen A. Smith and someone else). I just think there are better people to put on air that make the games enjoyable for fans of both teams.
Dakich is still a Top 3 college basketball announcer in my book. Love his insights. Thorough understanding of the game...........and once guarded Michael Jordan. He's Big 10 material inside and out. He can go old school (Henson/Keady/Knight), and his son played at Michigan so he has connections with the current Big 10 programs. Entertaining. Knowledgeable. Well-spoken. And he loves the Illini --- plus he knew us best in 1980's when we were the #1 program in the Big 10.

It seems that you might be inverting what is actually happening in society in theory.

The concept of "adolescence" is a new concept in the last 80 years or so. That is essentially young people getting to do adult things without being adult responsibilities. This is more what happens now than what you describe.

For the record. I'll teach my kids to abstain from drugs and alcohol for their entire lives. There is nothing that good that comes from either in my opinion. When I say "adult" I'm thinking more like they can look people in the eye and talk to them, be held responsible for their actions, manage their own finances, etc.
Isn't being given a technical and being kicked out of the game being held responsible?

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
High Schools say men's and women's? I understand you were using hyperbole, but I'm not familiar with this. In my area (Peoria/Bloomington) it's certainly called boys and girls sports.

In Chicago, it's most commonly called men's basketball, women's swimming, etc. Might be because the teams have a handful of 18+ kids on them, but that's what we do. The hyperbole was actually thinking any of them are adults 🤷

They are decidedly not adults. They don't have all of the rights and privileges that an adult has. Call them young men, that's fine, but they are not adults until they are 21.

Dakich is still a Top 3 college basketball announcer in my book. Love his insights. Thorough understanding of the game...........and once guarded Michael Jordan. He's Big 10 material inside and out. He can go old school (Henson/Keady/Knight), and his son played at Michigan so he has connections with the current Big 10 programs. Entertaining. Knowledgeable. Well-spoken. And he loves the Illini --- plus he knew us best in 1980's when we were the #1 program in the Big 10.

- Guarded Michael Jordan...apparently Jordan had an off game. NBA couldn't stop Jordan, don't think Dakich was anything special.
- Old school with Henson/Keady/Knight...he was an assistant at Indiana for 10 years and a head coach at powerhouse Bowling Green State. Sure he served a handful of games as an interim coach, but I wouldn't mention him in the same breath as Henson, Keady, and, hate to say, Knight.
- I can't count how many times on air he's mentioned his son playing for Michigan.
- He's a moron and almost universally hated. He doesn't love the Illini. In fact, earlier in the year, he barely mentioned the Illini during one of their games. He's on the bandwagon, now.

- Guarded Michael Jordan...apparently Jordan had an off game. NBA couldn't stop Jordan, don't think Dakich was anything special.
- Old school with Henson/Keady/Knight...he was an assistant at Indiana for 10 years and a head coach at powerhouse Bowling Green State. Sure he served a handful of games as an interim coach, but I wouldn't mention him in the same breath as Henson, Keady, and, hate to say, Knight.
- I can't count how many times on air he's mentioned his son playing for Michigan.
- He's a moron and almost universally hated. He doesn't love the Illini. In fact, earlier in the year, he barely mentioned the Illini during one of their games. He's on the bandwagon, now.
Be careful now my alma mater.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
Lavin and Raftery just said the same thing tonight as Dakich has in the recent past, and I'm paraphrasing here......................."Illinois is the team that can challenge Michigan State for the Big 10 title. And it's nice to see Illinois prominent once again after some down years. Brad Underwood has the needle pointing straight up for the Illini."

Love the old school guys!! 1st place Illini!!!!!!! ILL