Illinois 79, Purdue 62 POSTGAME

Wow....just wow. Been waiting for an Illini team to play like that for 15 years....since the Illini-Wake Forest game of '05. Other than 14 turnovers, they pretty much played as well as they are capable. Like everyone said going in, beating Purdue in Lafayette is very, very difficult...and winning by 17 is unimaginable. Props to this team for setting a new standard...one they must strive toward every night. 18-2 is not going to happen but trying to win the B1G with that in the forefront every night is possible. We will wait and expect a cold night in Piscataway or Evanston, but they can overcome...maybe... with defense and tenacious rebounding. All cylinders were firing away tonight. The efficiency curve was moved way to the right and the left end is hopefully in the rear-view mirror so far it can't be seen or remembered (Miami/Mizzou). The only blunder was the momentum killing dunce play by Griffin...but he will learn from that and hopefully not let it affect him for too long. Finally, Illini fans get rewarded for years of frustration and poor play on the hardwood. The future is bright and maybe attractive enough to attract the state's best players to join the fun that the international kids are building.

Check my post history. I've been calling this team a Final Four potential team for close to two months since the Maryland/Michigan games and have been laughed at. Do I have anyone jumping on the bandwagon with me yet? Remember, you just have to win four games and not necessarily against 1 seeds depending on how the bracket falls.

In March you only need guards that can get hot and good D. Check and Check. Add in Kofi and Giorgi for out rebounding teams by a wide margin and we have a winning recipe.
Still only 8 games in and in the midst of a looooong stretch of very tough games. Winning today helps a LOT, but a lot of teams coming up with some serious credentials.

I now believe we have the temperament to win on the road.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Boy watching Purdue's offense brought back nightmares of Weber’s horrid offense. So glad we have BU’s offense. So much more fun to watch.

I missed the game, finally saw the tape of the Griffin incident. I don't think he was actually trying to hurt the guy all that badly -- he didn't really put any weight on his foot. Still an incredibly stupid play though. In my opinion he needs to sit for 3-4 games.

illini80

Forgottonia
Boy watching Purdue's offense brought back nightmares of Weber’s horrid offense. So glad we have BU’s offense. So much more fun to watch.
That might be a minority opinion. Although when you shoot like we did tonight, it doesn’t matter what offense you run. And when you can‘t buy a bucket, it doesn’t look good no matter what you run either.

THAT was impressive. I don’t think we can play much better than tonight. Amazing where this team was and where it is tonight. They beat the hell out of us and we didn’t get rattled, didn’t get frustrated, just crammed it right down their throat.

Illini basketball is fun again!!!!
Can we have a Mizzou redo?

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
WHO'S NEXT!!!?????

1o6sas.gif

kenpom ... from 36 to 35; PU from 17 to 18 !? or was I slow and we were lower than 36 pre-game

illini80

Forgottonia
I missed the game, finally saw the tape of the Griffin incident. I don't think he was actually trying to hurt the guy all that badly -- he didn't really put any weight on his foot. Still an incredibly stupid play though. In my opinion he needs to sit for 3-4 games.
It will be interesting to see what happens here. The problem is he now has a history of dirty play. I would expect officials to make it a point of emphasis with him and anything aggressive may get called even if it wasn’t really egregious. If they do, I can’t say he doesn’t deserve it. I don’t like dirty play period. He needs to clean that up here and now. No excuses.

Ayo 18 pts. 11 assists! OMG. I was so pissed at him and his demeanor early. Not Now! These games and performances put you in top 15 of Draft. I'm so impressed with him now. And by the way I absolutely Love his Family traveling to these game. I say we get a GoFund me account for them Their dedication is so beautiful.

Was so frustrated in the first half with this game because of Griffin. So glad he got ejected. Pathetic decision on his part, just admit you intentionally stepped on him and apologize. He has been involved in multiple bad actions like this.

So pumped about the second half of this game! What a dominant performance by the Illini! We are really stepping up and it is fun to watch!
Geez, we get it. He did something stupid, yes! We don't need to kick him while he's down, he's doing that himself I'm sure! Smh......

No one lucky here except Alan Griffin, who won't be the featured bad guy of the night.
I don't know. With the Kansas thing I think there are going to be some examples made. I'm afraid Griffin gets lumped in with Kansas. I'm afraid he chose a very bad night for a very stupid thing. It's one thing to play aggressively and it's another thing altogether to make a complete !!! of ones self. Griff should be embarassed, he should own it, and he should apologize. He should be thinking about a lot of other aspects of his game instead of figuring out what his next cheap shot will look like.

I need to ask this because it frustrates me. How does Lunardi have Rutgers as a 3 seed, Palm has them as a 4 seed.....and we're 9 and 11 respectively?

I'm assuming ANOTHER road win will change things a bit?

Posted this in pre-game thread - posting again:

My opinion is that Rutgers is way overachieving, and we might be also, but everyone knew we had this potential. With that, when they beat some decent teams and have a good record, everyone reacts a little different to it. If we played the same schedule as each other and had all the same wins and losses, they would look more impressive, because it is more unexpected.

It is like when we played them and the announcers wouldn't stop talking about their defense and how they are playing for 2nd place! Our D is better and more impressive and we were also playing for 2nd place!

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is how I see it.