Illinois 95, Minnesota 68 POSTGAME

I have woke from my Illini win inebriation and I am standing by my proclamation of being all in on BU! Last night I believe we had one of those moments described in “Field of Dreams” where the universe opens itself up for us to see all that is good..... We saw a system that works when all the cylinders are kicking....we saw a glimpse of the future if we can be patient for just a little longer. I fully expect the team will hit another wall this season but I am finally optimistic again!

And Underwood didn't yell at Nichols but talkes to him. And Nichols didn't roll his eyes and walk away. And Underwood put him back in shortly thereafter. Maybe throwing his jacket resulted in some Bobby Knight feedback.

Tacomallini

Washington State
also with all the Ayo talk, Kofi seems to really think they will play together next year and if I was him would have talked to Ayo about what he’s thinking of doing. Bullet to my head I vote he comes back and we win a lot of games next year
Dang bro, appreciate the optimism, dedication and all, but I think we'd all support you with a much less lethal "punch to my arm" or "kick to my shin"

And Underwood didn't yell at Nichols but talkes to him. And Nichols didn't roll his eyes and walk away. And Underwood put him back in shortly thereafter. Maybe throwing his jacket resulted in some Bobby Knight feedback.

The throwing the jacket was justified at the time.

Think BUs demeaner is more a function of BU recognizing that a team that is 0-5 in conference is needing encouragement instead of tough love. He and the team are in the same foxhole together at this point.

3. I noticed a calmer BU throughout the game , not just after we got a big lead...I'm sure it helped but as I watched his demeanor in the first half I sensed
a mellower BU and more coaching instead of yelling.

My victorious Illini !!!!!

I noticed the same thing. I think the realization that we are not NCAA bound has taken pressure off. That player development/fun factor is key. Saw several players demeanor with BU, they are more comfortable with him.

Yes, why would an unsuccessful "one-and-done" help with recruiting?

That would actually have the reverse effect: "Here is someone who was a 5-star recruit who chose Illinois and never made it to the NBA"

To me, the term "one-and-done" implies that they actually get drafted.

3DegreeIllini

Chicago,IL
If Ayo left for the NBA after this year, he would be the first one-and-done in Illinois history, correct?

That would at least be of some help with recruiting by showing that a 5-star player, even on a bad team, would still have the ability to see their NBA dreams come true with this current staff. I would think that could help with players like Whitney going forward.

I go back and forth on this. 2 years (and done) would probably give Ayo a better connection to the University and its fans, and would pay more dividends for recruiting long-term--especially if next seasons is as special. If Ayo leaves a team he felt he had to carry through a tough slog of a season, he probably moves on and never really looks back. Miles Bridges (sophomore) is probably a Spartan for life. Michael Porter Jr., on the other hand.....

Of course, Ayo has to do what's best for him and his family.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois

I think he came back in when Tevian got his 2nd foul. Which I believe was in the second 90 seconds of the game. 😀

It was good to see Tevian get some time that early. It wasn’t too long before Kane and Griffin got a chance too. Almost like BU has been reading here.

Note that international players are included among that list. It's not regarded as a strong international class.

Things can definitely change, that much is true. But at this moment in time Ayo's got a late first round grade, and rising. He's got scouts' attention.
Out of curiosity are you seeing this anywhere other than ESPN and Illinois centric coverage? I follow the NBA pretty close and I haven't seen/heard his name anywhere. I did some light research on draft sites (which I don't think have any sources, but probably read more on the internet than me) and none of them had him in the draft at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love how Ayo is playing, but I just don't think he's currently someone teams are going to draft in the first round. I don't think he'll have the measurables to wow teams, because no matter how much they bring analytics into it, they'll never stop falling for the Andrew Wiggins of the world.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland

It was noticeable how much less yelling, and how much more explaining BU did. Perhaps it's because they are running the system better, and he is at the point where he can make smaller adjustments and give specific feedback to players who understand the nuances better, instead of players who are lost and struggling with concepts. If so, and I realize this is a narrative I'm spinning, it bodes well. BU looked more like Izzo and less like Knight. This game will be tough, and will tell us a lot about how he communicates in a game that will not be a blowout.

