Pregame: Illinois at Wisconsin, Monday, February 18th, 7:00pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

haasi

New York
Wisconsin has won the last 14 matchups going back to 2011. Last win at Kohl: March 2010

We completely dominated them in Champaign. Happ was terrible, we forced turnovers, we forced them to commit silly fouls, we got great shots....but we just couldn’t get the ball in the basket.

We completely dominated them, and we lost by twelve. I am still trying to wrap my head around how that is possible, but it happened. We've got to actually win one against them someday, don't we?

When was the last time we won four games in a row in the BIG?

Deleted member 643761

D
I still feel lije we're going to see an out of this world game yet this season from aj and kipper. Hopefully they do it against wiscy and purdue

We're going to beat the Badgers again eventually ... why the heck not now? We will for sure be dogs, but this team is playing inspired. My head says we "come back down to Earth" and lose a close one due to some home cooking, but ... I don't know, I am really starting to believe. This team isn't just on a win streak - we have had those plenty of times during the Groce and post-Dee Weber years - they are playing like a GOOD basketball team with a complete, well-rounded effort. If we keep it up, there just simply isn't any reason that we can't beat Wisconsin.

Illinois 68
Wisconsin 64

The goal at this point for this season needs to be to continue to improve and stay hot (regardless of wins and losses), pack the UC with orange and then see what happens at the BTT.

Updated standings after last night:

Michigan (11-3)
Michigan State (11-3)
Purdue (10-3)

Maryland (10-4)

Wisconsin (9-5)
Iowa (8-5)

Ohio State (6-7)

Illinois (6-8)
Minnesota (6-8)

Rutgers (5-9)
Indiana (4-9)

Nebraska (4-10)
Northwestern (3-10)

Penn State (2-11)

There are no B1G games tonight, but there are quite a few tomorrow:

#24 Maryland at #6 Michigan
Indiana at Minnesota
Penn State at #12 Purdue
#21 Iowa at Rutgers
Northwestern at Nebraska

Also, I just plugged in my predictions for the remainder of the season (including our unfortunate losses at Wisconsin and Purdue but wins everywhere else!), and this is what I got for BTT seeds:

1. Purdue
2. Michigan State
3. Michigan
4. Wisconsin
5. Iowa
6. Maryland
7. Illinois
8. Ohio State
9. Minnesota
10. Rutgers
11. Nebraska
12. Indiana
13. Northwestern
14. Penn State

That would make this our path in the BTT:

vs. (10) Rutgers on Thursday
vs. (2) Michigan State on Friday
vs. presumably (3) Michigan or (6) Maryland on Saturday
vs. presumably (1) Purdue, (4) Wisconsin or (5) Iowa on Sunday

If literally ANYONE else could help us out with some early upsets ... shoot, guys, we could do this!! NEED orange in the UC, go if you can! I'll be there.

I have a feeling the Illini are going to have to win ugly in this game. If they hit their FTs, I see the good guys heading home to Champaign with a 64-60 win in their pocket.

Moved up from from NET 94 to 80. FAU no longer a Q4 loss due to them moving up to 155.

Also, worth noting that by the end of the year half of our games played are projected to be Q1.

It’s gonna b 5 on 8, it always is at Kohl, the bench is gonna have to play big

Moved up from from NET 94 to 80. FAU no longer a Q4 loss due to them moving up to 155.

Also, worth noting that by the end of the year half of our games played are projected to be Q1.

I read somewhere that the most losses ever for an at-large bid was 14 games. We're sitting at 10-15. So while I think we need to keep fighting to get better, and these games absolutely matter, the only entry to the dance is going to be winning the BTT. NIT is another story, as we should be able to get an at-large there.

Haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this was already discussed.

Well that's a splash of icy water

Yeah, looks like the last time we had at least a four-game win streak in the Big Ten before that was 2015 (vs. PSU, vs. RU, at MSU, vs. UM), then 2013 in Groce's first year with five (vs. #1 IU, at #18 Minn., vs. PU, at NU, vs. PSU).

If we managed to win at Wisconsin and then presumably took care of Penn State at home, that would be our longest win streak in the Big Ten since ... 2005. o_O

I just don’t see our boys winning this game. I remember after we lost our fifth straight to the badgers i thought the streak will definitely end.
Here we are, 14 straight losses later.
There’s just something about Wisconsin’s system that always completely shuts down ours, even when Happ is having an off night.
If we somehow do win, i’ll be floored; but will still resent that we weren’t beating Bo Ryan.

