Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

the national

the Front Range
Are you sure about that? He went 1-11, 1-11, and 0-4 at New Mexico, and then just 3 years ago, went 1-5 as the interim coach at Maryland. So how are you measuring improvement? Clearly, as a head coach, he has demonstrated no ability whatsoever to win.

Of course, coaching under Saban for a few years is a plus, but there's a world of difference between coaching on Saban's staff (which has become a revolving door of coaches over the past few years, each one completely replaceable), and managing your own staff. Locks seems unable to do the latter.
I’m in no way suggestion he will win at Maryland. My point was that the guy has gone through a lot professionally and personally since his time here, including failing at New Mexico and losing his son. Someone thought enough of him to give him another crack at it, even having gone 1-5 as their intern coach. Bama certainly wouldn’t have hired him if they didn’t think highly of him. It’s a gamble for sure but it’s one that I will be interested in, to see how it shakes out.

I can’t imagine an institution of higher learning putting him in charge of their athletic department the way he has handled some of these things in the past 6 to 8 months. I don’t think it was all on him as OSU should have helped him handle it better, but the fact of the matter is he didn’t help his image outside of the W-L record. He will be back coaching somewhere, not named Bama. Other than Dabo, Bama is a death trap for everyone after Saban in my opinion. Can’t imagine making that program anymore dominant than it already is.

He will end up somewhere that is similar to the OSU situation he took over. National power a little down and all it needs is two or three recruiting classes and he is back in the NC hunt. So maybe a program like USC, FSU, Miami if their coaches don’t get them turned in the next season or two. Just a thought.

Agree. Miami seems logical in so many ways but for that program, trying to get away from its history, to accept a guy with Urban's moral and disciplinary record seems like a stretch. I could see him at Penn State if Franklin doesn't work out. That group would sell their souls for a few wins. Tennessee is desperate enough that they'd throw silly money at him if Pruitt doesn't satisfy the mobs.

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
I get Dabo's Alabama ties make him the obvious favorite to succeed Saban, but he loves Clemson and has shown (so far) to be one of the classiest coaches in college football. As someone mentioned with Meyer, Swinney probably wants to establish his own legacy, and being the guy to make Clemson one of the enduring titans of college football would be a great one to leave if he stays there the rest of his career.

But lost in all this Meyer/Saban/Swinney speculation are more carousel moves!

Georgia Tech makes a solid hire in Temple's Geoff Collins.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...lins-to-lead-yellow-jackets-football-program/

Also, closer to the home front, Minnesota running backs coach Kenni Burns is a strong favorite to take over at EIU. Would be interesting move since he's not from the Bob Spoo tree like his two predecessors.
http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-kenni-burns-strong-candidate-eastern-illinois/

Same website also reports that Kansas State is zeroing in North Dakota State's Chris Klieman, who has continued the team's winning ways since Craig Bohl left.
http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-kansas-state-zeroing-chris-klieman/

In regards to Illinois football, Littrell is reportedly staying at North Texas, so a potential quality candidate still on the board if Lovie is not retained after next season.

Last edited:

the national

the Front Range
I get Dabo's Alabama ties make him the obvious favorite to succeed Saban, but he loves Clemson and has shown (so far) to be one of the classiest coaches in college football. As someone mentioned with Meyer, Swinney probably wants to establish his own legacy, and being the guy to make Clemson one of the enduring titans of college football would be a great one to leave if he stays there the rest of his career.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...lins-to-lead-yellow-jackets-football-program/

Also, closer to the home front, Minnesota running backs coach Kenni Burns is a strong favorite to take over at EIU. Would be interesting move since he's not from the Bob Spoo tree like his two predecessors.
http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-kenni-burns-strong-candidate-eastern-illinois/

Same website also reports that Kansas State is zeroing in North Dakota State's Chris Klieman, who has continued the team's winning ways since Craig Bohl left.
Didn’t Kenni play at SHG in Springfield? I’m friends with him on Facebook from years back, lol

Ryllini

Lombard
Exactly.

Clemson fans are in a weird spot. On the one hand, if Saban goes away, then Clemson becomes the new #1 year in and year out, and probably becomes the favorite to win the national title in any given year. The problem is, is Saban goes away, Dabo almost certainly replaces him.

So if you're a Clemson fan, do you root for Saban to keep coaching -- and winning -- at Alabama?

If Urby is going anywhere else, it's Notre Dame. Kelly seems to have things in order there, so I don't see that job opening anytime soon.
Kelly is a few seasons away from getting to Knute’s all time coaching wins record, unless he wins a title, we will see if ND allows that to happen. Sort of joking.

In regards to Illinois football, Littrell is reportedly staying at North Texas, so a potential quality candidate still on the board if Lovie is not retained after next season.

Littrell walked away from KState once he was told that he could not bring his whole staff to Manhattan as well as having a huge buyout if he took the Oklahoma job. That is the job that he really wants. Belief is that he stays at NT until Lincoln leaves for the NFL

Has KSU given anyone the nod to replace Snyder? Any front runners reported?

No, expecting to name a coach next week, probably early. Littrell was the front runner but in no longer in the running. Seems as if NDST's head coach Chris Klieman is the guy they are focusing on. Have also heard Oregon DC Jim Leavitt is a candidate as well as South Carolina's OL Coach Eric Wolford along with Memphis coach Mike Norvell and Troy's Neal Brown

Deleted member 631370

D
No, expecting to name a coach next week, probably early. Littrell was the front runner but in no longer in the running. Seems as if NDST's head coach Chris Klieman is the guy they are focusing on. Have also heard Oregon DC Jim Leavitt is a candidate as well as South Carolina's OL Coach Eric Wolford along with Memphis coach Mike Norvell and Troy's Neal Brown

Norvell is a name that comes up a lot. I just don't see it. High powered offense, but man, that team doesn't play defense, nor do they hold on to huge leads over good teams.

He inherited a really good team from Justin Fuente, and has kept Memphis in contention. But that's a pretty weak conference, and going 8-5 twice now doesn't do much to impress me.

He reminds me of Kingsbury in the sense that he's known for being an offensive guru, but as a head coach, he's pretty "meh". Better as a high-profile OC, IMO.

BZuppke

Plainfield
I’m up north. Packer fans speculating Harbaugh to GB. I would think scUM would immediately hire Urban. 😄

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
I’m up north. Packer fans speculating Harbaugh to GB. I would think scUM would immediately hire Urban. 😄
has Bill Cowher ever given any indication he is willing to coach again? If so, one would think that job would appeal to him

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
crazy as it may seem to many on here, a Chrsitian school like Liberty is often the quickest to forgive.

anyone here without sin, go ahead and cast the first stone.
Me? I have too many past issues to judge anyone. I'm just lucky my wife, parents and kids continue to forgive me

crazy as it may seem to many on here, a Chrsitian school like Liberty is often the quickest to forgive.

Me? I have too many past issues to judge anyone. I'm just lucky my wife, parents and kids continue to forgive me

I don’t think it’s a question of forgiveness. It’s a question of integrity. The alumni base has hated many of Falwell’s stances. Some have even returned their diplomas. It’s one thing to say you stand for something. It’s another to stand for something.

Yeah, a key part of that line of logic is the sinful (or morally lacking) party showing contrition. There is absolutely no evidence of that at all. In fact, his ability to continuously lie, somehow preach bible verses (therefore actively attempting to deceive by masquerading as pious), cheat on his wife, and lie some more tends to lend credence in the opposite direction (particularly as it is at least reasonable to assume he did this for at least four consecutive years). All of this aided by the fact that the AD at Liberty was the AD at Baylor, overseeeing one of the three greatest sexual assault scandals in (at least recent) sports history (Nassar, Baylor, and PSU). There may be others I’m not aware of. All that to say, they can go ahead and claim that Hugh Freeze is “sorry” and “we conducted strenuous in depth interviews” and “blah blah blah is a testament to his character.” It’s all meaningless without actions backing it up. Liberty wants to sell the hires they’ve made, they better have more than empty words. Unless I missed it, that hasn’t happened.

So yeah, I’ll go ahead and cast that stone.

Last edited:

Deleted member 631370

D

This isn't about forgiveness. It's about winning. Period.

There is value in forgiving, and people can redeem themselves. But far too often, this kind of phony "born again" moment in which people like Hugh Freeze come groveling on their hands and knees for a second chance is all a show.

This guy has a long track record of pure slime. And the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Liberty is playing the "forgiveness" card, but they're doing so because they would never, ever be able to get a coach of this caliber otherwise.

And here's the problem with suggesting that Liberty is willing to forgive: they show no such forgiveness for people with whom they disagree politically (not to mention homosexuals or others for whom they show no such forgiveness). Their forgiveness is selective. If there's an earthly benefit in forgiving, they'll do it. If there's not, they won't. Freeze can take their football program up a level or two, and that brings revenue and prestige. Thus, forgiveness is the necessary remedy to bring him into their otherwise-judgmental fold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.