Illinois 99, Rutgers 94 OT POSTGAME

Post entry is such a lost art in the game today. A lot of teams *cough* Mizzou *cough* have good post players and can’t get them the ball consistently. Young players specifically struggle with getting the ball down low.

We’re a young team and we’re amazing at it. By now every opponent knows Giorgi is a threat, and they still can’t stop him from getting the ball. And we can get him the ball in so many different ways.

This offense consistently puts Giorgi in great positions to score with just one or two moves. That’s all BU. Leron and now Giorgi. PF/C recruits should be knocking down BU’s door trying to get a spot on his team.

Never said we played like MSU. That level of play consistently is a big ask. Being able to follow up with a solid game (like this) is a sign we are moving towards stability and consistency with different players stepping up when needed. That’s what I meant by strides.
Umm...no one did. To say you’d be ok with a loss at home is ridiculous imo.

So, I seem to notice all the Giorgi bashers when he was recruited have disappeared for a while. I will guarantee that none of us had high expectations when we saw the film. First off, white boys can't jump. Second, there are a lot of 6'9 players out there that some will make an impact, and some will be one of the most favorite players of all time, half way through his freshman season Giorgi is becoming a legend. May all the naysayers have enough self respect to admit they shouldn't critique and bad mouth anyone.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Jordans personal stats have been sacrificed for the sake of Illinois basketball. On another team he could play 3 and just be a shorter. Is he ability to play 4 on defense is totally unexpected and necessary to out success

Yeah, he's playing wildly out of position, totally away from his strengths, and just answering the bell over and over.

Remember the "Matto chart"? Pretty much every Aaron Jordan rebound is that kind of hustle play. He's just not tall enough to get them any other way from where he starts based on who he's guarding.

And that gives some perspective to the idea of wanting to "play the freshmen" all the time. AJ's pure graft keeping them on the bench is gonna be the best thing that ever happened to Griffin and Tevian.

Sorry, but this makes no sense. You should beat another lower level big ten team on home court. Our play was pretty good but not like vs MSU
Maybe on defense. But I thought the offense looked even better today, and still would be pretty optimistic about next year even if Rutgers had stolen this one with a buzzer beater. As it is, really liked the teams composure in OT. If Damonte had hit his free throws so we cracked 100, I would be giddy.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Should be said, we're not the only team in that game that's on the right track as a program. That was a heck of a performance by a Rutgers team that's even younger than us.

Which is good news because it is decreed by God that Illinois will only ever be exactly as good as Rutgers at basketball.

Deleted member 643761

D
So, I seem to notice all the Giorgi bashers when he was recruited have disappeared for a while. I will guarantee that none of us had high expectations when we saw the film. First off, white boys can't jump. Second, there are a lot of 6'9 players out there that some will make an impact, and some will be one of the most favorite players of all time, half way through his freshman season Giorgi is becoming a legend. May all the naysayers have enough self respect to admit they shouldn't critique and bad mouth anyone.
I don't really recall bashing. Many dubious of himbring much better than ebo.

We werewrong

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I recall someone referring to Giorgi as a Georgian Ibby. None of us knew what to expect from Giorgi but it's worth noting that today Giorgi scored 5 times as many points as Ibby did in two years here.

Deleted member 4960

D
Illinois has 5 wins and I think an outside chance to get to 9/10 wins in the Conference. That would really be a great Springboard into the conference tournament and for next year.

Way to go Giorgi! That was a dominant performance by the big man in the 2nd half! They had no answer. I can’t remember a performance like that by an Illini Big man! And I’ve seen a few. Better D in the 2nd half as a whole. I just wish these kids knew how to stop the ball on the break.
Thoren had a few with that hook shot of his and of course Deon, but you're right, it's been a while since a big man dominated like that.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Post entry is such a lost art in the game today. A lot of teams *cough* Mizzou *cough* have good post players and can’t get them the ball consistently. Young players specifically struggle with getting the ball down low.

We’re a young team and we’re amazing at it. By now every opponent knows Giorgi is a threat, and they still can’t stop him from getting the ball. And we can get him the ball in so many different ways.

This offense consistently puts Giorgi in great positions to score with just one or two moves. That’s all BU. Leron and now Giorgi. PF/C recruits should be knocking down BU’s door trying to get a spot on his team.

One of a bunch of signs we're finally seeing of what the resume told us: BU is the real deal as a coach.

If, IF, he's able to consistently put solid, experienced talent on the floor with a positive team culture, we're gonna be in really good shape. To keep things stable and moving forward, in other words.

He was an F-minus on that aspect during the first year-plus of his tenure, so I remain guarded. But the occasional dark thought that 53-1 in conference at SFA and the #1 offense in the nation with Travis Ford's garbage was somehow a mirage has definitely been proven unfounded.

Also Jeffrey Carroll at Oklahoma state, right?

Girogi's favorite player
Georgi  Favorite Player.jpg

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I remember before AJ showed up on campus as a incoming freshman and we were debating if he should redshirt, or if he could help us add depth at guard or the 3 or what he would be able to do. Rob came on here and simply said AJ is a basketball player and will do what ever he is asked. 4 years later those words are so true The kid is a basketball player. I am glad we get to watch him help this team grow and advance the program.

Kind of like Egwu. He was raw in the beginning but ended up as the heart and soul of the team. Giorgi has obviously worked on his FTs and can't be considered an easy target to foul to put him on the line. His moves to both the right and left make him hard to double team, as we saw in the OT.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Sorry, but this makes no sense. You should beat another lower level big ten team on home court. Our play was pretty good but not like vs MSU
Rutger's was on a different level emotionally trying to win for their coach following the loss of his mom. They played at a very high level, and btw, so did we. It was a great win and also btw, no team is easily beatable in the B1G this season, and anything can happen in a game.