Illinois Alumni Team in TBT

I read an article after the game, can't remember where, but LaTulip decided to move away from the structured plays in the 1st game and concentrate on finding mismatches in the 2nd. I thought they looked better in the first game. It's weird that the 1 seed would have more weaknesses to exploit than the 17th seed, but obviously it worked. In another article, Hill was saying to give the ball to Vinales for the last play because of a mismatch.

Craft said of Feliz, " “I loved it,” Craft said of the match-up with Feliz. “I told him I liked his game. I hope that’s what it kind of feels like to play against me with just constantly being aggressive and back cutting and being around the ball. I let him know that and I hope the best for him. I hope he gets a good opportunity in his first year as a professional. He was fun to play against.” (https://247sports.com/college/ohio-...ent-title-ends-quickly-Aaron-Craft-148952439/)

The mismatch was deibler. They were just able to work him out of different positions.

Billy Garrett has been tough to watch on offense, but he had some solid defensive plays in the 3rd.

The mismatch was deibler. They were just able to work him out of different positions.

Billy Garrett has been tough to watch on offense, but he had some solid defensive plays in the 3rd.
If he was just just setting people up and playing D, it wouldn't be a problem, but I think he's 3rd on the team in shots, and he's shooting 16 or 17%. He played a few games for the Knicks. He must have been better than he's showing.

I would think Popovich would love to get his hands on Feliz and Daum, they seem like his type of players. How awesome would that be

I can't say enough about how well Feliz is playing in this tournament. Daum is a stud and was incredibly efficient. I give him the MVP so far but Feliz is not too far behind. He really gave Craft fits. For all the Craft haters (myself included), he was pretty complimentary of Feliz' game. I love the quick put back shot that was posted. For all of us that played.... I was a pretty deadly shooter but mostly when I had time to set my feet and look at the basket. I seldom practiced close in shots and would not be able to get a flat-footed shot up so quickly with a big in my face. He has AMAZING spatial perception and court awareness. This was a great win and I hope Feliz reaps huge rewards from this tournament in the form of a pro contract. I hope Daum makes it to the NBA...I really like his game!

Last edited:
I would take an A Craft in his college prime every single year on Illinois. don't recall him being a jerk On the court, just a pest in a complimentary way.
Would agree...players respect players who play hard-nosed, but coaches love 'em and so do their teammates and home fans.. Illini fans worshiped Lucas Johnson.

I'm not familiar with him outside of this tournament - but he has clearly been the weak link on offense. I hope he figures it out or the team adjusts.

Anyone know why Black isn't playing much? I expected his style to play well in a loose tournament like this.
Black looks very out of shape and happens to play the same position as the Dauminator.

Seeing Dre outplay these guys makes our team performance and BIG play even more impressive. These guys are all professionals but Ayo and Co. would have destroyed them imo.

I'm not familiar with him outside of this tournament - but he has clearly been the weak link on offense. I hope he figures it out or the team adjusts.

Anyone know why Black isn't playing much? I expected his style to play well in a loose tournament like this.

Black looks to be out of basketball shape. Coach Sullinger was clearly yelling for his players to attack Black and go to the hoop. He was saying something like "Every time! 12 can't play no defense" to encourage his squad to take Black one on one when they were on offense.

haasi

New York
I was thinking the same thing. Quality of play seems to be below NCAA tourney level, although the gross individual talent level on good teams is often higher.

With this tourney, you get more experienced pros, but teams don’t play or practice together much or have the structure and coaching of D1 programs. Also some guys show up out of shape. Props to MLT for turning this into a real team- no easy feat.

Seeing Dre outplay these guys makes our team performance and BIG play even more impressive. These guys are all professionals but Ayo and Co. would have destroyed them imo.

I was thinking the same thing. Quality of play seems to be below NCAA tourney level, although the gross individual talent level on good teams is often higher.

With this tourney, you get more experienced pros, but teams don’t play or practice together much or have the structure and coaching of D1 programs. Also some guys show up out of shape. Props to MLT for turning this into a real team- no easy feat.

I also think it helps that Dre and Daum are younger and vying for contracts. Carmen's team looked like players outside of Lighty on their last run. Lighty, to my surprise at 32 was better than anyone on that team. I have not the rest of the tourney, but would not be surprised if Daum has been the best player in the tourney.

Either way, it has been fun to watch this for sure. Hope they can pull this off, get Dre a nice contract somewhere, get Daum a sniff at the NBA, and Hill an increased contract somewhere. It would also be nice to get some of these players a nice $120,000 lump sum.

ILLINI IN NE

Omaha,Ne.
Black looks to be out of basketball shape. Coach Sullinger was clearly yelling for his players to attack Black and go to the hoop. He was saying something like "Every time! 12 can't play no defense" to encourage his squad to take Black one on one when they were on offense.

I heard someone say take it to 12 early in the game right after Black came in and got beat on a Lighty drive, I don't know who said it but 12 is Leron.
He has the extra pounds Malcolm lost.

Leron has always been a guy I have pulled for since watching him play at the Bass Pro T of C in high school. However, he is carrying too many extra lbs. and out of shape so playing time is reflected...which should be expected. But they need all players so he needs to give his all and seems to be doing just that. Gotta be hard for a guy who was always a star player to sit and watch most of the game.

The possibility to see Cory Bradford play was intriguing for all of us, but who knows what he would have brought to the table and likely a godsend that Vinales was added instead. Everyone seems to be having their moments but Daum, Feliz, Hill, Vinales, and Egwu are certainly the heart of the team and have played well. Vinales stepped up against Carmen's and was the difference. Who knows....maybe Garrett will get hot when needed most? You can take one guy away, but if all the players on the floor can score, you will get beat and these guys will bring the Paign if you try. I don't see Daum playing in this event ever again, but? MLT just may have caught lightning in a bottle.

The guy I really wanted, Luke Sikma, went back to play in the German League tournament & his team actually won the whole thing. He would have been great on our team- maybe next year!

I can't say enough about how well Feliz is playing in this tournament. Daum is a stud and was incredibly efficient. I give him the MVP so far but Feliz is not too far behind. He really gave Craft fits. For all the Craft haters (myself included), he was pretty complimentary of Feliz' game. I love the quick put back shot that was posted. For all of us that played.... I was a pretty deadly shooter but mostly when I had time to set my feet and look at the basket. I seldom practiced close in shots and would not be able to get a flat-footed shot up so quickly with a big in my face. He has AMAZING spatial perception and court awareness. This was a great win and I hope Feliz reaps huge rewards from this tournament in the form of a pro contract. I hope Daum makes it to the NBA...I really like his game!
.493 career: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/efrem-winters-1.html