Illinois Coaching Staff Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Hamilton is currently making > $1million a year with UM. One would think we would need to match or beat that, which would be a significant increase from what McGee was making. Not saying it couldn't happen, just pointing that out.

Would be kind of mind-boggling to see the man with the title "Passing Game Coordinator" at UM in 2017 get a promotion. If we hired him away from Michigan, we would be the laughing stock of the conference. Oh, wait...

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Man, I would swing for the fences with Sumlin, but he's got 60 million reasons not to do it thanks to his agent/amazing contract.

The ex Oregon HC guy is a good option

I doubt Sumlin would be interested, but his contract won't be the issue. Sumlin's contract does not have the "normal" buyout that reduces his pay from A&M if he gets another job. His buyout was required in full already, and didn't stipulate of a reduced buyout if he is fired and gets another job, meaning any job he gets moving forward is additional compensation.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
nevermind - looks like it was official this morning. too much leftover egg nog? i'll go back to lurking now!

I doubt Sumlin would be interested, but his contract won't be the issue. Sumlin's contract does not have the "normal" buyout that reduces his pay from A&M if he gets another job. His buyout was required in full already, and didn't stipulate of a reduced buyout if he is fired and gets another job, meaning any job he gets moving forward is additional compensation.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. He (Sumlin) can afford to be incredibly picky about his next spot and chose a situation that would be right for him, both professionally and monetarily.

Also, I have never understood why people are so enamored with a "pro-style" offense for a couple of reasons.
1) If you have a player that is good enough, he will find a way onto a pro roster, regardless of if he was in a "pro system" (case in point, Jared Goff, Curtis Samuels, and to a lesser degree Tim Tebow).

2) The college game is influencing the pro game. While ball control is a thing, the game is no longer 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Most NFL teams are spreading you out with 3 or 4 WR sets and running out of a shotgun.

3) I have always viewed spread offenses as an evening of the playing field. Are we going to be able to out-athlete a Michigan or an Ohio State by running a pro-style game? No, those are established programs that have been brilliant about innovating and adapting to the game as it evolves. If you want to beat the big boys, you not only have to outsmart them, but you have to put your players, schematically, in a position to do it and I believe the spread helps with that.

Note: this is not an attack on anyone, pro-style is just not my taste for an offense. I think McGee was trying to move towards that, but lackluster QB play in combination with injuries prevented that.

Also saw this scrolling along the bottom of the tv while taking in one of the bowl games yesterday afternoon. Must be slow news day.

Beats hearing about Iowa beating BC in the Pinstripe Bowl.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Also saw this scrolling along the bottom of the tv while taking in one of the bowl games yesterday afternoon. Must be slow news day.

yea, same here. that, combined with the fact that it didn't get front page coverage here yet made me think the announcement was recent. Missed the post on this thread a couple of pages back.

Definitely slow news day...the amount of time/webpage space that John Legend's wife got about that stupid flight that turned around, and now this getting repeated on the ticker...

aiwpfan

Springfield, Il

Yeah. Supposedly he and Orgeron disagreed on how the LSU offense should be run. Given the history of both coaches, I'm going to side with Canada. I would not mind seeing him come to Illinois.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Beats hearing about Iowa beating BC in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Uh, well, that was the game I was watching. Still did not mind that a Big Ten team won. Good also for Purdue. Sorry I missed that one. Heard it was exciting. Let's see what Mich St. does today. Could it actually be 3 in a row for the league? Stay tuned...

Sorry, forgot what thread I am on here. So, let's hope Lovie makes the right choice for his next OC!!

Mike Gundy Oklahoma state

Google the phrase "how Mike Gundy found his offensive coordinator on the internet". Fascinating article that was posted at espn.com today.:)

Google the phrase "how Mike Gundy found his offensive coordinator on the internet". Fascinating article that was posted at espn.com today.:)

Just read that. Nice article. It kind of reminds me of Hugh Freeze a little bit, except hopefully without the hookers and NCAA sanctions at the end.

Somebody over at one of the other boards is waving the flag for Derek Leonard from Rochester. While I'm not advocating for him to be brought in as OC, he's a guy that I think could be eventually be successful in the college ranks if given the chance to be a QB coach and learn under a good OC for a couple of years. I'm just not sure what more he has to prove at the HS level, unless he is waiting for his dad to retire from SHG so he can take over there.

IlliniRocketFan

Rochester, IL
Just read that. Nice article. It kind of reminds me of Hugh Freeze a little bit, except hopefully without the hookers and NCAA sanctions at the end.

Somebody over at one of the other boards is waving the flag for Derek Leonard from Rochester. While I'm not advocating for him to be brought in as OC, he's a guy that I think could be eventually be successful in the college ranks if given the chance to be a QB coach and learn under a good OC for a couple of years. I'm just not sure what more he has to prove at the HS level, unless he is waiting for his dad to retire from SHG so he can take over there.

I have watched Coach Leonard since 2006, when my oldest started playing for him. I think he could do amazing as a college OC, just look what he has done for eight straight years with a school population of around 750, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. He is very tied to Rochester and his family is young, maybe when his children get older. Now, that's not saying he doesn't have a price....lol.

Let me tell you now, Derek Leonard would be a homerun hire as the OC at Illinois. Do I see that happening? No.

Lovie is looking more to the NFL Ranks for coaching experience so I don't see a High School coach coming on board anytime soon. I also don't think Leonard would do it. Like the last poster said, he is very happy where he is at right now. It's not like other programs aren't trying to pull him away every year... He just keeps turning everyone down.

However, that has been and will continue to be my dream OC for Illinois.

A small school high school coach jumping all the way to the Big Ten. Seriously? I'm sure Monmouth, St. Ambrose, or Augustana would take him instead. Fine with me. Does the water at Rochester taste a little funny?

217sports

Springfield
Let me tell you now, Derek Leonard would be a homerun hire as the OC at Illinois. Do I see that happening? No.

Lovie is looking more to the NFL Ranks for coaching experience so I don't see a High School coach coming on board anytime soon. I also don't think Leonard would do it. Like the last poster said, he is very happy where he is at right now. It's not like other programs aren't trying to pull him away every year... He just keeps turning everyone down.

However, that has been and will continue to be my dream OC for Illinois.

Derek had offers to be a QB coach at the D1 level and turned them down. He's not getting any OC offers anytime soon though

So what are the 3 spots we are going to fill? OC for sure. But then what? I like the flexibility but what is our need/direction we should take?

Status
Not open for further replies.