Illinois 99, Rutgers 94 OT POSTGAME

Here are a couple of questions to ponder and discuss...

1. If we hadn't played such a tough pre-conference schedule would this team be where they are now in terms of skill? I'm not talking about record, obviously our record would probably be better if we had feasted on a steady stream of cupcakes, but would the team have improved and would we be beating MSU or winning that incredibly tough game vs. Rutgers if we weren't playing a bunch of P5 teams (plus Gonzaga) in Nov/Dec?

2. Do we need to worry about OA being recruited away either for a HC job at a smaller school or a bigger role at a more high-profile university? With LB and now GB on his resume does he become a hot commodity that we can't retain?
(n)

blackdog

Champaign
I think you described the perfect big for every scheme. Is there some team out there where Giorgi wouldn't do well?

The difference is not many schemes ask their bigs to do that or are even really capable of putting them in so many different positions to take advantage of mismatches.

The difference is not many schemes ask their bigs to do that or are even really capable of putting them in so many different positions to take advantage of mismatches.

I was thinking the same thing.. Upsides and downsides of cupcakes vs. strength of schedule.
With cupcakes we likely make the NIT, but without SOS would development have been as rapid?

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Here are a couple of questions to ponder and discuss...

1. If we hadn't played such a tough pre-conference schedule would this team be where they are now in terms of skill? I'm not talking about record, obviously our record would probably be better if we had feasted on a steady stream of cupcakes, but would the team have improved and would we be beating MSU or winning that incredibly tough game vs. Rutgers if we weren't playing a bunch of P5 teams (plus Gonzaga) in Nov/Dec?

2. Do we need to worry about OA being recruited away either for a HC job at a smaller school or a bigger role at a more high-profile university? With LB and now GB on his resume does he become a hot commodity that we can't retain?

No, and this should be one of the biggest takeaways from this year. BU knew EXACTLY what he was doing. He turned all of that into hunger, tenacity, and teamwork.

The last guy had gimmicks...bracelets, ladders, SEAL days......this guy has a plan.

I’m really interested in how Giorgi’s dominance tonight affects how OSU schemes us defensively. Need to have shots drop if they try to double him in the post.
They are going to go after him with Wesson to get him in foul trouble.

Deleted member 29907

D
They are going to go after him with Wesson to get him in foul trouble.
We're going to need Adonis doing some banging on Wesson. Not sure if we can, but we need to see if we can frustrate him a bit - much like Ward was when pushed off the blocks.

No, and this should be one of the biggest takeaways from this year. BU knew EXACTLY what he was doing. He turned all of that into hunger, tenacity, and teamwork.

The last guy had gimmicks...bracelets, ladders, SEAL days......this guy has a plan.
I believe the schedule was set when "the last guy" was still the coach. Don't think BU had anything to do with the scheduling

illini80

Forgottonia
Great research. Giorgi also has the benefit of there not being an older big worth spit on the roster, so he gets a ton of tick for a freshman. Most other years, he’d be getting eased in as a sub. Props to him, of course, for making the most of his opportunity; what he has accomplished is really remarkable.
Impossible to say, but I wonder how much ADL has helped Giorgi. I would think having a big body and a 5th year guy to go against in practice has to have helped him.

Taylor Bruninga.......no not really, but did hear that a 5th year PF is in the works but of course no names because they have not finished season nor graduated from their current school.

I feel good about our current roster going next year with the addition of Kofi and January. My two biggest concerns are January not making to campus and Higgs not fully recovering until another year. There is always a chance Kofi may be swayed but I feel stronger about his commitment than the past. He is seeing the results of Giorgi and how much the team has improved since December. Samba should be adequate next year to spell Kofi and Giorgi, but possibly the staff has zeroed in on an impact PF to back up Giorgi. I feel next year we will be seeing more of two big men. Kipper (believe he comes back) and Tevian will not be asked to play so much PF unless they go small.

Dan

Admin
Oh really? Our schedule was set before March 2017?
So, tell me all about our 2021 schedule.
Maui was announced in October 2016 (the Groce era).

That, plus being 1 of the 8 teams chosen for the Gavitt Games (vs Georgetown), going on the road in the B1G/ACC Challenge (at ND), & tough early B1G games was out of Illinois' control.

For a new team that hadn't had a chance to fully form, opening with 7 tough games (6 away from home) in their first 9 contests was combination of bad luck (Maui is setup so far in advance), things out of IL's control (Gavitt Games, B1G/ACC Challenge, early B1G games), and questionable decision-making (moving B1G home opener away from home, deciding not to play 3-straight home games in December). But now is not the time to look back, now we have the beginnings of a new era- an era of winning basketball on the court as well as winning decision-making on the scheduling calendar. Go Illini

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Maui was announced in October 2016 (the Groce era).

