Illinois 83, Illinois Wesleyan 67 (Exhibition) POSTGAME

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I kept in my mind last night before the game that we would see a different Illini scheme without Leron B. down low ...we were guard heavy last nite but that will be our strength all season long....As far as the mins distribution i agree with the poster who said BU was rewarding the end of bench players, walkons, etc in an exhibition game...I'm sure practices leading up to the Evansville game will be full of game planning as far as who gets the proper mins and defense will be a priority as we looked sloppy in the half court D...I know we got a lot of steals but we left too many shooters open from the 3 pt line and it will really bite us as the competition gets better...

But I thoroughly enjoyed the game and see a lot of positives to take forward...

A positive I haven't seen mentioned is our 14 fouls vs 25 for the opponents. That reversal from last year would have made a significant difference in wins. One game doesn't a season make but it is a positive indicator in a game where we were pressing.

Last year opponents made 108 more FTs than we did. In this game we were plus 17 for the game. One game certainly doesn't make a season but a very positive indicator.

So, I agree that there is some concern in areas already talked about (rebounding, interior scoring, big men) in this thread, but there were two other areas that concerned me and I'd love to hear people's thoughts...

1) How many open 3's IW got with a skip-pass to the back side. Seemed like we were over-committing to D on the ball side.

2) That full-court press we threw on occasionally was completely ineffective.

I realize this was exhibition and we played weird lineups and "tried things out". I imagine the press was just a mix-it-up type thing. But the wide open 3's that a DIII program got on us (and knocked down) was pretty concerning to me.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nellie here, just wondering what kind of adjustment we will make to clean this stuff up. Maybe we'll see a completely different game on Thursday and have less to worry about.

So, I agree that there is some concern in areas already talked about (rebounding, interior scoring, big men) in this thread, but there were two other areas that concerned me and I'd love to hear people's thoughts...

1) How many open 3's IW got with a skip-pass to the back side. Seemed like we were over-committing to D on the ball side.

2) That full-court press we threw on occasionally was completely ineffective.

I realize this was exhibition and we played weird lineups and "tried things out". I imagine the press was just a mix-it-up type thing. But the wide open 3's that a DIII program got on us (and knocked down) was pretty concerning to me.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nellie here, just wondering what kind of adjustment we will make to clean this stuff up. Maybe we'll see a completely different game on Thursday and have less to worry about.
The way BU was pulling players it seemed like a true tuneup. Not saying we shouldn't try and extrapolate some things, but it will look different on Thursday.

Theres obviously a few things we can take away, but nothing too mind blowing. Agree the 3pt defense looked terrible, this is as you point out very concerning, regardless of who we played. We have almost zero post game. Those were painfully obvious the entire game. Rebounding was still concerning.

Giorgi, Feliz, and Griffin stock up, Kane and Jones looked raw, and Trent is still Trent. Kipper was 4 bounces away from having a great game, I still label it good (he took shots when he should've and made great plays, sometimes the balls just bigger than the hoop for guys) and Ayo showed plenty of flashes to erase most of the errors he made. AJ and DMW billed as advertised. Walkons showed why they didn't get a D1 scholarship (though Tyler did have a couple nice passes).

Deleted member 46511

D
Thanks for the notes, I don't get the +, so this was great.
Any Trent comments? I know he was really good, just odd that you left him out.

Oh man! I didn't mean to leave him out!

Maybe I left him out, subconsciously, because he was exactly as he was expected to be.

He hit shots (3 straight 3's) in the first half. 1 was in the flow of the offense, 1 was borderline, and the other was Trent's dribble, step back, drill from deep enough that you aren't really covering the shot. I love that he has that shot, but that was the offense's "bailout" shot last year, and I think its existence prevented us from HAVING to get better. For that reason, I don't love it... and I do think you'll see it more than you want.

Defense was good. Finishing high on the glass a few times, was nice...

He is who you want him to be.

(Played quite a bit... very similar time to Ayo and Feliz)

Hope that helps.