Illinois 83, Grand Canyon 71 POSTGAME

-Guard defense NEEDS to get better, or we won’t make 20 wins. Guys blow right past them, or they move the ball around until a guy gets open for a three.
-Turnovers need to be cut in half. I can’t believe a 3 guard lineup turns the ball over so much.
-Offense needs more flow and continuity.Too many times the offense starts and ends with one player while the other 4 stand around. GCU moved the ball around way better, and had defenders chasing the ball around creating open looks.
-Without Kofi we flat out would have lost. Glad to have a true big man.
On a side note, i feel bad for Monte. His offensive abilities are just so lacking. That shot that came up short, followed by the drive where he lost the ball hurt.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
I know he’s looked like garbage in the two real games, but I still think BBV will be the 8th man by January. Once the game slows down for him, he will be fantastic. I’m hoping it’s this year.
Yeah, I agree. I love his energy. Looking forward to seeing him channel it at both ends of the floor.

Deleted member 652751

D
I’ve

watched for over 40 yrs also. When has this team gone on the road and played a game this early? Don’t remember it. Also I saw a lot of good teams have trouble putting people away. It’s still early and we just played a true road game! And won by 12!
Agree mostly. I'm just saying it's clear that we are not quite to the level of top half Big10 teams. That's where it will be determined if we get to the tournament or not, and looking sloppy against three straight lower level teams is definitely cause for concern. Again, nobody wants IL to be successful more than me I will guarantee you that. Just disappointed in what I'm seeing after hearing BU talk us up all summer. He needs to earn his salary and get the team where it needs to be.

I was impresses by the pick and roll of Feliz and Kofi down the stretch. Historically, late in games, it seems like we work down the shot clock and take a bad jumper. With the Feliz/Kofi pick and roll... it seemed like we used effectively, anytime that we needed a bucket.

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL
I live in AZ and have been to many GCU games. It is a loud atmosphere, (like it used to be 15 years ago on our home court), but GCU is not a good team especially with 2 players suspended. I am disappointed at our guard play with the exception of Dre. Not expecting a win at U of A based upon our lack of guard defense on the perimeter.
Ayo has 9 pts, 6 assts with 2 to’s. What is disappointing about that?

I think nobody is saying that they aren’t happy with the win. But what they are saying is that there are concerns going forward from the first two games. Concerns that lead some to believe that the 2-0 start is a byproduct of weak teams, not the Illini being good.

It’s a never a bad idea to try to extrapolate what a team will do against better competition if they continue to play the same.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I’m worried. I feel like this team is not what we were expecting.

Kofi is amazing and I’m sooooo impressed by Dre. Ayo is still good and I really want Griffin to blow up. Hopefully Giorgi settles in.

The biggest question mark right now is Trent. Please break out of this slump on a Sunday Trent.

We are 2-0, and that’s great, but something just doesn’t feel right. Why are bad teams hanging with us? Why are games close when we are crushing it on the boards?

I can’t place it, but something’s definitely off.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
-Guard defense NEEDS to get better, or we won’t make 20 wins. Guys blow right past them, or they move the ball around until a guy gets open for a three.
-Turnovers need to be cut in half. I can’t believe a 3 guard lineup turns the ball over so much.
-Offense needs more flow and continuity.Too many times the offense starts and ends with one player while the other 4 stand around. GCU moved the ball around way better, and had defenders chasing the ball around creating open looks.
-Without Kofi we flat out would have lost. Glad to have a true big man.
On a side note, i feel bad for Monte. His offensive abilities are just so lacking. That shot that came up short, followed by the drive where he lost the ball hurt.
Honestly, I love Kofi, however, I think his production may be at the detriment to others (mainly Giorgi), I expect them to figure this out, and it will be a net positive for the team and Illini nation. JMHO

Deleted member 649710

D
Huh? Ayo has basically been a superhero except the last two games, so I'm not seeing what you're seeing.
Rare was the game last year where Ayo and Trent both had a strong game. Usually was one or the other.

It’s good to see Griffin gaining confidence. It seemed Trent made a point of not forcing shots tonight. I hope Jones comes back soon. Tonight showed how thin the Illini are. They were gassed most of the second half.

I think nobody is saying that they aren’t happy with the win. But what they are saying is that there are concerns going forward from the first two games. Concerns that lead some to believe that the 2-0 start is a byproduct of weak teams, not the Illini being good.

It’s a never a bad idea to try to extrapolate what a team will do against better competition if they continue to play the same.
Only thing is that's not how it works. GCU was obviously going to come out crisper against us after such a terrible loss and we weathered the storm. Kansas had 28 turnovers and lost to Duke by two in New York but then only beat UNC-Greensboro by 8 at home. College basketball is a fickle lady. Hard to say how we'll come out vs Zona but hope we value the basketball a little better at the least.

What in the hell is wrong with so many on this board? So many effing coaches grace this board with their presence. Start a grumble thread and maybe let the rest of us fans enjoy an early season Illini road win.
I believed that going into this season.....nobody truly knows what we have. The national experts don't know what we have. Katz has us in his top 20, Bilas just under 70. After the first two games...hard to argue with Bilas. That said....it's only been two games. The fans that were/are predicting 22-24 wins and a #5 seed in the NCAA, envisioned two 25 point wins. So, while I agree, people have to enjoy winning...there is also a rationale cause for concern.

We take a HUGE step up in weight class on Sunday. Let's see what happens.

LeinieGuy

Will work for bourbon
Lexington, KY
What in the hell is wrong with so many on this board? So many effing coaches grace this board with their presence. Start a grumble thread and maybe let the rest of us fans enjoy an early season Illini road win.
Fair gripe (ironically - haha). It's just that so many of us have paid attention to the WAY Illinois' tournament teams have played these games vs what's been going on the past 5 years. Yeah, we're happy we won of course, but it's tough to see how this brand of play will beat the big boys.

But, in all goodwill and spirit: I-L-L......

Deleted member 649710

D
So you don't think Ayo played well last year?
Last year Ayo was very good at times and very freshman at others. Likewise, Trent was sometimes very good and sometimes not. Very rarely were both good in the same game. That’s what I’m saying. They still don’t seem to play well together. That’s a problem.