Illinois 99, Evansville 60 POSTGAME

Deleted member 645583

D
It's gonna be fun watching Illini on BTN in a few minutes.

Highlights indicated this is a totally different team - and not just new faces. There's a lot of energy and action and speed. I believe they can shoot, too. Good form from what I saw. We'll see.

Ayo #11 (Dee Brown's number): can't believe his sentiments: proud to be playing for home state etc. So old-school and wonderful!

Unis could be better, though. But I'd love to see them in the tournament.

Another one coming to my early assertion!!!

Just to set expectation, their tallest starter was Kuhlman at 6'8", and he mainly stood out on the wing. No one on their team really hit the boards. Marty Hill at 6'5" led their team with 6 rebounds.

breadman

Herndon, VA
I noticed this in the exhibition game too, but does anyone know why when a player starts getting hot (Aaron Jordan hitting threes/layup, Giorgi blocking a shot, etc.), they get taken out of the game? Maybe, it's just in my head.

I have been seeing this since Henson's day. I have no idea why coaches do this. Groce and Weber did it. It drives me nuts too. It's almost like there is a book written decades ago for Illinois head basketball coaches that holds the guidelines by which they will coach a team.

Deleted member 645583

D
I have been seeing this since Henson's day. I have no idea why coaches do this. Groce and Weber did it. It drives me nuts too. It's almost like there is a book written decades ago for Illinois head basketball coaches that holds the guidelines by which they will coach a team.
It's a momentum killer.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Just to set expectation, their tallest starter was Kuhlman at 6'8", and he mainly stood out on the wing. No one on their team really hit the boards. Marty Hill at 6'5" led their team with 6 rebounds.

Yep. Giorgi looks a lot better than the ultra reach many thought he was. But Evansville is not a measuring stick. We'll have a much better idea soon.

ILFaninFL

Nature Coast in Florida
I watched the game last night and the one against Wesleyan. The good news was I saw improvement. Worrisome is our interior defense without Giorgi on the floor. The first two possessions Evansville drew Giorgi from the lane and then drove it. Underwood must have told him to park his butt under the basket because he did a much better job after that.

When we went small, with Kipper at center, we would have been run off the floor if they had good guards. Kipper is not the answer. With Samba mysteriously sitting we have to hope that Adonis can give us quality minutes – and soon. Giorgi can’t do it on his own. Cockburn did you see this? There are a ton of minutes waiting for you, sir.

Feliz makes us better. He did have a couple of unforced errors, but I felt the offense ran better with him on the floor. He at least would make an entry pass. Don’t be surprised if he challenges Trent and Ayo for the top dog at point before the year is out.

Ayo may very well be a one and done if he gets comfortable and plays like he did late in the second half. Yes, he was up against inferior talent, but you can just see he is special. If I needed someone to drive the ball, he would be my pick ten out of ten times.

AJ was what you expect from a senior. He floated to the corner and hit uncontested threes all night. What I was really impressed with was that at one point they got in his face and he put the ball on the floor and drove around his defender. If he can do that the rest of the year, we will be happy.

Jones was a pleasant surprise. When he first got in the game, I thought it was Samba. He has freakishly long arms. Putting on the point of the press defense was a great idea. You could tell he was a freshman. By the second half of the year he should see his minutes go way up.

Kipper I expected much more from. He did score but he disappeared for long stretches.

Trent and DeMonte did well when on the floor.

I think we need about five more games against the weak sisters to bring this team together. Don’t be surprised if we drop a few early with the schedule we have ahead of us. By mid-season people are not going to want to play us.

Deleted member 645583

D
Yep. Giorgi looks a lot better than the ultra reach many thought he was. But Evansville is not a measuring stick. We'll have a much better idea soon.

Giorgi's got some bulk and is more atheltic than I thought he'd be.

It's funny commenting on a game that's been played and has already been commented on. Illini radio team is great! Radio is great, but I want to SEE Illini move.

And it's great learning how to pronounce Giorgi's last name.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Two sequences that really stood out to me were Tev Jones' at the top of the press then turning and crashing the boards for a couple of rebounds. When that kid gets comfortable, he is going to be a difference maker.

Deleted member 645583

D
Illini did what they should have done: clobber an inferior team.

But I have nothing but respect for Evansville.

As I think I've posted, Daddy was nearly transferred there when I was 10 (circa 1961) and he told me about basketball program. We took a look-see: nice place.

Dylan Meyer is from Evansville!

And I will never forget the 1977 tragedy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unis could be a lot better. That said, am very glad the zig zags are gone. They were lame.

Not sure they were any worse than the current ones, given they were a discrete nod to the Chief. Anyway, the throwbacks are nothing short of glorious, and we seem to wear them for a lot of big games. Hope we wear the orange throwbacks for the first time in the Braggin' Rights Game.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I keep seeing people say Kip diasporas in these first few games. And maybe he does, but I think some of this is because we now have 2-3 guys that the ball runs through before it ends up in his hands. And that is a good thing IMO. The offense isn't held hostage pending the night Kip is going to have shooting the ball.

Deleted member 645583

D
Watching BTN coverage: this is student-produced? What a great job - camera work, talk. So much info! Better than BTN coverage (but of course, the students are homers!) I just heard one of the announcers use the word "clamoring". These guys are articulate and sharp.

Watching BTN coverage: this is student-produced? What a great job - camera work, talk. So much info! Better than BTN coverage (but of course, the students are homers!) I just heard one of the announcers use the word "clamoring". These guys are articulate and sharp.
This would be the first student-run production with good announcers ever. Every single one I have heard, they are awful!

Does anyone else think Georgie is our teams Kramer?

W75jKW.gif
il-eva-14.gif

Really fun game tonight. Love a lot of these young players and what they bring. But all I had to do was watch Michigan State/Kansas and Duke/Kentucky to see we have a ways to go. Just gonna enjoy the ride.
Dude, we played much better than UK did. Yeah, Duke had a something to do with that, but they were a mess.

Well... quite a few thought it would be MUCH closer. It wasn’t even as close as the score indicates... not sure about “Expected Outcome”. Most thought it would be close to the line (UI -14)

Not me, I picked us as 20+ winners in the pre-game thread.

There were a couple of times during the broadcast on BTN+ that they got caught up talking I think and didn't articulate the stoppages as well as the guys and gals that do this for a living...but they are amateurs learning the ropes. I think the BTN Student U stuff is a great bonus piece of the BTN. The kids get a chance to get some real world experience that wouldn't be nearly as readily available otherwise. I think I recognized the voices last night from previous volleyball/womens basketball games I've watched this season and they continue to get better. Yeah, they're not pros yet but they're getting experience.

CAIllini

West Coast
There were a couple of times during the broadcast on BTN+ that they got caught up talking I think and didn't articulate the stoppages as well as the guys and gals that do this for a living...but they are amateurs learning the ropes. I think the BTN Student U stuff is a great bonus piece of the BTN. The kids get a chance to get some real world experience that wouldn't be nearly as readily available otherwise. I think I recognized the voices last night from previous volleyball/womens basketball games I've watched this season and they continue to get better. Yeah, they're not pros yet but they're getting experience.

I agree, while it can be cringe-worthy at times, last nights crew was better than most. I take offense for having to pay extra for BTN+, but like the educational angle.

Make it a free stream and everyone would be praising them for innovation...BTN is missing a golden PR opportunity to show that it's truly a student-[athlete]-focused network and fundamentally different than the ESPN's of the world for what is likely minimal revenue.