Illinois 85, IUPUI 77 POSTGAME

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
meh. 151 KenPom going into the game, 152 immediately following. Our KenPom rating went down as well, even with the win.

As of 9:14 the game hadn't been recorded on Kenpom yet so what you are seeing is the effect of other games around the country.

I really think Leron will be in the NBA someday. Has a great all around game and if he so happens to start hitting his threes watch out. Dude is a ball of energy.

Your right ....he might not be the best at any one thing....but could lterally be the
best all around players (offense, defense, rebound, taking care of the ball) ever at ILL.

I suspect we will likely see foul trouble every now and then again for awhile. I also predict he will clip someone with an elbow when trying to protect a rebound

I know MF and MM can play better than tonight. We need these two to step UP!!

Liked DJW seeing a few minutes on the floor. I really hope he stays and just work on improving little things and reducing mistakes.

T.Lucas is playing like a freshman, which means more minutes for JT, which means trouble for us.

BirdDog9048

The Chief Lives
Chicago, IL
I honestly thought Malcolm played soft. There were a couple key plays late with the ball in his grasp and he let it get taken. He missed the front end of a key, late 1-and-1... Not the first time. He's a great player, but he's underperformed the BIG POY conversation in my mind. And in the last week, he's been the 3nd best player on his team.
Pretty sure the 1-and-1 you're talking about was Tate, not Malcolm. Also, Malcolm averaged 23.3 points over the last week... not sure how you can call that 3rd best player.

As of 9:14 the game hadn't been recorded on Kenpom yet so what you are seeing is the effect of other games around the country.

KenPom shouldn't change much. He had us by ten and we won by eight. Should lead to a small drop but nothing significant. As you stated, our rank will depend on what other teams do as well.

Let's not forget that OSU lost to a terrible team at home tonight

Been trying to tell everybody they aren't going to be this darkhorse. They will have flashes because of a talented starting five, but there is minimal depth off their bench.

Pretty sure the 1-and-1 you're talking about was Tate, not Malcolm. Also, Malcolm averaged 23.3 points over the last week... not sure how you can call that 3rd best player.

Agreed. The only one close to him is Black. I can't even think of another guy who could be considered close to Hill.

illinitrav

NW Suburbs
I honestly thought Malcolm played soft. There were a couple key plays late with the ball in his grasp and he let it get taken. He missed the front end of a key, late 1-and-1... Not the first time. He's a great player, but he's underperformed the BIG POY conversation in my mind. And in the last week, he's been the 3nd best player on his team.

We must have been watching a different game. Illinois doesn't win that game without Hill. Yeah he had that dumb turnover that led to the dunk but that was a bit fluky. Regardless, yes he should have slowed it down instead of trying to push it.

Also, I think you're getting that missed 1 and 1 confused with Tate.

Turnovers haunted us in the first half but the defense was atrocious in both. They made some tough shots but we give opposing teams too much confidence and it shows in their shooting %. It's ridiculous that we give each sub 100 team hope that they can beat us on our home floor. Sure, we don't prepare for these types of teams as well as top 100 teams but we can't play as if the game has already been decided by vegas. We have a low floor and these guys need to play hard to prove it to other bad teams that they can't hang with us. We come out with so much more energy against good opponents so we know that decent defense is possible but it needs to be like that every night. I'm glad that it was an ugly game because the team needs as many reality checks as possible. I don't blame every player though, our frontcourt needs to be as tough as Black but so far they've been the polar opposite.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
Your right ....he might not be the best at any one thing....but could lterally be the
best all around players (offense, defense, rebound, taking care of the ball) ever at ILL.

I suspect we will likely see foul trouble every now and then again for awhile. I also predict he will clip someone with an elbow when trying to protect a rebound

Black compares favorably to Draymond Green actually.

Every team is allowed one "WTF was that" win every year. Today was that win. I'll take it over a loss.

It's simply looked at as a win by the selection committee. The selection committee doesn't take margin of victory into consideration like the BCS.

illinoisfan11

Peoria, IL
UI looked embarrassingly unprepared again tonight. Thank goodness for Malcolm and Leron. We may have lost by 15+ without them.

Side note: I've seen more than enough guards banking in key 3s against us. First Johnson from Winthrop and again tonight. So annoying.

ReWatch this game and compare each team's offensive sets. No comparison and I'm not talking positive about ours. A win is a win but my gosh, what are we doing out there?

The John Groce philosophy on offense is not to employ an offense.... same with defense.

IlliniFan12

Cedar Falls, IA
From what I've witnessed through 10 games, DJW and AJ appear to be about equally turnover-prone, but DJW has an upside and smoothness to his game that AJ cannot seem to match at this point in his career. Advantage: DJW

I couldn't disagree more. We got absolutely embarrassed by West Virginia and this was a hard-fought win against a mediocre team that happened to shoot pretty well against us (yes, partly due to poor defense).

But Hill was magnificent, DJ Williams got some good run, and Black continues to impress.

C'mon man, your not a real fan if a win feels worse than a loss.

Been a die hard fan my whole life. No need to go there. I'm just upset/frustrated and rightfully so. Yeah maybe it's an overreaction, obviously wins are always better. I'm just tired of never showing up against bad teams.

Sorry if I offended you. I probably won't feel this way tomorrow.