Illinois 99, Evansville 60 POSTGAME

OK I was watching live but this replay! Ayo at 3:40 on the highlight........wow.....just wow.

It's refreshing to see a freshman do well because of skill rather than athleticism. College basketball needs more players like Ayo.

For those that didn't watch the game, there was a play that wasn't shown on the highlight. Ayo led a fastbreak and threw a silky smooth behind the back pass to Tyler Underwood, who then tried to throw a lob to Tev Jones. Unfortunately Tev wasn't expecting it but it was almost an SC top 10 play.

I noticed this in the exhibition game too, but does anyone know why when a player starts getting hot (Aaron Jordan hitting threes/layup, Giorgi blocking a shot, etc.), they get taken out of the game? Maybe, it's just in my head.

...overall C grade against an vastly inferior team. Now if we do this against Georgetown, then it will be time to maybe sit up and take more notice...Great Win, Expected Outcome, Awesome to see new look ILLINI!

Well... quite a few thought it would be MUCH closer. It wasn’t even as close as the score indicates... not sure about “Expected Outcome”. Most thought it would be close to the line (UI -14)

I noticed this in the exhibition game too, but does anyone know why when a player starts getting hot (Aaron Jordan hitting threes/layup, Giorgi blocking a shot, etc.), they get taken out of the game? Maybe, it's just in my head.

I’ve noticed this also and it makes me scream at my TV. When a player is HOT, they rarely need a blow. WHY overcoach it?

Only negatives are Griffin's knee and Samba's situation, whatever it is.

I was at choir all night but loved what I saw in the box score.

When AJ got hot in the first half, he wasn't subbed out for another 90 game seconds. I think it's in your head.

Deleted member 746094

D
So besides a subjective Grade, you agreed with me in the end...?

Yes. Sorta. Was more so just having a little fun with the A’s + B’s = C. No harm intended.

I give them a B+ for taking care of business against a far inferior opponent. I really think the combination of Ayo, Trent and Andre will be hard for even the top teams we play to guard. I had to bring the ball up the court in high school for three years in high school against the likes of Frankie, Jerrance and Peoria’s finest. You can’t mimic in practice the pressure and speed at which UofI plays defense in games. Teams can try, but it is very hard to replicate it if it isn’t what you do every day. If we can protect the rim just a little better than last year we could be a very dangerous team by year’s end. JMO

Tacomallini

Washington State
Ayo - A+
Trent - A+
AJ - A+
Feliz - B (turnovers unforced)
Jones - B (came on late, athleticism is on display)
Giorgi - B (rebounding was huge, have fun, dont show up a ref)
DaMonte - B (drives well, need more of them-rebounding good)
Kipper - C (Pedestrian, really we will need more from him)

8 players making major contributions and strides to right the Illini ship...overall C grade against an vastly inferior team. Now if we do this against Georgetown, then it will be time to maybe sit up and take more notice...Great Win, Expected Outcome, Awesome to see new look ILLINI!

I'd give Kipper at least a B...he was involved in both of our successful alley oops, had some nice assists, scored 13, had a block and made one 3 pt shot

cabmaker

eastern IA
had to work tonight, paid for btn plus and it wont let me replay it grrr.

I LOVE this team. Illinois has put us through the wringer for a few years, but tonight I felt a different vibe. This team gets some things and is gravitating towards doing what it actually takes to constantly adapt to getting better. The guys are even talking about immediately changing their approach, in game, when BU tells them they are better than what they just did.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
So Bill Burr made me laugh so hard I got dizzy. Then I come home to watch the replay and some of Ayo's moves made me dizzy.

I believe we will be a much improved team this year. Sounds like the team has really bought in.

Deleted member 29907

D
The official double club:

Scoring:
Aaron :: 19
Ayo :: 18
Andres :: 16
Kipper :: 13
Trent :: 10

Rebounding:
Giorgi :: 10 (2 fouls, one of which was a tech for "jawing" (what is that?))
jaw
verb
jawed; jawing; jaws
Definition of jaw (Entry 2 of 2)
intransitive verb
: to talk especially abusively, indignantly, or long-windedly
jawing with the referee

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_3a707f72-87e7-5aaf-bc52-ca2a49fb6f2b.html

Dosunmu slid perfectly into Underwood’s system. Underwood gave the heralded freshman a blank canvas and let him paint. As far as first collegiate games go, it was a work of art.
“Coach Underwood never made me doubt my abilities,” Dosunmu said. “He told me to just play how I know how to play. As the game got going, I won’t lie, at the beginning of the game I was nervous playing for the first time in front of everybody, but it was fun.”

Sounds like a coach a 5 * recruit should want to play for....

BTW, I really liked the fact that we NO 7 minute scoring drought like we had numerous times last year....We are going to scare so many teams this year with our versatility and tenacity...

Last edited:

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Georgi had 10 boards last night. If he can average 5-6 boards a game we are in great shape. There will also be a ton of crow being served to all the people saying he won't be able to replace Finkes numbers. This team is much better than last years no doubt about it.

Georgi had 10 boards last night. If he can average 5-6 boards a game we are in great shape. There will also be a ton of crow being served to all the people saying he won't be able to replace Finkes numbers. This team is much better than last years no doubt about it.

Another one coming to my early assertion!!!

Yes. Sorta. Was more so just having a little fun with the A’s + B’s = C. No harm intended.

I give them a B+ for taking care of business against a far inferior opponent. I really think the combination of Ayo, Trent and Andre will be hard for even the top teams we play to guard. I had to bring the ball up the court in high school for three years in high school against the likes of Frankie, Jerrance and Peoria’s finest. You can’t mimic in practice the pressure and speed at which UofI plays defense in games. Teams can try, but it is very hard to replicate it if it isn’t what you do every day. If we can protect the rim just a little better than last year we could be a very dangerous team by year’s end. JMO

Agreed, I just want to see them against other than an Aces type of team....Would love to see this team step up in Hawaii and show what really can be done.

Deleted member 29907

D
It's refreshing to see a freshman do well because of skill rather than athleticism. College basketball needs more players like Ayo.

For those that didn't watch the game, there was a play that wasn't shown on the highlight. Ayo led a fastbreak and threw a silky smooth behind the back pass to Tyler Underwood, who then tried to throw a lob to Tev Jones. Unfortunately Tev wasn't expecting it but it was almost an SC top 10 play.
Also wish they'd show more defensive plays in the highlights (other than just the blocks) - Ayo jumped a dribble/drive for a steal that was awesome to behold.

Last edited by a moderator:

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I think this would have been said about TF last year, but I think Ayo has the best euro step of any player we have had in the program. I know that is focusing on a pretty specific skill, but that is a staple in every good PG/wings playbook now. Just so smooth when he attacks. If the team can keep shooting well, TF, Ayo, and EL G are going to break a lot of guys down, and draw a lot of fouls on the way to the rim.