Illinois at USF (Friday, September 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance Irma impacts our game in Tampa next week?

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Looks to be tracking on the other coast at this point.

Irma is big and strong enough that she could do significant damage across the entire state. Remember it's a Cat 5+ storm. A structure such as a stadium should be capable of withstanding a pretty strong blow (so to speak) but we won't know until Monday.

Illinichaz

Chicago Loop
Illinois at USF

South Florida v. UConn game has been cancelled now. Small path shift west toward Tampa in Irma forecast. Could affect us Week 3?

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
South Florida v. UConn game has been cancelled now. Small path shift west toward Tampa in Irma forecast. Could affect us Week 3?

At this point, I would be very surprised if they'll be able to play a game down there.

chief78

Florida
At this point, I would be very surprised if they'll be able to play a game down there.

Well, you will know fairly soon, we should be dealing with Irma starting Saturday :eek:.........stay tuned

If necessary, Illinois should graciously offer to host the game. Hopefully, someone with a better grasp of the logistics will work out how to seat ticket holders for the game in Tampa and handle any other messy details.

Dan

Admin
If (still a big if) the game can't be played, how about this for a solution: Illinois & UConn each have openings in Week 4, the Huskies would also be in need of a 12th game due to a cancelled USF game.

Last edited:
Possible Switch?

Could there be the possibility of Illinois and South Forida switching away-and home games for this year and next year? Have USF come to Champaign this year and then Illinois to them next year?

Dan

Admin
Could there be the possibility of Illinois and South Forida switching away-and home games for this year and next year? Have USF come to Champaign this year and then Illinois to them next year?
2018 game, originally scheduled for Champaign, was moved to Chicago (Soldier Field) by AD Whitman..doubt Illinois would be open to changing that game.

FT35

Naperville
If (still a big if) the game can't be played, how about this for a solution: Illinois & UConn each have openings in Week 4, the Huskies would also be in need of a 12th game due to a cancelled USF game.

I didn't realize that these games would be canceled as opposed to postponed. I just imagined that these games would be postponed.

Is there any precedent to two teams like UCONN and Illinois randomly matching up during BYE weeks? I'd imagine that'd be complicated for a number of reasons.

Ordinarily I would expect if the game needs to be cancelled, USF would consider switching to Champaign. You would expect to switch 2017 for 2018, but as Dan wrote, not likely since that game is at Soldier Field.

So USF needs to determine if giving up the home game is better than no game.

Of course the bigger issue is the safety and welfare of all involved. This game is not even secondary to the health, safety and well being of those affected.

Hope people stay safe

Would be really cool if they turned it into a fundraiser for victims of the hurricane.

Of course the bigger issue is the safety and welfare of all involved. This game is not even secondary to the health, safety and well being of those affected.

Hope people stay safe

Regardless of how hard this storm impacts USF, I think the larger picture is what you've said above. You've gotta imagine quite a few players will have families severely affected by the storm from the USF team (not to mention our own). Even if USF and the greater Tampa area doesn't receive any major issues, you've gotta imagine this storm affects much more than just the Eastern and Southern parts of Florida. I doubt many CFB games get played there in the next fortnight.

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
I'm headed down for the Illinois game on Friday night and the Bears/Bucs game on that Sunday. Still hoping the hurricane spares the Tampa area and its residents --- and that all sporting events remain on schedule.

Can't confirm, but hearing it may in fact get moved to Champaign next weekend, and would be a Friday night game. Again, just chatter at this point.

chief78

Florida
Latest track of Irma not looking good for Tampa. Of course this can change again in a matter of hours.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I'm headed down for the Illinois game on Friday night and the Bears/Bucs game on that Sunday. Still hoping the hurricane spares the Tampa area and its residents --- and that all sporting events remain on schedule.

Sounds like a great weekend! I hope for many reasons that the state of Florida, etc, fairs better than expected.

JDHalfrack

Springfield, IL
A few questions:

a) where are you guys getting this from? The main stuff I'm reading about this is coming form USF fans, and they aren't really quoting their sources either.

b) if this DOES happen, how would tickets work? I have season tickets (don't know why....), but I'm assuming they would sell tickets. I'd totally be down for buying tickets to the game on Friday. How would that go about? Even if you're just speculating, what makes sense?

c) I doubt this has any implication on the Soldier Field game. At this point, it's basically either play the game as scheduled in Tampa (probably unlikely), cancel it without make up, or move it. If it's a money thing, they'll move it wherever they think they can at least recover some of the lost revenue I would imagine.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Any hep on my questions would be greatly appreciated!

My dad and I were going to go to Tampa for the game and we already have tickets, I assume those would be honored at MS if the game does in fact get moved?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

KJKobs

Chicago, IL
My dad and I were going to go to Tampa for the game and we already have tickets, I assume those would be honored at MS if the game does in fact get moved?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I would assume any tickets bought for the game down in Tampa would be refunded and there would be a brand new ticket sale for a Champaign game.

When we arrived down in Champaign to tailgate this morning, the parking lot attendants were telling everyone to "keep checking their email about the USF game possibly being played here at Memorial Stadium next Friday"

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I'm assuming these game contracts have stipulations on what to do if a game isn't playable due to natural disasters, or is that a wrong assumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.