Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,076      
I am not sure. I truly believe in the its the jimmies and joes rather than the x's and o's. I don't think the football IQ is there, we routinely didn't do simple things that should have to be taught to a D1 football player. The perfect example is Jake Hanson not once touching a tight end when he ran across the middle in the Iowa game. That is something you should learn in youth football or freshman football, no one gets a free pass over the middle of the field that is your chance to re route or drill the opposing player. I think Lovie can teach the game of football but I don't think he thought he would have to go and teach basc youth and high school stuff to these kids.
Sorry about replying so late on this but, it is my understanding that defenders are not allowed to hit receivers on crossing routes. I know that they are not allowed to do so past 5 yards in the NFL. The refs tend to call defensive holding in collegiate football for touching them and one takes on the possibility for being penalized and ejected if one hits them.

#1,077      
Was it a mistake by an NFL coach transitioning to the College level. Yes I agree. My continued point is, he is adjusting. It appears as if he has learned how important recruiting is. He now knows he wont be able to just coach up 2 and 3 star kids to the level of major success.

The Illini coaching staff is not all former NFL players. Perhaps half of them are NCAA and HS products. If Lovie wasn't running a proper NCAA program, you would think that in the daily office interactions they'd point out how it's done.

#1,078      
Sorry about replying so late on this but, it is my understanding that defenders are not allowed to hit receivers on crossing routes. I know that they are not allowed to do so past 5 yards in the NFL. The refs tend to call defensive holding in collegiate football for touching them and one takes on the possibility for being penalized and ejected if one hits them.
You can have some contact before the 5 yards but It's more about knocking the receiver off of the route and throwing off timing. But if you level the receiver just one time he is going to think twice about running across the middle of the field again.

#1,079      
You can have some contact before the 5 yards but It's more about knocking the receiver off of the route and throwing off timing. But if you level the receiver just one time he is going to think twice about running across the middle of the field again.
I basically agree with this. However, leveling the receiver that one time now gets you kicked out of the game. That is a reason it bothers me so much that some receivers immediately fall down after catching a pass. The defender can't even hit them until they are into their 2nd step or, have held the ball for a certain count.

Last edited:
#1,080      
Actually, Tampa 2 (as I understand it, NO expert here), with the MLB becomes Tampa 3. He is responsible for the deep-middle.
I've never heard of a tampa 3 coverage, tampa 2 is just a variation of cover 2. Tampa 2 is typically ran out of a 4-3 defense, instead of the MLB playing just his cover 2 zone, he's responsible for a much deeper portion of the field, as well as reading for a run play beforehand. Like most zone coverage defenses, bend don't break is the mantra.

So I guess if you'd like you can think of him has a third safety, but for alignment purposes, he will always start in the typical mike backer position. It's been a while and I never played a level of football high enough to really get into intricacy's of specific positions, but the MLB is typically one of the hardest defensive positions to play, he's the QB of the defense. Your physical skillset includes (if you're a good mike), being able to run with TE's and RB's, being strong enough to be one of the surer tacklers on the field, and have enough quick twitch to be able to react quicker. Mentally, there's dozens of things you have to account for. Athleticism get's you far, but you gotta have a good football mind to master the position. Having a guy like that eases a lot of other guys responsibilities out there. Not sure Hanson is the answer, but Eifler is even more of a question mark.

#1,081      
I've never heard of a tampa 3 coverage, tampa 2 is just a variation of cover 2. Tampa 2 is typically ran out of a 4-3 defense, instead of the MLB playing just his cover 2 zone, he's responsible for a much deeper portion of the field, as well as reading for a run play beforehand. Like most zone coverage defenses, bend don't break is the mantra.

So I guess if you'd like you can think of him has a third safety, but for alignment purposes, he will always start in the typical mike backer position. It's been a while and I never played a level of football high enough to really get into intricacy's of specific positions, but the MLB is typically one of the hardest defensive positions to play, he's the QB of the defense. Your physical skillset includes (if you're a good mike), being able to run with TE's and RB's, being strong enough to be one of the surer tacklers on the field, and have enough quick twitch to be able to react quicker. Mentally, there's dozens of things you have to account for. Athleticism get's you far, but you gotta have a good football mind to master the position. Having a guy like that eases a lot of other guys responsibilities out there. Not sure Hanson is the answer, but Eifler is even more of a question mark.
Milo is a much better athlete than jake and a lot faster.

#1,082      
Milo is a much better athlete than jake and a lot faster.
I've heard this, but I try to temper expectations until I see the product on the field. Of course, Washington is a much better program than us, but there's surely reasons he wasn't on the two deep there.

#1,085      
You think Mark Trestman can hook up with Lovie for an OC upgrade?

Can we delete this for blasphemy? By no means did he have a perfect season, but the improvement that Rod Smith had on that side of the ball this season was fantastic. I know we are Illini fans and are used to looking for greener grass, but our guy is already a good one in this scenario. Let's appreciate him while we have him, and do our best to make that last a long time.

#1,086      
Can we delete this for blasphemy? By no means did he have a perfect season, but the improvement that Rod Smith had on that side of the ball this season was fantastic. I know we are Illini fans and are used to looking for greener grass, but our guy is already a good one in this scenario. Let's appreciate him while we have him, and do our best to make that last a long time.

1545105347551.jpeg

#1,087      

Deleted member 11196

D

I think some would like to replace a coach after 3 bad seasons, while others wouldn't mind replacing them after 3 bad games... I'm wondering if there are some who might want to replace a coach after 3 bad play calls ? ? ?

#1,093      

bdutts

Houston, Texas
What the heck? Has Holgo finally had enough of WVU? Surely Houston isn't firing Applewhite for poor performance.

Yep, they are. Strange move. Haven’t heard much about it down here yet.

#1,096      
Any chance Lovie goes after Todd Bolles. 55 year old, maybe wants break from the pros. Top notch NFL DC coordinator.

#1,099      

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
Major Applewhite out at Houston and rumored going after WVU's Dana Holgersen per The Athletic

But not before trying to hire Kliff Kingsbury...

This all seems to be the result of poor planning on Houston's part. Was the outcome of a 2nd-rate bowl game really the x-factor in deciding whether or not to retain him? This plus Manny Diaz bolting Temple to replace Richt at Miami has added up to a crazy coaching day.

#1,100      

bdutts

Houston, Texas
But not before trying to hire Kliff Kingsbury...

This all seems to be the result of poor planning on Houston's part. Was the outcome of a 2nd-rate bowl game really the x-factor in deciding whether or not to retain him? This plus Manny Diaz bolting Temple to replace Richt at Miami has added up to a crazy coaching day.

Applewhite was the easy choice two years ago. I think they didn’t do much looking outside at the time. That choice is on Fertitta and the board. But yeah, not sure why they thought making a change now should be done. Not much reporting on it down here with the success of the Texans. Hopefully, Fertitta will start talking about it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.