Illinois 81, Northwestern 76 POSTGAME

So what is the mood around Northwestern’s program? Collins creates a big buzz when he gets hired, they progressively get better, make the NCAA’s, in the process of getting shiny brand new facilities, and you start think something scary might be happening in Evanston. Then last year is a disaster and this year is just as bad or worse.

Their 2 best players are leaving (Law and Pardon). Should Collins be jumping at the best coaching offer he is given?

sacraig

The desert
Gotta win this one, as a win at PSU is looking harder by the day. Getting a win over an actual rival would be fun. :p (Just kiddin’, Kitties, don’t get mad!)

Illinois 88
Indiana 82

I am not kidding when I say the same thing you just did. Northwestern was never a rival in my book. They were never really a threat to us for decades, so why would I have considered them a rival? Really, the fact that we can no longer say that is just an indicator of the hard times into which we've fallen.

Deleted member 4960

D
Kipper had a decent game. I sure wish he and GB could hit some outside shots. We would really be dangerous.

No doubt, Black would have made a big difference in this team. Illini could very well be vying for a tournament bid. It is what it is. If BU can keep this team in tact and add Kofi and a couple of other good recruits in positions of need , no doubt this team makes the tournament next season.

LJ22

Chicago, IL
Free.Throws.

Free.Throws.

Never thought I'd like to hear an announcer say, "and finally a miss!" But I am so very happy. Free throws.

I liked to see that the coaches adjusted the game plan on offense and defense for this game. Shows the team is past learning the basics and can start having adjustments for each game.

Feliz 16-17 from the FT line. That is phenomenal, and the rest of the team should take notice.

What a magnificent performance by Feliz. I am super, super happy for him and for the team for working hard and getting a W to show for it.

Nice call on the zone late.

Yup. There was a lot of criticism against BU earlier this year regarding a lack of in-game adjustments, and as it stands now, that’s not the case. Underwood is a ++ X’s and O’s coach who can’t yet deploy all the wrinkles with our current personnel. BU gets pretty crafty in the final 3-5ish minutes of games, but he can’t close them on his own. We can throw some pretty affective box and ones and other curveballs right now, which is promising with all the youth.

Yup. There was a lot of criticism against BU earlier this year regarding a lack of in-game adjustments, and as it stands now, that’s not the case. Underwood is a ++ X’s and O’s coach who can’t yet deploy all the wrinkles with our current personnel. BU gets pretty crafty in the final 3-5ish minutes of games, but he can’t close them on his own. We can throw some pretty affective box and ones and other curveballs right now, which is promising with all the youth.

I’d have to still argue against that. We routinely play decent first halves and then get out-maneuvered/adjusted at the half.

The last two games BU himself said, “well I really liked how we played in the first half”.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
Announced attendance was 13,924. Crowd and Krush seemed to have awfully low energy.

Having been there, there's no way that's how many people were in the stands.

Despite being in the lead 99% of the time, there didn't feel like there was a lot to cheer. Defense looked good in the first half, slipped in the second. Offense was always kind of spotty, and it felt like we were all holding our collective breath waiting for Northwestern to make a run and take the lead to end the game.

I’d have to still argue against that. We routinely play decent first halves and then get out-maneuvered/adjusted at the half.

The last two games BU himself said, “well I really liked how we played in the first half”.

I’m with you that there have been a number of lackluster 2nd halves. No denying that. It’s assumed that any team facing our pressure is going to respond with adjustments; that’s part of the equation. It isn’t BU who is failing to counter. It’s youngins who don’t always execute and who also don’t have the experience to adjust themselves.

Despite being in the lead 99% of the time, there didn't feel like there was a lot to cheer. Defense looked good in the first half, slipped in the second. Offense was always kind of spotty, and it felt like we were all holding our collective breath waiting for Northwestern to make a run and take the lead to end the game.

Last year they probably would've. Slow progress is progress. It's still disappointing how much energy the Krush doesn't have this year, they seem bored most of the game. That lady in the first row that wears a hat every home game is more hype than the Krush ever is, let her lead them.

I guess I'd have to say I'm happy to be at a place where 81 points in-league can result from a spotty offensive performance.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
1. Each game in the Big Ten is such a grind. 2. Feliz has been tremendous this season, much more than I thought we were getting.