Illinois Alumni Team in TBT

haasi

New York
Feliz, Rice, Hill, Black, Finke, Egwu. Not bad.
Looks like rosters are minimum 7 and if you go over 9 you have to pay an additional $1000 per player. https://www.thetournament.com/rules

So I’d expect 7-9 on roster, which means 1-3 more. On my request list: BP3, DJ, AJ. Would love to get Mike Davis, but seems unlikely based on his era with us getting MLT teammates only and mccamey playing for OSU

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Feliz, Rice, Hill, Black, Finke, Egwu. Not bad.
Looks like rosters are minimum 7 and if you go over 9 you have to pay an additional $1000 per player. https://www.thetournament.com/rules

So I’d expect 7-9 on roster, which means 1-3 more. On my request list: BP3, DJ, AJ. Would love to get Mike Davis, but seems unlikely based on his era with us getting MLT teammates only and mccamey playing for OSU
After a quick look, is Davis still bouncing around in the G-League?

haasi

New York
Just listened to La Tulip interview on Tay Piper podcast. Good listen. Link here-
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...-tay-derek-piper/id1475818212?i=1000474614724

We can expect 9 on roster. He’s very focused on adding shooting with the remaining spots. Player 7 will definitely be a former Illini but 8 and 9 haven’t been decided and may be non Illini. Requirement for alumni team is 7 players from a school. He won’t decide the final two spots until after euro league announces what it’s doing on May 24.

Says they’re aiming to win tourney and confident. original plan was to have training camp at Ubben open to public but because of restrictions that’s probably not going to happen.

He clarified that McCamey made up his mind to rejoin OSU team in January before MLT formed the Illini team, but they’d love to get him in future years. He said no hard feelings because it wasn’t a snub but would look forward a matchup against OSU if it happens.

Based on the shooting comment, I’d expect player 7 to be a former Illini who is a proven shooter. My guess is AJ or Richardson. BP would be a tremendous pull. He’s in EuroLeague so it sounds like his availability won’t be known until 5/24, so maybe he’d be player 8 or 9 if he’s available and wants to join. Cory Bradford btw is miraculously still playing at 41. His twitter tag is “riding till the wheels fall off. go Illini” LOL. So I guess it’s conceivable he’s want to play although I imagine it’s unlikely given 41 year old legs.

haasi

New York
That’s seven former Illini (hill, egwu, rice, black, Feliz, finke, Bradford) satisfying the 7 alumni minimum so the last two spots are open to anyone. BP3 and DJ Richardson would be a perfect way to close this out.

We are just one Hacksaw away from perfection.

nick_smith.jpg

haasi

New York
TBT to proceed in late July in location TBD. 24 teams down from 64. Two week quarantine period for players before tourney. If any player tests positive, team is DQ’d.

Exciting! If I could get as excited as I did to watch Tom Brady play golf, I’m pretty sure I can get up for this.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...nament-aided-health-safety-plan-set-late-july

It doesnt say it but I am assuming no fans allowed?

haasi

New York
Correct. No spectators. All teams will be in quarantine. As teams get eliminated they go home.

Side point - One thing I don’t get is how they’d do single elimination with 24 teams, which is what people are saying it is now. Either it’s not totally single elimination or they’re giving 8 teams a bye, which seems completely unfair. So my guess is somewhere along the way, it’s not going to be true single elimination.

It doesnt say it but I am assuming no fans allowed?

Correct. No spectators. All teams will be in quarantine. As teams get eliminated they go home.

Side point - One thing I don’t get is how they’d do single elimination with 24 teams, which is what people are saying it is now. Either it’s not totally single elimination or they’re giving 8 teams a bye, which seems completely unfair. So my guess is somewhere along the way, it’s not going to be true single elimination.

Seems like it's going to have to start out with group play like champions league soccer or college baseball. Something like 6 groups of 4 and the top 2 teams in each group move on plus 4 wild card teams to make it 16.

8 highest ranked returning teams get bye? They state single elimination so assume it will be untill TBT states otherwise IMO. If offered a tv contract wanting more games possible changes to pool play but appears Single elim. https://www.printyourbrackets.com/24teamsingleelimination.html. 5 games rather than 4 and if a team is truly capable of winning might actually be an advantage for 2nd game getting chemistry, rotation setup, familiarity with court and knocking off a little rust. Just IMHO waiting for some hops or ball of any sort.

That’s seven former Illini (hill, egwu, rice, black, Feliz, finke, Bradford) satisfying the 7 alumni minimum so the last two spots are open to anyone. BP3 and DJ Richardson would be a perfect way to close this out.
9 alumni is better than 7...yessuh !!! I.L.L...

In my opinion, this is just dumb. First Meechie is staying with OSU, and now this? Laughable.
Reports are he already committed to coming back to the OSU team before the Illinois team was created. Mooney is a great addition regardless of college affiliation. He played in the NBA last year--something no one else on the team can claim (though on arguably the least talented team, and very sparingly). His talent level is at least on par with the rest of the team.