Illinois Alumni Team in TBT

My feelings toward BP: love the guy, absolutely awesome Illini. Wish he had played for us this tourney. wish him all the luck In his career. would welcome him next year and or any future year without a second of hesitation.
Yeah, I keep thinking...if/when Paign loses, the tune will change to ‘only if we had BP, next year we need him’.
I hope it’s only select fans. Why so bitter for Some of the only good seasons in the last decade?

2nd place in TBT gets just as much prize money as 24th place. Maybe it will sting BP3 in the end, but probably not. It would have been more fun if he had been in Orange, but since he gave all 4 years of his college eligibility to the Illini, I'll always be a fan. The second time expires on the House of Paign, no one will care who he played for anymore.

ILLINI IN NE

Omaha,Ne.
Paul turned down an offer from House of Paign to join Team Hines, who advanced to the semifinals last year.

“I basically approached it from a business standpoint,” Paul said. “I would love to play for an Illinois alum team, but unfortunately… I told myself I would only play for a team that I thought would give myself the best chance to win.”

Glad he's not making MY business decisions.

I like BP but you don't take sides against the family.

illiniCA

DC Area
If you are going to make a comment like his that basically tells your fellow alums they aren’t good enough to win, you should be prepared for blow back.

It's TBT. It is cool Illinois has an alum team and I will root for them... but honestly who cares if mccamey and BP3 play for other teams.

drsmitty74

Rochester
I
I've never once said I don't like BP3. I have made two posts. First was simply stating I didn't wish he or DMc luck in TBT since they were not playing for us. But I also posted that BP3s comment was a bit of a slap. he didnt want to play for us because he made a business decision to play for another team that he thought gave him a better shot. I then said, glad hes not make my business decisions. I'm glad his team lost. doesnt mean I'm less of an Illini fan. But if it was HOP vs his team, I'm hoping Feliz shuts his !!! down, then tells him he picked the wrong day to not be a part of HOP.

sacraig

The desert

BP3WINNER.gif

I am just glad we haven't had to rely on any miracle shots to win games that barely crack 100 total points recently.

I think it's a bit silly for people to create this narrative that fans are upset that BP3 isn't playing for House of 'Paign. BP3 isn't the only Alum who is playing for another team, but he's the only one who said he isn't playing for House of 'Paign because he made the best decision for him to win. An unnecessary slap in the face. Love the guy, and I support anyone who puts on the O&B. But a stupid comment is a stupid comment.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Are there any other B1G teams who have had big time alumni jump ship to other B1G teams?

McCamey is at least understandable because we didn't have a team last year and they're defending champions this season. Paul's comments were a bit of a slap in the face.

Krombopulos_Michael

Aurora, Illinois (that’s a suburb of Chicago)
I think it's a bit silly for people to create this narrative that fans are upset that BP3 isn't playing for House of 'Paign. BP3 isn't the only Alum who is playing for another team, but he's the only one who said he isn't playing for House of 'Paign because he made the best decision for him to win. An unnecessary slap in the face. Love the guy, and I support anyone who puts on the O&B. But a stupid comment is a stupid comment.
My thought exactly. Comment of course rubs some people the wrong way, but it needs to be stressed: his comment that some of us were annoyed by should in no way diminish what he did during his time in the O&B. He was a great player.

That's just stupid. BP3 was a great player for Illinois. I'd cheer for him no matter what team he was on, unless he playing against House of 'Paign. And, even then, I'd want him to have a great game in a losing effort.

Agreed. Twitter one again shows it's a bad idea. Have some common sense, BP3 fought 4 years for us and this is some sideshow hoops anyway.

so what should have BP said when he was publicly asked "Why did you pick Team Hines over House of Paign?"

I would rather he tell us the truth than offer some fluff excuse to appease fans looking to be disrespected.

Agreed. For BP it was a business decision. He made a call and owned it. I respect him more for having done so.

If I offered you the choice of lottery ticket A, which has a 1/50 chance of winning and pays 150k, or lottery ticket B which has a 1/30 chance of winning and pays 150k, which would you take? The majority of the time both pay zero. How close do the odds need to be before "for fun" aspects make the decision? [I don't know the actual odds for either team.]

Kind of ironic that before the game Saturday they had a special on the Decision....Lebron leaving Cleveland to "win" at Miami. And Lebron eventually went back home and got Cavs their first championship,...but alot of James jerseys were burned in mean time.

Sooo.... Maybe that's the BP journey with this TBT event... he comes back to Paign in the coming years and wins a TBT championship with his "family".

Regardless....Much love to BP and I have a feeling he will be pulling for his old teammates the rest of the tournament.