Pregame: Illinois at Wisconsin, Monday, February 18th, 7:00pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an observation on my part.

In the first game, WI did not play bad, we made them play badly.

I think, of course assuming we play well, we will make them look even worse. And, we are playing FAR better than when we met them a couple of weeks ago.

In the first game, we lost at the tail end when we did not shoot well.

I hope you are right. Here are my concerns.

1. Happ was in foul trouble. If he is not in foul trouble this game, he is a force that we didn't contend with.
2. Every team that plays Wisconsin makes Wisconsin look bad. But they also look bad. It is part of Wisconsin's game. I am biased by remembering Wisconsin final four team from 1999-2000, where they held eventual champs michigan state to 53 points. Every Wisconsin tournament game has been painful to watch, I can remember games that struggled to get into the 40s. Lots of missed shots, lots of slow boring games. That is Wisconsin basketball
3. Despite everything, we were getting crushed by Wisconsin for most of the game. This is the only bright spot. Hopefully, the way we finished sets us up to know how to play them better.

Ultimately I agree with RML. I think we can win every game on our schedule. But, I think this is the toughest win.

@ Wisconsin, @PU, @PSU, Home NU, Home PSU, Home IU.

I know 6-0 would be the dream scenario. However, finish 4-2, 14-17, 10-10 in the conference and I would have to think we've gotta get in the NIT discussion with our wins in conference and how we're playing down the stretch, not to mention any additional wins we could add in the BIG tourney.

My scenario for the next six: Just keep getting better.
My post season scenario: Just win.

illiniswish09

Northwest Suburbs
I’m curious as to how Brad uses De La Rosa tonight. I wouldn’t be against him using up all of his 5 fouls forcing Happ to the free throw line on certain possessions. Something to watch.

Unfortunately, Illini did that last time and still lost...

1) Stealth mode. For details please listen to BU's preview.
2) We reaaaaaly did not play badly in that game. We just did not do a couple of things per our advertisements. That too at the tail end

Anyways, we come in peace.

I’m curious as to how Brad uses De La Rosa tonight. I wouldn’t be against him using up all of his 5 fouls forcing Happ to the free throw line on certain possessions. Something to watch.

Last time in C/U, ADLR only played 7 minutes and had 1 foul. That game was ours for the taking, it was tied at the 9;00 to go point.

Deleted member 29907

D
Last time in C/U, ADLR only played 7 minutes and had 1 foul. That game was ours for the taking, it was tied at the 9;00 to go point.
ADLR is a better fit against a banger. Happ is a faker and pivoter (tor?) Which, until Giorgi, caused huge problems for us. They will no doubt try to get Giorgi in foul trouble. Last time i think we used AJ and Kipper to spell Giorgi - AJ is probably the best since he can bang and stay with him better. He just gives up the size - so he'd have to keep him from getting too close to the basket (or the double will have to do that).

No team wins very many games shooting 35.5 percent and 19% from 3. If we shoot a decent percentage I think we will be competitive. Happ's numbers above are rather impressive.

Wiscon Illinois Game Summary.jpg

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
It's a simple recipe.

Same defense, make 70+% of your FT's....it's a W.

Hopefully they won't shoot light's out again. Happ will get his tonight. Just keep torturing the guards.

If Giorgi happens to hold Happ down again tonight and has another ~13/7/4 night on the road in the B1G....he is at least in the FOY conversation. Think about that for a hot second.

I'm not working and have no juju for tonight. Sorry.

And please, no saying "hack-a-Happ." "Slap-a-Happ" is so much better on the ear.

sacraig

The desert
Leaders Illinois. Wisconsin
Points. T. Frazier 14.7. E. Happ 18.4
ReboundsG. Bezhanishvili 5.0. E. Happ 10.5
AssistsA. Dosunmu 3.2. E. Happ 4.8

Sorry for the formatting. But, you get the picture. Contain E. Happ and also makes some shots.

Il 70
Wi 65

Fixed it for you. We contained Happ last time and then proceeded to brick everything, so we lost.

This is the game that will absolutely prove BU's coaching acumen. Was not surprised by the win at OSU as I think we are a better team. Whisky however, has owned us and don't have more talent but have a lot more experience. Will be surprised and elated by a win there or at PU. A win either place is huge but two wins will make up for the miserable start to this season and last. Time for "We will win".

I think the idea that any single game will prove a coach's acumen is silly at best. The first indicator is whether we can reliably win more conference games than we lose. That would make him a pretty good coach (and we haven't done that reliably in a while and not at all since '09-'10). The next step is winning significantly more conference games than we lose, and then he's a great coach. Basing this on one game is goofy.

Wasn’t that to win like 3 of 5 there, too?

Yes. Once upon a time, I believe we were the only Big Ten team not named Wisconsin with a winning record at Kohl Center, if my memory serves me.

jrod1286

Pat Chambers
Illinois
Line is down to -9.5. Assuming Vegas saw the suits or got on this message board.

Line is down to -9.5. Assuming Vegas saw the suits or got on this message board.

I still maintain that it's our large fan base ... as soon as we have even semi-brighter times, have you ever noticed how many U of I grads or Illinoisans come out of the wood work?? I remember reading once that even when our football attendance is awful, we are still a very decent TV draw (and we're a very good one when we're good).

Westgate had it open at 11 and it moved 9.5 pretty quick. Now its back to 10. Juice hasn't changed. I would say this has to do with the public trying to ride a hot team at the start and the Sharks taking the favorite at 9.5. I am a broke gambler so what do I know.

Westgate had it open at 11 and it moved 9.5 pretty quick. Now its back to 10. Juice hasn't changed. I would say this has to do with the public trying to ride a hot team at the start and the Sharks taking the favorite at 9.5. I am a broke gambler so what do I know.

I used to do pretty well during the football season. By the end of the basketball season I had usually lost it all, and that was just betting on Big 10 games. Basketball is more emotional, crowd plays a more significant role, and missing free throws at the close of the game once the favorite had got the spread covered, makes betting more challenging.. Normally, I would take the Illini and the points. That Wisconsin 2 consecutive loses and a home loss, would be a concern.

I used to do pretty well during the football season. By the end of the basketball season I had usually lost it all, and that was just betting on Big 10 games. Basketball is more emotional, crowd plays a more significant role, and missing free throws at the close of the game once the favorite had got the spread covered, makes betting more challenging.. Normally, I would take the Illini and the points. That Wisconsin 2 consecutive loses and a home loss, would be a concern.

I refuse to bet college ever since the rule changes a few years back. Puts the game into the refs hands too much. I will stick to the NBA or if I get really desperate the WNBA to get my basketball fix.

I am very nervous about this game. I felt much better going into the Ohio State and MSU game. Need to get Happ in Foul trouble again. Hopefully early too.

Happ and the team are locked in. They don’t want to drop a 3rd game in a row. Emphasis was made to not be the team to have the streak broken. Happ will be locked in for sure.

eMitch

Quincy, IL
Happ and the team are locked in. They don’t want to drop a 3rd game in a row. Emphasis was made to not be the team to have the streak broken. Happ will be locked in for sure.
Or maybe a little too locked in, playing tight and scared.

Michigan St. didn't want to either, let's hope we're in the same place focus wise, and I know road game, but breaking out the cool aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.