Illinois Alumni Team in TBT

haasi

New York
House of Paign has announced three players so far for this summer’s TBT: Hill, Rice, and Egwu.
Here’s the latest, the Rice announcement -

Tournament scheduled for July-August (obviously a question mark) in various sites across country. 64 teams, single elimination, $2m prize winner takes all.

http://thetournament.com/about

If this happens, I’d be excited to see how our guys do. No NBA players allowed, so depending how we fill out the roster, we might be competitive. I’d definitely like to see Bpaul and McCamey join. After that, perhaps some combo of Leron, Richardson, Feliz, AJ, Mav.

haasi

New York
Just occurred to me that all 3 players on the roster so far were on the team in 2014-15, along with soph Nunn and frosh Black. There was some talent there, although we were pretty young and the young guys got much better as time went on. Pretty disappointing that group couldn’t get to the tourney. Would be nice to see them make some noise together.

Anyone know how the coaching will be handled? Who? How the coach is picked, etc.?

Just occurred to me that all 3 players on the roster so far were on the team in 2014-15, along with soph Nunn and frosh Black. There was some talent there, although we were pretty young and the young guys got much better as time went on. Pretty disappointing that group couldn’t get to the tourney. Would be nice to see them make some noise together.

Makes sense on the players that have joined up so far. Looks like LaTulip is the one putting it all together and will be acting as a coach.

http://thetournament.com/teams/house-paign-illinois-alumni

That was the team where the two major conference transfers - Starks (Oregon St) and Cosby (Seton Hall) - came in and couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn with a basketball. They both looked like they forgot how to shoot during their year off. Had been double digit scorers at their old schools and couldn’t do anything at Illinois.

Also some personality conflicts... Rice and Cosby got into a fight. Cosby got suspended. Actually, players not able to keep their hands to themselves was a pretty persistent problem under Groce.

Great article about Rice looking forward to TBT and back on his time as an Illini.

Loved him on Illini and it looks like he’s developing more as a PG and is doing great overseas but still thinking of pursuing NBA. Awesome Champaign product, super athlete, competitive and fun to watch.

https://247sports.com/college/illin...T-still-chasing-professional-dream-146659180/
Reading this article.....makes me wonder what would have been if we passed on Richmond and took Rice in 2010....I always thought there was an unspoken shooter's ego conflict between RR and MH....obviously I was mistaken. Great to hear they are regrouping. This tournament should be very fun to watch.

Last edited:

Soulberries

University of Illinois

Why are you all liking this? He’s not playing for Illinois. Last year we didn’t have a team, so ok. But now that we do, he’s playing once again for OHOWIHATEOHIOSTATE??
5EFE884F-3EC8-437E-A5D9-8CEA93F77B76.jpeg

Last edited:
Why are you all liking this? He’s not playing for Illinois. Last year we didn’t have a team, so ok. But now that we do, he’s playing once again for OHOWIHATEOHIOSTATE?? View attachment 6012

It’s not much comfort to me, but I liked that in his brief video he only mentioned repeating and making money as reasons for joining them. I respect both of those goals. I’d be more upset if talked about camaraderie, friendship, loyalty or some other reason to justify playing for them.

Still, he would’ve been a great addition.