Illinois 99, Rutgers 94 OT POSTGAME

Dare we have two players make the Big 12 all freshman team. Is there ant type of NCAA all-freshman team? If so, one of GB or Ayo need to be on that list!

Would love to see a Jordan Murphy on this team. Physical player that is our missing piece IMO. Aaron does a great job for his size but is manhandled by larger players. Maybe Leron could have been that piece but it isn't there in any case. Kofi will add the physical but it will sure change Giorgi's role. Maybe that piece is a spring recruit we don't know about ala Giorgi.

How about a 5th year graduate??:)

But Skip didn't play as a freshman. Actually, Deon didn't either. Then again, Giorgi isn't a typical freshman from an age standpoint
I'm fired up about GB, AYO, and I wish Tev hadnt missed those 8 games or he could have had even more development and confidence at this point in the season.Deon redshirting certainly helped his development I am sure. With GB looking great and 2 additional bigs coming in next year I think the 5 spot should be pretty solid.
Adonis has looked much healthier too and was huge today.

Last edited:
Dare we have two players make the Big 12 all freshman team. Is there ant type of NCAA all-freshman team? If so, one of GB or Ayo need to be on that list!

Thought the ILLINI played in the B1G 14 now?

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Loved it in the postgame presser when GB talked about his immediate family and said about the Illini..." This is my family now "

what a great kid...he is having the time of his life and seems so well grounded to not get a big head about him....

we are seeing the culture that BU has said he wanted at UI materilze right before our eyes...and Higgs seems bought in as well, even with the rough season he has had....I see us having a great foundation already laid and am not too concerned about any defections during the off season and more high quality recruits wanting to experience the rebirth of the Illini tradition...

Just watched the highlights and reviewed stats. My takes....

-Giorgi's foul ctrl, passing, FTs and consistency down low offensively is a game changer. Honestly, I think his positive light on the team through tough times alone makes him MVP candidate.

-4 players had over 33 min.....it worked but would like to see more tick for bench ...,namely AG and TJ

-Trent and AJs 3s down stretch were vital to win

-Rutgers will be a tough out in coming years....Mcconnel kid broke out on us...impressive and scrappy.

It appeared to me that Kipper had at least three occasions where he had an open lane to the basket and passed it up. Like to see him confident enough to take advantage of those situations. If we get 6-8 pts from him, DaMonte, and Tevian, it certainly gives us more balance. Three of our wins have had very unusual scoring: Tevian, Kipper, and now Giorgi. Not sure whether a good thing or not. Confuses the opponent's scouting but tough to depend upon.

That flop at 0:42. They need to give a technical for that.

I absolutely hate that. If DLR would have swung a fist and punched, that flopper wouldnā€™t have flown as far!

Ridiculous.
I'm not sure exactly where you are talking about because ADR isn't involved at 0:42, maybe his contact at about 0:33? The Rutgers kid goes down in what is not a charge because he was in the restricted area, but there was absolutely contact. But more to the point, it's really dangerous for Illini fans to complain about weak charge calls because we take A LOT of charges, and our players frequently go down from contact that is surely not strong enough to make them fall. It happens every game, usually multiple times. And I don't care, because it works and it's a turnover and a foul on the other team, so good for us.

Govoner Vaugn Fan

New Orleans
Loved it in the postgame presser when GB talked about his immediate family and said about the Illini..." This is my family now "

what a great kid...he is having the time of his life and seems so well grounded to not get a big head about him....

we are seeing the culture that BU has said he wanted at UI materilze right before our eyes...and Higgs seems bought in as well, even with the rough season he has had....I see us having a great foundation already laid and am not too concerned about any defections during the off season and more high quality recruits wanting to experience the rebirth of the Illini tradition...

Speaking of Higgs..... I missed discussion of his injury that kept him out this year...What was the nature of the injury?

Who's next.jpg

we are seeing the culture that BU has said he wanted

Yes, to many of us, myself included, we didn't see the culture part due to proximity. It's really clear though, that we have a special group of guys, and the pieces are coming together on the court. The heart of this team is shining through, and it's bigger than just watching good basketball. I think we're all grateful it's coming together, even if it meant a horrific first season, tons of turnover, and more of a blank slate to start this year. Giorgi is a huge bonus. There are people who go heavily by rankings, and they bemoan "fit" and intangibles as excuses for not getting ranked guys.

Who'd have thought our best players this year would include a guy that 247 ranked way down in the 300s?

I tip my hat to Underwood in the post-game. He really took the attention off Giorgi and put it back on the team. You need a coach who doesn't get too high after wins, or too low after losses. 3 for 3 in this home series is incredible given where we were just a month ago. Underwood must be thrilled privately, but has to keep his coach hat on and stay focused.

Should be interesting to see if these guys can put up a fight on the road. I think we're technically winless on the road, even though Maryland was effectively an away game.