I hope they show up again in coat and tie, and wear "Fighting Illini" jerseys. Every Girl's Crazy 'Bout a Sharp Dressed Man

I think they can do this. Every game is going to look "dirty." These are the #HavocIllini. Nobody wants to play us. I heard it on the B1G Show last night. You can't prep for this team. You can't take us out of our game because our game it taking you out of yours, and if you change your game to play our game...we've taken you out of your game. And we play our game better than you do.

You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

A very unlikely hypothetical that they win out, but they do I think they’re in. I think this Wisconsin game, in Madison, is the toughest game remaining. So, crazy to say it, but I agree with you.

Looking at the NET ratings. Florida at 12-11 was 42 with no victories against ranked teams and only 2 road victories. If illini win out I don’t think its far-fetched to see them end with a NET in 30s or 40s, coupled with a 12-8 conf record, and winning 14 of 15. I think they’re in easily at that point.

So, yeah, beat Wisconsin and it may even be possible with a loss at Purdue. Crazy.
winning out is unlikely. however, we should be favored at home against IU, NW, Penn State. That’s 3-3, steal a road win @PSU is going to be tough but we should win that game. Like I said, win this game and I like our chances in 4 of our last 5, win two in the BTT and we are sweating it out on selection sunday.

I'll be at this game again. Hoping we get revenge for last year's game in Madison and put an end to this streak! If we don't end it and break our current winning streak you can all blame me.

I read somewhere that the most losses ever for an at-large bid was 14 games. We're sitting at 10-15. So while I think we need to keep fighting to get better, and these games absolutely matter, the only entry to the dance is going to be winning the BTT. NIT is another story, as we should be able to get an at-large there.

You haven’t missed anything, at least in this thread. Its just playing with the hypothetical that in the unlikely chance the Illini win out it will be interesting dillema for the comittee.

They supposedly adopted NET to encourage teams to schedule difficult away games and award mid-majors for non-com road wins.

Theres a chance that if they win out, and Xavier, FAU, and Georegtown (who benefit from Illini winning) don’t stumble, then the Illini could have great resume minus their overall record.

At this point its just something fun to think about, but becomes more realistic with a W in Monday.

winning out is unlikely. however, we should be favored at home against IU, NW, Penn State. That’s 3-3, steal a road win @PSU is going to be tough but we should win that game. Like I said, win this game and I like our chances in 4 of our last 5, win two in the BTT and we are sweating it out on selection sunday.

I think we have a good shot @Purdue by limiting Edwards.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Updated standings after last night:

Michigan (11-3)
Michigan State (11-3)
Purdue (10-3)

Maryland (10-4)

Wisconsin (9-5)
Iowa (8-5)

Ohio State (6-7)

Illinois (6-8)
Minnesota (6-8)

Rutgers (5-9)
Indiana (4-9)

Nebraska (4-10)
Northwestern (3-10)

Penn State (2-11)

There are no B1G games tonight, but there are quite a few tomorrow:

#24 Maryland at #6 Michigan
Indiana at Minnesota
Penn State at #12 Purdue
#21 Iowa at Rutgers
Northwestern at Nebraska

Also, I just plugged in my predictions for the remainder of the season (including our unfortunate losses at Wisconsin and Purdue but wins everywhere else!), and this is what I got for BTT seeds:

1. Purdue
2. Michigan State
3. Michigan
4. Wisconsin
5. Iowa
6. Maryland
7. Illinois
8. Ohio State
9. Minnesota
10. Rutgers
11. Nebraska
12. Indiana
13. Northwestern
14. Penn State

That would make this our path in the BTT:

vs. (10) Rutgers on Thursday
vs. (2) Michigan State on Friday
vs. presumably (3) Michigan or (6) Maryland on Saturday
vs. presumably (1) Purdue, (4) Wisconsin or (5) Iowa on Sunday

If literally ANYONE else could help us out with some early upsets ... shoot, guys, we could do this!! NEED orange in the UC, go if you can! I'll be there.
I'll wait for the version with our fortunate wins over PU and Whisky.

foby

Bonnaroo Land

When they have won the next 6 straight, we can have a much better idea if winning the BTT is "the only way to get in the dance". Of course, if *gasp* they should happen to not win the next 6 straight, then I totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.