Illinois 99, Rutgers 94 OT POSTGAME

Deleted member 4960

D
Way to go Giorgi! That was a dominant performance by the big man in the 2nd half! They had no answer. I can’t remember a performance like that by an Illini Big man! And I’ve seen a few. Better D in the 2nd half as a whole. I just wish these kids knew how to stop the ball on the break.

what I love about this game, is a lot of players made big plays in clutch moments tonight....GB goes without saying but alsl:

-Ayo drive and hitting AJ wide open when tied at 82
-trent hitting the 3 down 2 to set the tone in OT
-feliz clutch fts

what I love about this game, is a lot of players made big plays in clutch moments tonight....GB goes without saying but alsl:

-Ayo drive and hitting AJ wide open when tied at 82
-trent hitting the 3 down 2 to set the tone in OT
-feliz clutch fts
While Giorgi really did dominate, it was one of the best total team efforts all year.

We had no idea really how much Dela Rosa and Feliz were going to mean to this team, but MAN they are paying off in spades!

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
So, the great majority of players on this team are, thankfully, gonna get to play in games that matter a lot more than that. I hope Ayo is one of them.

But a couple of our guys are at the end of the line, and in particular there is one that has been talked about in a certain way on this board for years because his dad has come on here and indulged us. If Aaron Jordan had been a useless scrub, we'd still talk about him in the same way because that's how human psychology and group dynamics work. And AJ has had his struggles over the years, no question.

But damn, that kid is tough as nails and has grown into an essential player for this team and a wonderful example for his teammates, and these fun wins we're getting that have us all jacked up about the future are his magnum opus in an Illini uniform. We lose that game without him.

We've got a chance to turn this ship around in the years to come. If we do, Aaron Jordan deserves an ocean of thanks. "Culture" is the sum total of your graduated seniors who gave ten times what they got in return over the course of their careers.

frozenrope9190

Aurora, IL
It was the kind of game where if we lost, I would feel bad, but not in the 'We blew it' kinda way. Rutgers was making some really good plays, especially down the stretch. It was kind of a shame someone had to lose it.

Hell of a turnaround to such a depressing start to the season.

We got the "Rutgers after MSU hangover" monkey off our backs!

Don't think this was as much of hangover as it was that Rutgers just played a hell of a game....granted don't think we played as well as we did against MSU...but Rutgers played really well.

So, the great majority of players on this team are, thankfully, gonna get to play in games that matter a lot more than that. I hope Ayo is one of them.

But a couple of our guys are at the end of the line, and in particular there is one that has been talked about in a certain way on this board for years because his dad has come on here and indulged us. If Aaron Jordan had been a useless scrub, we'd still talk about him in the same way because that's how human psychology and group dynamics work. And AJ has had his struggles over the years, no question.

But damn, that kid is tough as nails and has grown into an essential player for this team and a wonderful example for his teammates, and these fun wins we're getting that have us all jacked up about the future are his magnum opus in an Illini uniform. We lose that game without him.

We've got a chance to turn this ship around in the years to come. If we do, Aaron Jordan deserves an ocean of thanks. "Culture" is the sum total of your graduated seniors who gave ten times what they got in return over the course of their careers.
If I could like this a gozillion, I would. Your best post ever. Period.

blackdog

Champaign
It was the kind of game where if we lost, I would feel bad, but not in the 'We blew it' kinda way. Rutgers was making some really good plays, especially down the stretch. It was kind of a shame someone had to lose it.

Hell of a turnaround to such a depressing start to the season.

Rutgers was hitting some TOUGH shots. Illini didn't play bad defense, not many wide open shots or layups. Some of those make its like "what more can you do?"

Deleted member 645583

D
I want Ayo and Coach to take ME out to lunch because I can't handle games like these, and I need their support. And I'LL pay!

A great win. These Illini are learning - in this case the hard way. .

Now I can watch replay at midnight and have fun.

Thanks coaches and team.

Who's the next victim?

Last edited by a moderator:

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
0D037EF2-59AC-4643-A29C-47EB9463BC13.png

Giorgi trending nationally on twitter

Sorry, but this makes no sense. You should beat another lower level big ten team on home court. Our play was pretty good but not like vs MSU
Never said we played like MSU. That level of play consistently is a big ask. Being able to follow up with a solid game (like this) is a sign we are moving towards stability and consistency with different players stepping up when needed. That’s what I meant by strides.

illiniCA

DC Area

Jordans personal stats have been sacrificed for the sake of Illinois basketball. On another team he could play 3 and just be a shorter. Is he ability to play 4 on defense is totally unexpected and necessary to our success

Last edited: