Illinois 99, Evansville 60 POSTGAME

Two sequences that really stood out to me were Tev Jones' at the top of the press then turning and crashing the boards for a couple of rebounds. When that kid gets comfortable, he is going to be a difference maker.

He is freaky long and annoying on defense at the top of the press. Can't wait for him to pick off a steal in transition and see him fly.

jmilt7

Waukegan
had to work tonight, paid for btn plus and it wont let me replay it grrr.

If you are trying to watch it on a Roku device via the BTN2Go app (or channel, or whatever it is called) there is an issue. Please see my comment on the BTN Plus thread (number 42). I would just quote it here but there are a couple of replies from others that describe how to possibly work around it.

Deleted member 645583

D
This would be the first student-run production with good announcers ever. Every single one I have heard, they are awful!
Perhaps, I don't know. I give the guys an A+. But lower your voices, if you can. You were very slightly hysterical.

I remember listening to an Illini baseball game years ago. One of the annnouncers had a speech impediment. What is this? Not thinking. Turned out, the guy was hearing impaired. I was so ashamed. The guy was great. Students at Univerity of Champaign: keep up the good work!

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
How was the 3s to 2s ratio? I feel like we shot a TON of 3s. 28 to be exact. It looked nice cause we made 12 of them, but woof if/when we have a cold game.

Deleted member 645583

D
Today is a kind of Christmas as far a presents are concerned. Snow. And then the mailman delivers the Illini media guide! Only $15. Trent on the cover. Go to Illini b-ball to get yours.. Well worth it. Go Illini.

Where is the hearing-impaired, great color-guy now? I'd like to know.

I actually have an Illini bb nerf backboard/hoop. Not too many 3's but I did a couple of teardrop lay ups with euro step while watching the game.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Also wish they'd show more defensive plays in the highlights (other than just the blocks) - Ayo jumped a dribble/drive for a steal that was awesome to behold.
+1
Yeah, that was a straight up (clean-no foul) mugging. I think I watched that 4 times in a row.

The play by play announcer was solid. The person doing color ought to add color, not constant babble, the babble got in way of the play-by-play on more than one occasion.

The play by play announcer was solid. The person doing color ought to add color, not constant babble, the babble got in way of the play-by-play on more than one occasion.

Yeah, I wish they'd save at least some of their banter for dead time during TO's, etc. Often left wondering what happened during play. But, otherwise, glad to see these kids getting opportunities/experience.

I have been seeing this since Henson's day. I have no idea why coaches do this. Groce and Weber did it. It drives me nuts too. It's almost like there is a book written decades ago for Illinois head basketball coaches that holds the guidelines by which they will coach a team.

The Giorgi instance was because he failed to close out on a shooter. Underwood had someone at the scores table before the block. He proceeded to put him back in at the next day ball after using the teaching moment.

The Giorgi instance was because he failed to close out on a shooter. Underwood had someone at the scores table before the block. He proceeded to put him back in at the next day ball after using the teaching moment.

I was referring to AJ. Right after he drained some threes, he got yanked. AND it’s not just this game. It happens ALL the freaking time.

I was referring to AJ. Right after he drained some threes, he got yanked. AND it’s not just this game. It happens ALL the freaking time.
Someone should ask coach abt this in the next presser, bc after he ridicules the question I would look fwd to people's explanation of why he was lying or that he does it subconsciously all the time and doesn't realize it.

Deleted member 29907

D
An interpretation:
Coaches need to rotate players in our type of O and D (alot of movement/hustle all the time).

Often the best time to take them out is right after a good play - better to go to the bench on a high rather than a low ("Just need to give you a quick blow - great job - we'll get you back in quickly"). You risk overplaying the hot hand to the point of failure and then taking them out after they start to falter / get too fatigued.

Not saying i agree or disagree but I think fatigue is the key factor and with fatigue you risk potential failure, injury if pushed too far.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Someone should ask coach abt this in the next presser, bc after he ridicules the question I would look fwd to people's explanation of why he was lying or that he does it subconsciously all the time and doesn't realize it.

I was going to post a link to the classic "hot hand fallacy" as a reason why BU and other coaches likely don't change their sub patterns based on how many shots a player has made. Then I ran across this article that may indicate that they may a bit wrong in doing so. Not definitive but interesting food for thought.

https://www.thecut.com/2016/08/how-researchers-discovered-the-basketball-hot-hand.html

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL
If you are referring to when AJ scores 8 points in under a minute, he did not get “yanked.” Evansville called a timeout and play stopped.

ttelbonk

Champaign
I was going to post a link to the classic "hot hand fallacy" as a reason why BU and other coaches likely don't change their sub patterns based on how many shots a player has made. Then I ran across this article that may indicate that they may a bit wrong in doing so. Not definitive but interesting food for thought.

https://www.thecut.com/2016/08/how-researchers-discovered-the-basketball-hot-hand.html

That is really interesting. I always believed in the hot hand anyway. Cool to see it’s backed up.

I assume a lot of times the sub is already waiting at the scorer’s table to come in before the player being replaced has gone on his little run. Also, making two or three straight shots is not that much of an anomaly. When I think of a player with a hot hand, I think of Brandon Paul versus Ohio State or Klay Thompson scoring 30 points (or whatever ridiculous amount it was) in a quarter. Scoring 8 straight like AJ did the other night is more a product of a good shooter happening to get the shot on three consecutive possessions as opposed to truly having a hot hand.

Last edited:
Gotta share this. I was watching on BTN Plus, and texting back and forth with a buddy who was also watching. For some reason, our texts didn’t match the game progression. Finally, he asked me who IL was playing on my TV. It turns out I watched nearly the entire IWU replay by mistake. He told me to “step away from the bong”. LOL Missed 3/4 of the Evansville game. (Btw, I don’t use anything) Naturally scatterbrained.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Sometimes a player has requested to be subbed out then goes on a scoring spree.......JG did it more than I liked but I haven't noticed it from BU until I read this thread...

Anyone think Jones may be Georgi's replacement until AD is healthy? His jumping ability may make him a better alternative to Kipper, who we need at the 4 and can't afford him to be in foul trouble. Seemed like that was tried in this game.

Anyone think Jones may be Georgi's replacement until AD is healthy? His jumping ability may make him a better alternative to Kipper, who we need at the 4 and can't afford him to be in foul trouble. Seemed like that was tried in this game.
I don't think that leaping is much of a defense against a good big man, who will just back you down. But I agree that we need Kipper. It's a dilemma for the coaches for sure.

I'm guessing they play Kip at the 5 until it's proven that they can't.