Deleted member 29907

D
It was noticeable how much less yelling, and how much more explaining BU did. Perhaps it's because they are running the system better, and he is at the point where he can make smaller adjustments and give specific feedback to players who understand the nuances better, instead of players who are lost and struggling with concepts. If so, and I realize this is a narrative I'm spinning, it bodes well. BU looked more like Izzo and less like Knight. This game will be tough, and will tell us a lot about how he communicates in a game that will not be a blowout.
1) Agree - the team is running the offense AND defense much better so there is so much less to correct.
2) Can we please stop with the Knight comparisons - that is really an insult to our coach. Knight was in a class by himself re: abuse. If you want to say Izzo as a compare, then I think you are closer when he's getting angry. BU has come no where close to Knight tactics. Izzo gets on his players pretty hard if you watch him - it's just that, as a successful coach, people view that as tough love and teaching.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
1) Agree - the team is running the offense AND defense much better so there is so much less to correct.
2) Can we please stop with the Knight comparisons - that is really an insult to our coach. Knight was in a class by himself re: abuse. If you want to say Izzo as a compare, then I think you are closer when he's getting angry. BU has come no where close to Knight tactics. Izzo gets on his players pretty hard if you watch him - it's just that, as a successful coach, people view that as tough love and teaching.

Okay, fair points; no more Knight comparisons...but there is a trash can that may disagree.

Deleted member 29907

D
Okay, fair points; no more Knight comparisons...but there is a trash can that may disagree.
So true but at least our chairs are safe. ;)

Seriously, though, if anyone needs a refresher on the pycho Knight there was a 30 on 30 and some other recent material on why he got canned (pun intended) that just makes you sick to your stomach, especially as a parent.

Deleted member 79908

D
Out of curiosity are you seeing this anywhere other than ESPN and Illinois centric coverage? I follow the NBA pretty close and I haven't seen/heard his name anywhere. I did some light research on draft sites (which I don't think have any sources, but probably read more on the internet than me) and none of them had him in the draft at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love how Ayo is playing, but I just don't think he's currently someone teams are going to draft in the first round. I don't think he'll have the measurables to wow teams, because no matter how much they bring analytics into it, they'll never stop falling for the Andrew Wiggins of the world.

Agreed. Most reputable mock drafts and scouting don't put Ayo in round 1 or in the draft at all. Would be extremely surprised to see him declare. He needs at least 1 or 2 more years and hope for 1st round.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
So true but at least our chairs are safe. ;)

Seriously, though, if anyone needs a refresher on the pycho Knight there was a 30 on 30 and some other recent material on why he got canned (pun intended) that just makes you sick to your stomach, especially as a parent.
I just watched that 30 for 30 last week. BU isn't even close. That bathroom/locker room story was unbelievable.

Need to see another game before it is more than one in a row. Michigan was a good loss but so was Gonzaga and then bad games. Rebounding huge in the game as it led to a chance to run and we have some excellent finishers in Ayo, Trent, Andre, etc. Did notice Georgi was making the shots using left hand and missing with the right (although looked comfortable with right). If you add Kofi and T (soph Tevian) and retain the rest this team should be competing for a championship next year. That is assuming we continue to see progress though not expecting all wins but would like to see us win at home.

Need to see another game before it is more than one in a row. Michigan was a good loss but so was Gonzaga and then bad games. Rebounding huge in the game as it led to a chance to run and we have some excellent finishers in Ayo, Trent, Andre, etc. Did notice Georgi was making the shots using left hand and missing with the right (although looked comfortable with right). If you add Kofi and T (soph Tevian) and retain the rest this team should be competing for a championship next year. That is assuming we continue to see progress though not expecting all wins but would like to see us win at home.

Competing for a Championship? Like best school in Illinois? I mean, I can see us being good and having a good record and making the tourney. But Championship? Big Ten? National? Nah, don't see it.

Anyone that loves looking up stats and historic stuff....What other B1G freshmen post players have put up similar numbers as Giorgi? Or Illini freshmen post players?

Deleted member 645583

D
I posted a while ago that Giorgi could become a fan favorite. I have to believe he is, but I gotta get down to Assembly Hall (oops, SFC) to witness. And I don't think he's the kind of type who'll mind when and if Kofi joins the Illini.

GO ILLINI!

Last edited by a moderator: