Illinois 85, The Citadel 57 POSTGAME

That is my thought on Kofi — here 2 years. When you hear “he’s only played 4 or 5 years” as comment when he does something good as well as when he does something bad then you know he is raw.

Glad to see DW have a good game. I know many want AG to get most of his minutes, but I think DW is vastly under appreciated I had to laugh when someone posted in game thread that DW is always good for a TO or two a game. He averaged under 1 a game in first two seasons, had fewer than AG last year and the same amount this year. Don’t get me wrong I like AG and his game, but love the lunch pail play of DaMonte.
I have been a DW naysayer, but seems like he is more explosive this year. Always been a great glue guy but limitations on O have been frustrating . Maybe he is now fully healed and adding the old athleticism to what is now a man sized body.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Crowd was mad at Damonte. People wanted Kofi to get 20 rebounds but Damonte kept snagging them :LOL:

I noticed this too towards the end of the game. Damonte stealing Kofi's breakfast, lunch and dinner. Kofi just might have something to say about that in upcoming practices. Pretty funny, though.

When Hawkins committed, there were those who said we’d whiff on Curbelo and Miller. When Curbelo announced, the board was saying we were going to lose Antigua, even before Curbelo’s ink dried. When Ayo had a slow start, it was Miller was going elsewhere because Ayo Might not go pro. Now that it looks like we may be getting Miller (knock on wood), it’s Kofi is going pro earlier than expected.

Can’t we just enjoy the moment without the doom and gloom? Like, maybe for a week?
I think it would actually be good for the program if Kofi was one and done. Would show recruits that Illinois can send kids to the NBA.

sacraig

The desert
Looks like TGB has been on this board a whole lot longer than a lot of us, soooooo...

giphy.gif

blackdog

Champaign
I have been a DW naysayer, but seems like he is more explosive this year. Always been a great glue guy but limitations on O have been frustrating . Maybe he is now fully healed and adding the old athleticism to what is now a man sized body.

He does look more explosive but I'm really frustrated with his lack of aggressiveness. He likes to drive baseline on closeouts and can get by his man but instead of attacking the rim he ends up trying to throw a pass to the opposite corner which is an easy steal for the defense. Happened twice last night and the 2nd time especially he had a chance for an easy reverse layup.

Deleted member 4960

D
He does look more explosive but I'm really frustrated with his lack of aggressiveness. He likes to drive baseline on closeouts and can get by his man but instead of attacking the rim he ends up trying to throw a pass to the opposite corner which is an easy steal for the defense. Happened twice last night and the 2nd time especially he had a chance for an easy reverse layup.
I agree he needs to be more aggressive about shooting. I think he passed up a lay up to dish for a 3 last night.

I think it would actually be good for the program if Kofi was one and done. Would show recruits that Illinois can send kids to the NBA.

I think it would be better for the program if Ayo does go this year and we get Miller with Trent and Andre next year?

Watching the video's postgame, sure looks like Giorgi and Kofi are having a blast together, Giorgi is indeed a "coach", right speak, right actions, he is a fan favorite already and will be even more so by the time he leaves us. The once in a generation player might exist from time to time, etc, but Giorgi might be the once in a generation person as far as basketball players go....so infectious.

Ayo looks disconnected at times on the court this year as well as in this press conference?

I was actually happiest with Hamlin’s play last night. Appeared comfortable running offensive sets and passing out of pinch post and was also active on defense. For a low rated recruit who missed the summer, definitely not the deer in headlights I expected. If he continues to progress could prove invaluable during conference season, as no doubt we will have nights where one or both of our bigs battle foul trouble. Could be an Ebo-like pickup, which would be great.

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
I know we haven’t played a ton of good teams yet but should we be worried about Kofi leaving after this year?
I'm enjoying the hell out of watching 21 but I'd pump the breaks about one and done til we see him perform against B1G big men. I don't doubt he will do well - but NBA well? Many smarter people than I on this board note that the NBA big man skill set has evolved. Having said that, you can't coach 7' 290#.

For those who are a little more informed with schemes and all that, what do you guys think about the new focus on offense and defense? Were these good changes?

Maybe. We will have to see how he handles BiG play, but the modern NBA drafts more on potential now. And you can't teach athletic and big.

Now? Kwame Brown and Darko Milicic wave hello.

I think the biggest determinant is Kofi's jumper. If he can hit them out to 15 feet or hit a good chunk of his FTs, that will do wonders for his stock. Otherwise he'll need to prove he's elite at defense/shot-blocking to make up for clogged lanes on the other end. Right now, I view him as similar to Bruno Fernando, which is not bad at all -- he was a high second round pick.

I love that he finally took one bounce spun and punished the rim!!!!, Now have him spin baseline, one bounce use the rim to block defender and punish reverse dunks! For 4.5 years in, this kid is the real deal, he will only get much much better. Still think we have him for 3 years though.

If he can play against Big Ten teams the way he did played last night, my guess is he could be gone this year, and definitely. after two years. Meyers Leonard was drafted 11th or 12th after his second year, and Kofi is much more athletic than Leonard was. It will be interesting to see how he plays when matched with stronger competition.

Let’s don’t have thread after thread during the season on if Kofi will go pro. Let’s see how things play out and then speculate after the season is over. In the mean time we’ve only played a few games and let’s just keep hoping the team as a whole plays well and makes the dance.

How do you think Kofi will do in the NBA? If he leaves this year, do you think he will be Rookie of the year year? :) :)

If he can play against Big Ten teams the way he did played last night, my guess is he could be gone this year, and definitely. after two years. Meyers Leonard was drafted 11th or 12th after his second year, and Kofi is much more athletic than Leonard was. It will be interesting to see how he plays when matched with stronger competition.
A huge part of why Meyers went that high was because of his shot.

anyway, Kofi posted 9 and 7 vs. Arizona. A nice game, but not early entry type of stuff. It's a long season and he'll have his chance to show himself against top talent.

Here's hoping he posts a double double in the second weekend of the tournament and leaves early. :)

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Leonard was pretty damn athletic. Kofi is a lot stronger than Leonard and can do more because of it.