Illinois 85, IUPUI 77 POSTGAME

westms77

Gilbert, AZ
Had to have it and we did....guess that's all that matters. Someone please teach these kids how to switch/not switch on D.

rdillini

northbrook, il
Hill and Black terrific. Too many guys with bad footwork on defense. Team seemed more engaged on defense with about 5 minutes to go but they could not grab any loose balls. Need to get stronger with the ball. Understandable for a little let down after the big games of last week and IUPUI played very solid basketball. Take the win but lots for coaches to work with. 7-3 a lot better than 6-4.

Trakis

Chicago, IL
I feel like we play better against decent teams.

ReWatch this game and compare each team's offensive sets. No comparison and I'm not talking positive about ours. A win is a win but my gosh, what are we doing out there?

This game does not worry me for the long run. The team wasn't as focused as they were after the wins last week. The good thing is they were able to buckle down and pull it out. Last week showed that this team has potential, that hasn't change.

Rad

Nashville, TN
really had to have this win. Hope we can keep improving. We need Black to play big minutes and can't count on MH 1 on 1 offense in the BIG

Caught the last 10-min of the game but the offense continues to look stagnant. How IUPUI can get wide open looks while we continue to force shots is frustrating. Hills scores over 30-points but how many times does he lose the ball because he tries to dribble through 3-guys. This has nothing to do with talent. We have more horses than IUPUI but they consistently had better shots.
Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

illinitrav

NW Suburbs
Every team is allowed one "WTF was that" win every year. Today was that win. I'll take it over a loss.

This game doesn't bother me. IUPUI is a decent team and they played well tonight. We showed we were the superior team.

Not sure where people get off calling this TEAM soft. There are a handful of soft players, sure. Finke maybe. Mav for sure.

But Leron Black, Malcolm Hill, and Tracy Abrams give all they got. No reasonable person would call them soft.

I honestly thought Malcolm played soft. There were a couple key plays late with the ball in his grasp and he let it get taken. He missed the front end of a key, late 1-and-1... Not the first time. He's a great player, but he's underperformed the BIG POY conversation in my mind. And in the last week, he's been the 3nd best player on his team.

Rad

Nashville, TN
ReWatch this game and compare each team's offensive sets. No comparison and I'm not talking positive about ours. A win is a win but my gosh, what are we doing out there?

+1000 every year

illini80

Forgottonia
Illinois Basketball
"When it feels like you lost even when you win."

- since 2008
As I said in the Misery thread, they just are not fun to watch. Yep we won. It would be nice to feel some joy instead of just relief.

Anyone still wondering if Finke is our better option at the 4?? I really like his potential, but he's gotta wake up and stop playing so damn soft. Same goes for Mav. Those two need to seriously harden up. The contrast of intangibles between Finke/Mav vs. Leron is night and day.

Illinidreamin

Paris, IL.
I don't understand why Tate was in last 4 min of the game. I don't hate on him just cant see the benefit. Yes he got the steal at the end, but missed the free throws. Guard at end of game= made free throws.

Wow we rode the hot hand of Malcolm to that win. Black should never come out unless he can't breathe. Tracy looked and played off tonight. Give credit to IUPUI they came to play and were disruptive. They should dominate their conference I think they are very good, at least they played like it.

Liked that DJW made some appearances and did something while he was in there. Still turnover prone but still active and engaged.

Our D is terrible. Our bigs were owned first 3 1/2 quarters with the exception of Black. Dude gets rebounds, I don't know how he got that one from underneath and behind the backboard there at the end. Good stuff. Well if your heart aint beatin now it might as well stop cuase I was on the edge of my seat. Too close.

This win honestly feels worse than our loss to West Virginia

I couldn't disagree more. We got absolutely embarrassed by West Virginia and this was a hard-fought win against a mediocre team that happened to shoot pretty well against us (yes, partly due to poor defense).

But Hill was magnificent, DJ Williams got some good run, and Black continues to impress.

C'mon man, your not a real fan if a win feels worse than a loss.

1. thanks to malcolm for 32 pts but
2. thanks god leron is so efficient and such a good all around rebounder
3. we need to work on finishing the finish of a defensive possession. waaaay too many turnovers trying to transition into offense under the other teams basket
4. defense was atrocious. not just the team defense but people were getting beat by their man off the dribble which led to them getting open looks
5. we need to stop letting guys have career noghts against us. no one should ever feel that comfortable (o'leary). first his great great great grandmothers cow tried to burn down chicago and he comes back and tries to torch champaign.
6. orange krush is still meh....even early when we got off to a 10-0 spot
7. great to see you djw. i think hes picking up the cadence of college quicker than AJ.
8. it wasnt pretty but good to get another neutral site win again see #6).