Illinois 83, Lewis 50 (Exhibition) POSTGAME

Tacomallini

Washington State
You owe each of us a dollar
1572736417626.png

One thing i was hoping to see was some AG driving to the basket. That was one thing that was talked about a lot was seeing him drive more.
The exhibition game was a good opportunity for him to show out.

This is what I saw too. The only way they can play together is if we switch our offensive style when they’re together. Kofi being able to hit 15 footers gives them a lot of ability to space the floor but just in a different way then underwood currently runs the offense.
I was somewhat encouraged by the high low looks from Giorgi to Kofi. Plus the big to big handoff/pick and roll from the elbow is interesting.

I was somewhat encouraged by the high low looks from Giorgi to Kofi. Plus the big to big handoff/pick and roll from the elbow is interesting.
The 2nd half they ran Giorgi inside with Kofi and it went better. They were still better not together though. The first half with Giorgi on the perimeter didn’t work at all. At one point Lewis just shrugged off Giorgi at the 3 and Giorgi had the ball and kinda sighed and took the wide open shot and it wasn’t even close. You could tell Lewis wasn’t planning to guard him out there at all.

So BBV played 8 minutes, so maybe play him 24 and get 33 pts and 9 rebounds if we prorate. Adding that to Giorgi and Kofi's 53 minutes and 28 points works out quite nicely giving Jermaine 3 minutes.

Granted we startd slow, but won by 33 pts.

Kofi looked great.
BBV looked marvelous.
Theothers we have seen before.

GO ILLINI!
Hoping for a good season at worst, and possibly a special one!

I haven't seen anyone talk about what stood out to me on this game. I was concerned by the slow start, but what I saw was when they came out from that under-8 TO that they dialed up the defensive pressure. THAT is what seemed to turn this game around more than anything. Once they did that they got in to a groove and played better O and D.

I think they came out a little over confident. This exhibition game might be exactly what they needed as a wakeup kick in the teeth so they don't do something stupid against GCU or AZ.