Illinois Coaching Staff Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any reason why the hires are taking so long? Are we going after people still in the CFP or the NFL playoffs? The longer we wait, the less time the kids have to start learning new systems.

Illini TJ

Omaha, Nebraska
Any reason why the hires are taking so long? Are we going after people still in the CFP or the NFL playoffs? The longer we wait, the less time the kids have to start learning new systems.

Locksley is on Bama staff. Maybe a return for him? Damn fine recruiter

I'd like that very much. He can use his previous experience with us to show recruits that his system works and, if Bama wins on Monday, he'd have a shiny piece of jewelry to make a more compelling argument.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Wait, why would Mike Locksley leave being the co-OC at Alabama to become the OC at Illinois? He's going to make ~$750k this after bonuses, and likely has the highest level of stability that can be achieved by a non head coach.

It's possible with the opportunity to call plays, a pay raise, and what not, but seems highly unlikely.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I’ll ask both of you this: what is your opinion of Bennett Williams because he was a 2 star according to some services? Mike Epstein? He was a 3 star. Bobby Roundtree? Another 3 star.

To be honest, I really don’t care what someone’s ranking is as long as they can produce on the field. The NFL is littered with guys who were lightly recruited out of high school.

This is brought up so much around here now that it's starting to appear as gospel. 2-star recruits that turn into Bennett Williams are the exception, not the rule. Just look at the 2016 recruiting class, specifically the 2* guys (per Rivals): Doug Kramer, Dominic Thieman, Griffin Palmer, Kenyon Jackson, Jake Cemy, Brandon Jones, Ahmari Hayes, Jake Hansen, Tymir Oliver, Evan Jones, Christian Abercrombie, Darta Lee, MJ McGriff, Ayo Shogbonyo, Harvey Clayton, Tre Nation.

A lot of these guys have already transferred out, a couple of them will get a smattering of PT time before they graduate and/or could be a decent backup, and a couple will be decent starters. But as a group, it's a really bad list.

I'm not advocating for people to be upset when Illinois gets a commitment from a 2-star, because we can all be hopeful. We do need to quit ignoring recruiting class rankings because this guy or that guy "made it". I'll gladly swap out any and all 2* for 4* recruits. The recruiting ranking is an indicator of the incoming talent. Yes, it is important to see their value to the team, but that's a reactive model. Currently, this year's ranking provides some insight into how the freshmen will perform before they actually perform (but I'd also point out that team recruiting rankings are heavily correlated with the team's future performance).

This is brought up so much around here now that it's starting to appear as gospel. 2-star recruits that turn into Bennett Williams are the exception, not the rule. Just look at the 2016 recruiting class, specifically the 2* guys (per Rivals): Doug Kramer, Dominic Thieman, Griffin Palmer, Kenyon Jackson, Jake Cemy, Brandon Jones, Ahmari Hayes, Jake Hansen, Tymir Oliver, Evan Jones, Christian Abercrombie, Darta Lee, MJ McGriff, Ayo Shogbonyo, Harvey Clayton, Tre Nation.

A lot of these guys have already transferred out, a couple of them will get a smattering of PT time before they graduate and/or could be a decent backup, and a couple will be decent starters. But as a group, it's a really bad list.

I'm not advocating for people to be upset when Illinois gets a commitment from a 2-star, because we can all be hopeful. We do need to quit ignoring recruiting class rankings because this guy or that guy "made it". I'll gladly swap out any and all 2* for 4* recruits. The recruiting ranking is an indicator of the incoming talent. Yes, it is important to see their value to the team, but that's a reactive model. Currently, this year's ranking provides some insight into how the freshmen will perform before they actually perform (but I'd also point out that team recruiting rankings are heavily correlated with the team's future performance).

No question that making your living scouting undervalued guys is much more difficult than signing a bunch of 4 and 5 stars.

However, the previous examples you listed were from a prior staff therefore apples to oranges. Of the bottom 5 recruits ratings wise in Lovie's first class, 4 of them received post season awards of varying degrees. That is not luck.

Deleted member 654622

D

No question that making your living scouting undervalued guys is much more difficult than signing a bunch of 4 and 5 stars.

However, the previous examples you listed were from a prior staff therefore apples to oranges. Of the bottom 5 recruits ratings wise in Lovie's first class, 4 of them received post season awards of varying degrees. That is not luck.

The truth is we are really in the middle here right. Lovie's staff has shown in the small amount of time that we can get some really good players from 2/3 star guys. But truth be told, we all want to pull in some 5/4 stars. Imagine what the staff could do to those guys.
So yes we are all upset we didn't get a higher class, or pull in Adele and Houston. But we can be optimistic about the boys we did get. With improvement on the field and the facility improvement off, hopefully we can start pulling some higher ranked dudes

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
If we get just a couple Hobbs or Williams level players out of this class from the lower ranked guys we'll be in fine shape. Pull in a couple surprises before Feb and we'll be pretty set so long as we don't crap the bed for 19 recruiting.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Random OC candidate option for the day...

Jeff Horton - San Diego State OC
Run heavy offense
Prior head coach experience (seems to be a trend with Lovie OCs)
6 years as assistant to Barry Alvarez
4 years of NFL experience

you forgot to add the part that not all 4* are a for sure either, You are right that we cant think every 2* is going to turn into a Williams, but we arent taking 5-10 of them a year like we were, so if the staff can see talent the odds of them being ok to good players isn't wishing for much.

Deleted member 2438

D
When will the posting period for the coaching positions be over so we can continue?

you forgot to add the part that not all 4* are a for sure either, You are right that we cant think every 2* is going to turn into a Williams, but we arent taking 5-10 of them a year like we were, so if the staff can see talent the odds of them being ok to good players isn't wishing for much.

How many 4 and 5 star players can you realistically expect until we start winning at some acceptable level to that caliber of player? Even a man of Lovie’s status faces an uphill battle at Illinois. I do think the plan is in place. I have no idea if it will be enough.

How many 4 and 5 star players can you realistically expect until we start winning at some acceptable level to that caliber of player? Even a man of Lovie’s status faces an uphill battle at Illinois. I do think the plan is in place. I have no idea if it will be enough.

I don't think we will land a decent coach if Lovie is not provided with a long enough opportunity to succeed. From the nonresident alumni I have been in contact with, they have suggested that the leash is getting very short. I don't know how much truth that holds, but I know that they have discussed holding donations after the next football season without a bowl game

Konnie

Western Suburbs
I don't think we will land a decent coach if Lovie is not provided with a long enough opportunity to succeed. From the nonresident alumni I have been in contact with, they have suggested that the leash is getting very short. I don't know how much truth that holds, but I know that they have discussed holding donations after the next football season without a bowl game

I bet a lot of donors will withhold their donations. Not because of the number of games we win or lose but because 80% of the donation is no longer tax deductible if you want access to season parking passes or season tickets.

New OC Key Hire - Make or Break Lovie's Regime at Illinois

Not only the OC hire but also filling other positions correctly and with the right 'fit' utilizing current and future players will the key to Lovie's and AD Whitman's future.

How far will both Lovie and Whitman be willing to pay top dollar with these new coaches? Will taking chances with these current/new football coaches and the future football performance center be worth the gamble? Only time will tell.

UofI08

Chicago
Status
Not open for further replies.