Illinois Coaching Staff Carousel

#stability

But seriously, Nate has what it takes to be great in this business, he's smart, hard working, he cares, and he's natural leader. I very much hope the coming mess doesn't set him back too far if this is what he really wants to do.

He seems like he has the chops to be a good recruiter as well. Only time will tell. I like it though.

orangeswarm76

hastings Nebraska
Nate seems like a natural coach . It's not his fault he is caught up in this mess he has a chance to up his resume here. If he could do things here why couldn't he somewhere that's successful. From what I hear he was in Miami recruiting a linebacker not long ago. Get em Nate

I asked you guys about Vic Koenning for a reason of course. He was called a couple of days ago about the defensive coordinator job here. I know I'm not of insider status but our family new the Koennings well back when he coached here. Just saying what I know.

Last edited:
I asked you guys about Vic Koenning for a reason of course. He was called a couple of days ago about the defensive coordinator job here. I know I'm not of insider status but our family new the Koennings well back when he coached here. Just saying what I know.

Do you know if he said yes?

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
#stability

But seriously, Nate has what it takes to be great in this business, he's smart, hard working, he cares, and he's natural leader. I very much hope the coming mess doesn't set him back too far if this is what he really wants to do.

Wouldn't it be nice if Nate could be our Alvarez, Fry or Fitzgerald!

Do you know if he said yes?

He said no. He is content with his current state as a coach right now and I don't blame him. Has 3 kids, one of which is a walk on freshman at Troy. It is also VK's first year there, so don't blame him for declining. I think what you can take away from it is that the coaches on the defensive side of the ball must be unstable as of right now.

Mizzou parts ways with Ricker and possibly D-line coach. Is there a chance for mutual interest?

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
He said no. He is content with his current state as a coach right now and I don't blame him. Has 3 kids, one of which is a walk on freshman at Troy. It is also VK's first year there, so don't blame him for declining. I think what you can take away from it is that the coaches on the defensive side of the ball must be unstable as of right now.

Left unsaid was that our situation is terrible.

Ricker and Kuligowski are far too talented to want into our low-paying dumpster fire, guys.

Jobs are not that plentiful. There are hundreds of coaches vying for a finite amount of jobs. It wouldn't surprise me to see either of those guys here if Cubit wants them.

Koenning is a bit overrated. He had a good couple of years here with great talent but has not been that good since and was a horrible head coach.

Jobs are not that plentiful. There are hundreds of coaches vying for a finite amount of jobs. It wouldn't surprise me to see either of those guys here if Cubit wants them.

Koenning is a bit overrated. He had a good couple of years here with great talent but has not been that good since and was a horrible head coach.

Kuligowski is considered one of the best DL coaches in the country. Not a chance he ends up here. Ricker, on the other hand, isn't nearly as highly sought after and has some connections to Cubit, so I could see that happening potentially.

Not sure that any legit coaches want to walk into a situation where they are fired in a year.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Kuligowski is considered one of the best DL coaches in the country. Not a chance he ends up here. Ricker, on the other hand, isn't nearly as highly sought after and has some connections to Cubit, so I could see that happening potentially.

Not sure that any legit coaches want to walk into a situation where they are fired in a year.

It's not ideal.

John Holecek

John Holecek offered the linebacker coaching job. Kids want to play for this guy. The recruiting angle by having John on the staff would be huge.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaytonHighstep

Downers Grove, IL
I would think, if Holecek wanted to coach at Illinois, he would wait until a more permanent situation existed within the football program. The timing for him to move to the college level, especially at Illinois, seems to be a year or 2 too early.

If this is what he wants, I believe the next coach given a 5 year contract at Illinois would be the more ideal fit for Holecek's situation.

Last edited by a moderator: