Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
health reasons, my a.. he'll have a new job by this summer. might even show up on TV for the playoffs.
He's running away just like he did in Florida.

agree. I think this was negotiated with the AD and Prez last August when he was in trouble re the asst coach beating his wife and Urban turning a blind eye. Just my take on it, but its more than likely the deal.

agree. I think this was negotiated with the AD and Prez last August when he was in trouble re the asst coach beating his wife and Urban turning a blind eye. Just my take on it, but its more than likely the deal.
Interesting theory. I did think during the championship game that Fox seemed to be overblowing the shots of Urban rubbing the side of his head or bending over, and the discussions of his health and imminent retirement seemed like something someone could get sued over. I definitely think they were trying to help lay the ground work for this announcement.

Guys, Urban Meyer suffers from several serious health issues. He's had had heart and GI issues, now the brain cyst. Good decision to step back and enjoy life and family.

Deleted member 631370

D
He's gonna recruit the hell out of DMV though.

He might get a few blue chippers, but James Franklin is the king of the DMV recruiting-wise. Ohio State and Alabama have recruited the area well, too.

Very different dynamic than in 2006-2007.

ESPN confirms.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ns-hire-mike-locksley-alabama-crimson-tide-oc

Maryland must not have heard about how Mike's HC job at New Mexico turned out.

Maryland fans believe his relationships in that area will be the first step to getting all of the school's controversy behind them. It's tough to recruit after all that went down with Durkin.

Also, Matt Canada will be a very hot commodity for OC in the next few weeks. He did a great job keeping that program afloat.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I don't know why, but I have this odd feeling he will wait until Saban retires from 'Bama and then take that job.

I don't know why, but I have this odd feeling he will wait until Saban retires from 'Bama and then take that job.
Was linked to ND at same time as OSU. Think this is the favorite. If ND has a letdown in the next couple of years, can see this happening.

Maryland fans believe his relationships in that area will be the first step to getting all of the school's controversy behind them. It's tough to recruit after all that went down with Durkin.

Also, Matt Canada will be a very hot commodity for OC in the next few weeks. He did a great job keeping that program afloat.
Saw some articles recently on the 10 year anniversary rose bowl season. Maybe earlier this year? Good memories.
Happy to see locksley get another HC shot. Maryland seemed to be the eventual progression when he left about 10 years ago. I’m sure (hopefully) he learned from UNM experience. Alabama experience should put him in the right direction.

Saw a Werner tweet with ligs recruiting NY. Never seen that before! Lol. So he’s staying on. Also saw Robert Wright out recruiting. Maybe he is staying on, or just able to recruit as still interim coach??

the national

the Front Range
I wish Md and Locks no ill will but this will not turn out well
I guess we'll find out. He has improved as a coach over the past 10 yrs. Plus he has been through alot personally, to the point where he is almost a totally different guy than the Locks that coached at Illinois. I could see it going either way for him.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Saw a Werner tweet with ligs recruiting NY. Never seen that before! Lol. So he’s staying on. Also saw Robert Wright out recruiting. Maybe he is staying on, or just able to recruit as still interim coach??

Garrick McGee and Paul Williams were kept through the early signing period last year as well. I wouldn't read too much into it.

He's not a Bama guy. And I doubt he would want to follow Saban. They are in competition as the 2 most successful coaches of the era. I think Urban would want to make sure his "legacy" is distinct from Saban.

Urban to Bama is where I'd put my money. If Kelly sputters in the next few years, I could also see that. I can't imagine a world where Urban isn't a football HC somewhere in 5 years, though I've heard talk of an administrative position, further moving into Gene Smith's role once he retires.
His ability to read a situation and handle staff and players and press would make him a nightmare administrator for a school. He's a coach and a successful one that comes with a lot of baggage outside of the W-L record. I certainly wouldn't want him managing too many professional subordinates or being responsible for the welfare of an entire department of student-athletes.

Urban to Bama is where I'd put my money. If Kelly sputters in the next few years, I could also see that. I can't imagine a world where Urban isn't a football HC somewhere in 5 years, though I've heard talk of an administrative position, further moving into Gene Smith's role once he retires.
That Bama job is Dabo's as long as he wants it.

Garrick McGee and Paul Williams were kept through the early signing period last year as well. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Yeah, looks like the day after period ended. McGee and Williams weren’t known as recruiters though. Not sure if they were out recruiting. Wasn’t following staff whereabouts last year.

Deleted member 631370

D
I guess we'll find out. He has improved as a coach over the past 10 yrs. Plus he has been through alot personally, to the point where he is almost a totally different guy than the Locks that coached at Illinois. I could see it going either way for him.

Are you sure about that? He went 1-11, 1-11, and 0-4 at New Mexico, and then just 3 years ago, went 1-5 as the interim coach at Maryland. So how are you measuring improvement? Clearly, as a head coach, he has demonstrated no ability whatsoever to win.

Of course, coaching under Saban for a few years is a plus, but there's a world of difference between coaching on Saban's staff (which has become a revolving door of coaches over the past few years, each one completely replaceable), and managing your own staff. Locks seems unable to do the latter.

Deleted member 631370

D
That Bama job is Dabo's as long as he wants it.

Exactly.

Clemson fans are in a weird spot. On the one hand, if Saban goes away, then Clemson becomes the new #1 year in and year out, and probably becomes the favorite to win the national title in any given year. The problem is, is Saban goes away, Dabo almost certainly replaces him.

So if you're a Clemson fan, do you root for Saban to keep coaching -- and winning -- at Alabama?

If Urby is going anywhere else, it's Notre Dame. Kelly seems to have things in order there, so I don't see that job opening anytime soon.

Exactly.

Clemson fans are in a weird spot. On the one hand, if Saban goes away, then Clemson becomes the new #1 year in and year out, and probably becomes the favorite to win the national title in any given year. The problem is, is Saban goes away, Dabo almost certainly replaces him.

So if you're a Clemson fan, do you root for Saban to keep coaching -- and winning -- at Alabama?

If Urby is going anywhere else, it's Notre Dame. Kelly seems to have things in order there, so I don't see that job opening anytime soon.
I agree with you on Urban to will be interesting to see if Kelly wants to give the NFL a try.

Deleted member 746094

D

I can’t imagine an institution of higher learning putting him in charge of their athletic department the way he has handled some of these things in the past 6 to 8 months. I don’t think it was all on him as OSU should have helped him handle it better, but the fact of the matter is he didn’t help his image outside of the W-L record. He will be back coaching somewhere, not named Bama. Other than Dabo, Bama is a death trap for everyone after Saban in my opinion. Can’t imagine making that program anymore dominant than it already is.

He will end up somewhere that is similar to the OSU situation he took over. National power a little down and all it needs is two or three recruiting classes and he is back in the NC hunt. So maybe a program like USC, FSU, Miami if their coaches don’t get them turned in the next season or two. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.