That, plus being 1 of the 8 teams chosen for the Gavitt Games (vs Georgetown), going on the road in the B1G/ACC Challenge (at ND), & tough early B1G games was out of Illinois' control.

For a new team that hadn't had a chance to fully form, opening with 7 tough games (6 away from home) in their first 9 contests was combination of bad luck (Maui is setup so far in advance), things out of IL's control (Gavitt Games, B1G/ACC Challenge, early B1G games), and questionable decision-making (moving B1G home opener away from home, deciding not to play 3-straight home games in December). But now is not the time to look back, now we have the beginnings of a new era- an era of winning basketball on the court as well as winning decision-making on the scheduling calendar. Go Illini

Welp, I only thought Maui was set that far back. Thanks for the info.

No doubt Giorgi has great footwork but I am really impressed with his soft hands. He catches everything. Something some of our previous big men struggled with.
and, large hands. Kid can pick up a basketball from the floor with either hand.

OA has a fair amount of baggage associated with him. I think he'll have to spend a bit more time as an assistant before anyone wants him as a HC again. It is more possible that someone decides to poach him as an assistant with a huge raise. $350k is a good chunk for an assistant though, and they would need to beat it to get him to move. He was always known for coaching bigs, so these successes aren't exactly changing the perception of his skillset much.

I feel good about our current roster going next year with the addition of Kofi and January. My two biggest concerns are January not making to campus and Higgs not fully recovering until another year. There is always a chance Kofi may be swayed but I feel stronger about his commitment than the past. He is seeing the results of Giorgi and how much the team has improved since December. Samba should be adequate next year to spell Kofi and Giorgi, but possibly the staff has zeroed in on an impact PF to back up Giorgi. I feel next year we will be seeing more of two big men. Kipper (believe he comes back) and Tevian will not be asked to play so much PF unless they go small.
Is there any possibility Samba or Antwan could play the PF? Both seem athletic enough but have no real idea of their skill. Both would probably be better shot blockers than Giorgi or Kofi and would love the possibility of twin towers. Giorgi, Samba, and Kofi are all very different pieces. Not sure where Antwan falls in the group but he certainly looks big and athletic and a high ceiling possibility with a little OA development.

I
Is there any possibility Samba or Antwan could play the PF? Both seem athletic enough but have no real idea of their skill. Both would probably be better shot blockers than Giorgi or Kofi and would love the possibility of twin towers. Giorgi, Samba, and Kofi are all very different pieces. Not sure where Antwan falls in the group but he certainly looks big and athletic and a high ceiling possibility with a little OA development.

I hope so because I think Giorgi is a better fit at the 5.

BU had very little to do with the scheduling. He was really only able to pick the UNLV game (which isn’t too tough of a matchup) and then the cupcakes (which we saw Groce play tougher cupcakes his last couple seasons).

Any coach is going to say yes to Maui. Then there’s Braggin rights and conference battles out of our control.

As far as making us better, who knows? Personally I believe a young team makes the most improvement by competing in practice and games just provide the finishing touch for development.

Maybe if we play an easier schedule we have more wins but the team doesn’t work as hard because they think they’re better than they really are. Or maybe this team couldve stayed hungry despite the success and we could be squarely on the bubble right now. That would’ve been nice.

Really crappy poor sportsmanship, however. Looks like at the end of the clip Giorgi was looking for someone's had to shake. I wonder if it was Omoruyi.
Omoruyi ate an elbow to the mouth from GB a few minutes before, and was probably still hot about that. Add the loss and the emotion of not being able to deliver the win for your coach on the day his mother passed, and I'm giving the kid a pass. But I liked the response; Giorgi put his hands straight up to show he wasn't escalating, while Dre and AJ immediately headed over to let it be known they were ready for any BS.

Deleted member 643761

D
Generally you schedule one year ahead in BB, unless its a home and home with a nonconference p5 team. Last years schedule was on Groce staff. This years is basically on Underwood, except for Hawaii

Remember BU said last year that he wasn't happy with the schedule he inherited and that he wanted tougher competition.

Actually, I believe Underwood probably was mostly responsible for last year's OOC schedule too. we don't have next year's games down yet, for example.

Deleted member 643761

D
OA has a fair amount of baggage associated with him. I think he'll have to spend a bit more time as an assistant before anyone wants him as a HC again. It is more possible that someone decides to poach him as an assistant with a huge raise. $350k is a good chunk for an assistant though, and they would need to beat it to get him to move. He was always known for coaching bigs, so these successes aren't exactly changing the perception of his skillset much.

This is what I was thinking as well. He needs some time distance. I'm sure other top programs would love to steal him as an assistant. Hopefully he's got more of the idea of staying with what he's building here.

How was that "block" by Giorgi at the end of the game on Harper's 'three' not a foul?