Illinois 95, Minnesota 68 POSTGAME

If Ayo left for the NBA after this year, he would be the first one-and-done in Illinois history, correct?

That would at least be of some help with recruiting by showing that a 5-star player, even on a bad team, would still have the ability to see their NBA dreams come true with this current staff. I would think that could help with players like Whitney going forward.

Still a lot of basketball to play but this team could be compared to Kruger's second year. Young talented team against a loaded conference that finishes with 3 wins and a BTT run (hoping we can do better). That was a predicate to a very successful team and a run of success going forward. We will see.

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
Great to hear! (the second part, obviously). Funny - I had right leg surgery the same week. Didn’t lose the leg, but also didn’t get all of it (already spread a little). I’ve got good odds, a good attitude, and the treatment is relatively mild in side effects.

I don’t like having “odds” in the first place, but there’s plenty of people worse off than me.

Apologies for derailing this thread a bit - but if it managed to top a feel-good win with some actual IL board unity, than I guess I’m not sorry.

Thank you, IllinistuckinGopherland and Gibb, for putting everything in perspective. Your fighting for your lives makes obsessing over winning and losing basketball games seem really trivial. You guys are amazing, and you are both truly winners. You’ll be in my (as well as many others’ on IL) thoughts and prayers...

IlliniTarHeel

Topsail, NC
For me the most enjoyable part of this game was seeing the guards push the ball up court after a rebound, and even more important after a made basket.
I hate seeing the other team make a shot and then we stand there like the game is over and slowly come up the court. The other team is going to score so
who ever is under the basket grab the ball and get it to guard and go. That puts the pressure on their defense and slows down their offensive rebounding because they know they have to get back quickly. Plus it is way more fun to watch.

If Ayo left for the NBA after this year, he would be the first one-and-done in Illinois history, correct?

That would at least be of some help with recruiting by showing that a 5-star player, even on a bad team, would still have the ability to see their NBA dreams come true with this current staff. I would think that could help with players like Whitney going forward.

Jereme Richmond says hello! Pretty much was done after Illinois.

My friends. The last three months have been the most trying of my life for reasons that have nothing to do with Illini basketball, though they certainly hadn’t been helping (#cancersucks).

Tonight was fun. Tonight was hope. I needed tonight more than I realized.

Glad to share it with you.

I L L

Love and prayers going out to you now, my brother. Hope things go your way and the Illini's way as well.

6th highest SoS, 2nd worst luck according to KenPom. I don't think any team in our remaining B1G schedule should take us lightly.

I hate when people say this as it does not have to do with our unluckiness based on in game scores or results. Rather it is based on projections going into games ranging from the lowest 0.0 to the highest 1.0 on chances of winning a certain game. I believe ours is actually at -.202 which means we should have roughly won 20% more games based on the projected win percentage entering the game. In other words we should really be 8-9ish based on our KenPom ranking and schedule instead of 5-12, but also this is with one of the nation’s 4th toughest schedule currently.

Giorgi B Pic.jpg

Last edited:

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
I hate when people say this as it does not have to do with our unluckiness based on in game scores or results. Rather it is based on projections going into games ranging from the lowest 0.0 to the highest 1.0 on chances of winning a certain game. I believe ours is actually at -.202 which means we should have roughly won 20% more games based on the projected win percentage entering the game. In other words we should really be 8-9ish based on our KenPom ranking and schedule instead of 5-12, but also this is with one of the nation’s 4th toughest schedule currently.
Yah... So then people shouldn't sleep on us cause our record isn't reflective of our school more so than most schools... Like I said.

Thanks for agreeing.

Huh? End of first round is ideal - land with a good team, minimize the pressure to immediately contribute, etc. Financially, not as great, but from a basketball standpoint it’s an outstanding outcome.

He chose to come to a bad illinois team and try to turn the program around. I don't think he is the type to shy away from the pressure to immediately contribute.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
the NBA is not a “we will draft you and let you learn as you go while we pay you millions” league.

This is wildly incorrect. Have you watched the Bulls lately?

Half the league is tanking at all times. Just letting young guys with potential soak up some minutes is most of what's going on in the league at this point. There are all kinds of picks in the 20's just kinda hanging around on rosters.

He chose to come to a bad illinois team and try to turn the program around. I don't think he is the type to shy away from the pressure to immediately contribute.

This is true, and definitely the logic we all hope he uses as he weighs his options. It's pretty rare to pass up a first round draft spot, though. I hope he does, but given his recent momentum, I fully expect him to be gone after this season.

sacraig

The desert

What? I will admit that typing that was painful because the NIT should not be our goal. I also realize we are in a pretty deep hole overall right now and even an NIT bid may be out of reach. That said, if last night was a turning point, we ought to be able to win some games and make up some ground. Considering how many top teams are in the B10 this year, we have the possibility of some significant wins still. Time will tell.

Lots of thoughts I had from last night have been gone over by other posters (hate being on the Left Coast!) so just a few thoughts...

1) Not only did we not get jobbed by the refs, I think we actually got some home-cooking. Plenty of rebounds/blocks/scrums under the Minny basket that would have NO DOUBT been fouls on us in other games (regardless of if they were actual fouls...they just call them on us normally). I imagine all the Minny fans are complaining about the refs like we normally do.

2) I think Ayo has the skill and IQ to be in the NBA after this year, but I think his physical development just isn't there yet. I just can't see him being successful in the NBA in 9 months. Those men are going to crush him physically. But any first round pick is good $. Obviously the NBA drafts on potential in a lot of case and if he's willing to sit and learn for 2 or 3 years then 1-and-done is a good option for him. It's all about his personal wants, needs, and goals.

3) REALLY glad to see the uptick in minutes for our frosh. They weren't junk minutes when we were ahead, they helped build that lead. I argued for this in another thread and am thrilled to see them getting quality minutes (Giorgi, Alan, and Tevian).

4) This is a very young team. Not every game will be like this or better. Don't get down when we lose games we think we should win. We've seen it can work and that it WILL work, but with young guys not every game is going to be A+. Stay positive and hold the course.

Yah... So then people shouldn't sleep on us cause our record isn't reflective of our school more so than most schools... Like I said.

Thanks for agreeing.

Lol. Point taken. My point was that this team is better than their record but still mediocre.

I’m interested to see how BU plays the freshmen going forward. Obviously they got some good minutes against Minny, but it’s easy to play young guys when you’re up 20-30.

Will he start playing Tev, Griffin, and Samba more in close games with 10 min left? That would help Trent, Ayo, Giorgi, etc stay fresh down the stretch.

Huh? End of first round is ideal - land with a good team, minimize the pressure to immediately contribute, etc. Financially, not as great, but from a basketball standpoint it’s an outstanding outcome.

If guaranteed money or getting drafted by a good team is his goal, being projected end of first-round is a precarious position to be in. I just don't think Ayo is 'one-and-done or bust' like Cliff, and will take a more measured approach.

I’m interested to see how BU plays the freshmen going forward. Obviously they got some good minutes against Minny, but it’s easy to play young guys when you’re up 20-30.

Will he start playing Tev, Griffin, and Samba more in close games with 10 min left? That would help Trent, Ayo, Giorgi, etc stay fresh down the stretch.

What I liked is that the freshman got some minutes very early on before we were up by much, or at all. I think Tevian replaced Kipper something like 90 seconds into the game.