Illinois 83, Lewis 50 (Exhibition) POSTGAME

Excellent performance after the first 12 minutes.

however, Ayo did not look like a first rounder.

blackdog

Champaign
Rough start but man Kofi is going to be such a beast! Really dominate on both ends and he obviously has good bball IQ and some skill to go with that size. So impressive. He altered SO many shots and he only had ONE foul! That will probably go up against better teams but still so impressive.

Also BBV is going to be a legit player. Looks like a guy with high skill level who is not afraid to make plays

The bad: first six minutes we were down 14-2 to Lewis. That kind of start won’t work against good competition. Also Ayo was a no show.

the good: Giorgi (play, cheerleading, and cheerleader flirting), Trent 3-point shooting, Feliz

the great: Kofi doubledouble, BBV late game insanity (3’s, rebounds, etc).

the “meh”: Kipper, Griffin and Damonte all had good and bad moments. Hamlin played decent moments but against what competition

what did I miss?
My goodness I missed Illinois basketball. I L L!

blackdog

Champaign
I do want to say that even thought BBV looked good Kipper also had a solid game and made smart veteran plays on both ends. He played really good minutes and exactly like this team is going to need him to play.

NAMEMINFG%3P%REBASTPTS
T. FRAZIER2071.4600013
A. FELIZ2660506312
A. DOSUNMU2914.325245
G. BEZHANISHVILI236007212
K. COCKBURN2877.8011316
A. GRIFFIN1316.733.3205
B. BOSMANS-VERDONK81001003111
K. NICHOLS13250322
D. WILLIAMS2133.350314
T. UNDERWOOD61000023
J. HAMLIN600200
S. OLADIMEJI400000
Z. GRIFFITH200300

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
What do want from a three? Hit threes off screens. Drive the basket. Guard. Rebound. Why can’t BBV be a 3 if he can hit the open 3, guard and <maybe> drive?

BBV can clearly score but didn’t see enough on the defensive end to know how he’ll be against B10 opponents.

Giorgi once again demonstrated that he can’t shoot the 3, yet he spent a large amount of time beyond the arc in offensive sets where him and Kofi shared the floor.

Kofi is everything we wanted and then some. Ability to knock down that shot from 15ft is going to be huge and should help create space so Kofi and Giorgi can operate well together. I’m hoping Kofi continues to dominate against larger more talented opponents.

Da’Monte made that wide open 3. he also took it to the rim a few times. Hoping to see more of that this year. Defensively he was solid per usual.

Trent was fire from deep like usual.

Feliz was his usual self (good). Still not much from 3 point land.

Jermain had some solid defensive moves. Seemed aware of his surroundings and able to influence the shot. The offense will come, but if he can play defense he’ll be helpful for a few minutes this season.

Griffin and Ayo both seemed to struggle.

A
BBV can clearly score but didn’t see enough on the defensive end to know how he’ll be against B10 opponents.

Giorgi once again demonstrated that he can’t shoot the 3, yet he spent a large amount of time beyond the arc in offensive sets where him and Kofi shared the floor.

Kofi is everything we wanted and then some. Ability to knock down that shot from 15ft is going to be huge and should help create space so Kofi and Giorgi can operate well together. I’m hoping Kofi continues to dominate against larger more talented opponents.

Da’Monte made that wide open 3. he also took it to the rim a few times. Hoping to see more of that this year. Defensively he was solid per usual.

Jermain had some solid defensive moves. Seemed aware of his surroundings and able to influence the shot. The offense will come, but if he can play defense he’ll be helpful for a few minutes this season.

agreed, though I would argue Griffin looked much better late.

I do wonder if GB and KC will make afantastic 40 minutes at the five, but struggle to compliment each other

I was hoping they’d execute their sets better after all the talk of not needing to teach the fundamentals as much this offseason.

My guess is that this season will largely depend on the hot hand getting the ball.

Kofi, Trent, and BBV looked great shooting. Alan struggled and seemed frustrated. Ayo had a really rough game but it didn’t seem like he was forcing anything, which I think showed maturity.

Not sure what position BBV will play. In my eyes he has a prototypical SF look with a great 3 ball, But let his man run away from him a few times on off-ball D. I’m curious to see how he plays face-up on D. He looked slow today, but maybe he was just losing track of his man.

Not at all worried about this team. We have many weapons. We have a front court that will give us far more mismatches than most teams. Not sure how good we'll be this season, but this team will be fun to watch. They went through a lot last season, and that should help too. We had some of the first game jitters you'd expect, but the way we handled it was great. Guys showed some identity after a rough start.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
How I felt down 14-2.....
51f4f397-6ccb-41e6-b419-1dde5560ff8c.gif

Then the ORANGE THUNDERSTORM hit....

tumblr_pdkfm5DOBq1qhcrqmo1_500.gif

great game Illini....we would have been in trouble in the past but we showed alot of confidence to win 83-50...
GO ILLINI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blackdog

Champaign

Two points. Yes didn't see much defensively from BBV but one possession that stood out to me he had good post position against is man after coming across the lane. When the shot went up he had a great box out and attacked the rebound. Good fundamentals there.

For Feliz he did have a pull up 3 on the break that there's no way he is shooting last year

Deleted member 554798

D
Just got home and enjoyed reading the game thread. As I went further into the thread I’d wondered where all the people who already threw the towel in on this season due to a slow start in an exhibition game went? Anybody know what happened to them?

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL
Well it wasn’t perfect. Ayo had a rough night shooting, but I thought he did well at a lot of other things—passing, defense and getting terrible fouls called on him. I feel good about a lot of things I saw, but the FTs scared me. We have to shoot better than that.

If anything, today proved we have a solid 8 - 11 man rotation. Not everyone will be a star, but capable of being a solid role player.

BBV - Giorgi 2.0?
Alan - IMO the biggest question mark. He seemed frustrated. Showed some good and bad.
Hamlin - Seemed like he’ll be able to try and fill the role samba would’ve played this year.
Tevian - Announcer said he’s on academic suspension. So what does that mean with respect to playing time?