Illinois 99, Rutgers 94 OT POSTGAME

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
KenPom is now 72. We went down?

OT at home against a team ranked below us, not shocking.

If we keep playing the way we're playing and Rutgers does the same we're still on a positive trajectory.

We just gutted out a win against a better team than the Xavier, ND, Georgetown types we were just sorta bending over for in November.

We need to take it up another level yet to be a real thing, but we have plenty of time to make that happen.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
What a game !!!!!!

Rutgers made so many acrobative layups that were ridiculous and drove the lane at will that I'm sure will be addressed in practice by BU....But, this game was a TOTAL team effort with everyone contributing to the win.....The chemistry is off the charts, the effort is beyond impressive, the composure is hardened steel and the stamina is a tribute to fletch and staff....

Please enjoy this win and 3 game winning streak as it has been a tough season but the tide has turned and we are a team that no one wants tp play at the level we are playing now..

I'm proud of the coaching staff for keeping the morale of the players high in the face of extreme adversity and to the players for believing in the staff and the
culture being implimented....The sky's the limit for the Illini and it's been a longgggggggggggg time coming so I'm gonna toast the Illini and this win and get ready for osu and another Illini win....

giphy (16).gif

giphy (19).gif
Who is this Giorgi B. cat ?

foby

Bonnaroo Land
So, I seem to notice all the Giorgi bashers when he was recruited have disappeared for a while. I will guarantee that none of us had high expectations when we saw the film. First off, white boys can't jump. Second, there are a lot of 6'9 players out there that some will make an impact, and some will be one of the most favorite players of all time, half way through his freshman season Giorgi is becoming a legend. May all the naysayers have enough self respect to admit they shouldn't critique and bad mouth anyone.

Jacob Tucker says HI.

Deleted member 649710

D
So, I seem to notice all the Giorgi bashers when he was recruited have disappeared for a while. I will guarantee that none of us had high expectations when we saw the film. First off, white boys can't jump. Second, there are a lot of 6'9 players out there that some will make an impact, and some will be one of the most favorite players of all time, half way through his freshman season Giorgi is becoming a legend. May all the naysayers have enough self respect to admit they shouldn't critique and bad mouth anyone.
Giorgi is an absolute revelation. His basketball IQ and poise under pressure — for a freshman — is fantastic. NOBODY saw this coming.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
So, I seem to notice all the Giorgi bashers when he was recruited have disappeared for a while. I will guarantee that none of us had high expectations when we saw the film.

To defend those folks, who may or may not include me, he showed zero of what he has in any of the youtube videos that were out there for him, and his offer list reflected that.

I don't understand how a big guy of that skill level wasn't destroying everyone in high school. It's not like Giorgi's a shy kid or something.

The random thing that doesn't make sense has happened in our favor for once, let's savor it.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Has there ever been a pair of freshman on the level of Ayo and Giorgi? I'd say they are the best fresh duo ever for the Illini.

Giorgi:
The only thing I remember liking when viewing video when he committed was that he looked quick and had really great footwork.
I didn't know, I'll bet nobody knew, that his repertoire of moves in the paint was so developed.

Still say that the best thing about the player is his personality. If he doesn't already, he's gonna own the campus.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
The only thing I remember liking when viewing video when he committed was that he looked quick and had really great footwork.
I didn't know, I'll bet nobody knew, that his repertoire of moves in the paint was so developed.

Still say that the best thing about the player is his personality. If he doesn't already, he's gonna own the campus.
I have a feeling that coaching has a lot to do with it. If coaching was a painting then Giorgi would be OA's Mona Lisa.

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
We've got a chance to turn this ship around in the years to come. If we do, Aaron Jordan deserves an ocean of thanks. "Culture" is the sum total of your graduated seniors who gave ten times what they got in return over the course of their careers.

This. It would be wonderful to run the table in Chicago and get him a game at the Dance.

Last edited:

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
I remember before AJ showed up on campus as a incoming freshman and we were debating if he should redshirt, or if he could help us add depth at guard or the 3 or what he would be able to do. Rob came on here and simply said AJ is a basketball player and will do what ever he is asked. 4 years later those words are so true The kid is a basketball player. I am glad we get to watch him help this team grow and advance the program.

Illini Nation thanks you, AJ, for persevering and sticking it out through so much adversity. It would be absolutely awesome to see you get rewarded with a post-season game or two...

Deleted member 4960

D
What is so great about Giorgi is his ability to finish with both hands and his extremely soft touch around the rim for a freshman big. Some guys can finish but not usually with both hands and that soft touch gives him a lot of rolls that other guys don’t get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proud of the team and coaches!

Disappointed in Bardo as an announcer. He always tries too hard to not look like he favors Illinois, but too often this game he spoke in favor of Rutgers or against Illinois before even watching the play to see what really happened. The shove at the end on Giorgi where he criticized Feliz and especially AJ for “wanting to be an enforcer” is just one, but is the most glaring example.

Go Illini!!!

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
One of a bunch of signs we're finally seeing of what the resume told us: BU is the real deal as a coach.

If, IF, he's able to consistently put solid, experienced talent on the floor with a positive team culture, we're gonna be in really good shape. To keep things stable and moving forward, in other words.

He was an F-minus on that aspect during the first year-plus of his tenure, so I remain guarded. But the occasional dark thought that 53-1 in conference at SFA and the #1 offense in the nation with Travis Ford's garbage was somehow a mirage has definitely been proven unfounded.

Good to see you back Obelix.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
To defend those folks, who may or may not include me, he showed zero of what he has in any of the youtube videos that were out there for him, and his offer list reflected that.

I don't understand how a big guy of that skill level wasn't destroying everyone in high school. It's not like Giorgi's a shy kid or something.

The random thing that doesn't make sense has happened in our favor for once, let's savor it.

Why not? You answered this in the above post I quoted. It's BU.

oleoleahy51 said:
It's kinda funny. We rag on the officials when things don't go OUR way, but Rutgers got screwed at the end: the ball was clearly, inadvertantly OB off Giorgi's shoe.

And Rutgers got the ball I thought after the review??

And they missed the obvious Hooking foul by Omoruyi before he bounced the ball off Georgi's toe.

lleoleahy must have made a quick beer run to the frig while the reversal was announced.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Is Giorgi an Olympian next year?

Wow. Never saw this coming.
I would think he at least gets an invite to tryouts. If he makes it, there could be at least 4 Giorgi's on the team.

Deleted member 645583

D
I disagree, Mona Lisa is mysterious, a cipher. Giorgi ain't, thank God!
I have a feeling that coaching has a lot to do with it. If coaching was a painting then Giorgi would be OA's Mona Lisa.

Ayo and Giorgi or Dee and Augie? Personally would take freshmen Dee and Augie.