Illinois 99, Evansville 60 POSTGAME

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
After considering the competition it still was a great start to the season...

So many dribble drive layups
great 3pt shooting
Feliz is the real deal
Ayo smooth as " silk "
Trent with many assists and no TO's
GB was very entertaining and rebounded and hit a 3
Damonte showing his athleticism
AJ showing SR leadership and draining from behind the arc
Kipper with a solid game
the 3/4 press was good
defense had many steals

etc etc...again , hard to judge against an inferior opponent but we did what we needed to do

BTN+ was fun to watch with all the cheerleaders dancing at timeouts and the fans getting into it

1-0 and now we have the Hoyas coming in next Tuesday....i really think we are going to be a surprise team and be a lot better than predicted....but we do need more games before getting drunk on the kool-aid....I'm gonna have a big sip of it and keep the pitcher cold for future games..

Deleted member 746094

D
Ayo - A+
Trent - A+
AJ - A+
Feliz - B (turnovers unforced)
Jones - B (came on late, athleticism is on display)
Giorgi - B (rebounding was huge, have fun, dont show up a ref)
DaMonte - B (drives well, need more of them-rebounding good)
Kipper - C (Pedestrian, really we will need more from him)

8 players making major contributions and strides to right the Illini ship...overall C grade against an vastly inferior team. Now if we do this against Georgetown, then it will be time to maybe sit up and take more notice...Great Win, Expected Outcome, Awesome to see new look ILLINI!

Thank God your grading scale isn’t used anywhere I attended school. My B’s and C’s would have flunked me right out of school.

Evansville wasn’t good, but we dominated the last 30 minutes of the game. I give them a strong “B+” because I do think Evansville was that bad. We are so much more athletic this year and our guards will challenge every team we play (minus Duke if we are unfortunate enough to play them).The Hoyas game will be a much better indication of our team early on.

After considering the competition it still was a great start to the season...

So many dribble drive layups
great 3pt shooting
Feliz is the real deal
Ayo smooth as " silk "
Trent with many assists and no TO's
GB was very entertaining and rebounded and hit a 3
Damonte showing his athleticism
AJ showing SR leadership and draining from behind the arc
Kipper with a solid game
the 3/4 press was good
defense had many steals

etc etc...again , hard to judge against an inferior opponent but we did what we needed to do

BTN+ was fun to watch with all the cheerleaders dancing at timeouts and the fans getting into it

1-0 and now we have the Hoyas coming in next Tuesday....i really think we are going to be a surprise team and be a lot better than predicted....but we do need more games before getting drunk on the kool-aid....I'm gonna have a big sip of it and keep the pitcher cold for future games..
So it's official now. Ayo's Nick name is Silk.

Really fun game tonight. Love a lot of these young players and what they bring. But all I had to do was watch Michigan State/Kansas and Duke/Kentucky to see we have a ways to go. Just gonna enjoy the ride.

Any insight as to if any BTN Student U broadcast coming up might be this game? I looked on the BTN site and it just list Student U program...does not list the schools in each broadcast game. Same thing on my Dish Network TV guide? We used to be on Student U quite a bit on these early games in the recent past years.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
So it's official now. Ayo's Nick name is Silk.

That's what Deon called him during the game and in the postgame radio interview....Ayo very mature and heaped praise on teammates and coaches..

BTW, I was going to include team chemistry in my earlier post but will do it here....The chemistry is night and day better this year as all of the players were standing cheering on the players on the court throughout the game...the ILLINI also showed no selfishness during the game and worked for the best shot...

I think we are vastly underrated and will show it with each coming game....we have many weapons and a defense that will get a plethora of fast break baskets...

Kipper played well. In our minds, he should crushing teams because we know he can do it. For whatever reason, I think his presence will be felt against better teams. He won't be outclassed and has the tendency to play at the level of competition.

Thank God your grading scale isn’t used anywhere I attended school. My B’s and C’s would have flunked me right out of school.

Evansville wasn’t good, but we dominated the last 30 minutes of the game. I give them a strong “B+” because I do think Evansville was that bad. We are so much more athletic this year and our guards will challenge every team we play (minus Duke if we are unfortunate enough to play them).The Hoyas game will be a much better indication of our team early on.

So besides a subjective Grade, you agreed with me in the end...?

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
saw a post on another board saying tonite's game will be replayed on BTN at 9:30 am tomorrow...

That's what Deon called him during the game and in the postgame radio interview....Ayo very mature and heaped praise on teammates and coaches..

BTW, I was going to include team chemistry in my earlier post but will do it here....The chemistry is night and day better this year as all of the players were standing cheering on the players on the court throughout the game...the ILLINI also showed no selfishness during the game and worked for the best shot...

I think we are vastly underrated and will show it with each coming game....we have many weapons and a defense that will get a plethora of fast break baskets...
Yep I listened to it on the radio. I love Deon! That was the reason for my response.