Illinois Coaching Staff Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovie is a top 50 winningest coach in NFL history and was fired after a 10-6 season to a no name coach, which the Bears have still not recovered from.

He went to a basement dweller Tampa Bay team and turned the team around, only to get fired after a clear uptrend in wins. This was a shock to everyone not in Tampa Bay's head office.

He came to a P5 conference with a limited roster of P5 players and has officially been coaching for a little over a year and a half. In which time he has had to establish high school connections, clean out the roster and upgrade talent at almost every position. I don't think many NFL franchises would be afraid to consider him now or even if he gets fired in the coming years.

You sire have a clear grasp of the situation. I applaud you. I can't thank the staff and the kids enough for all the hard work they put in. And thank you for your post.

UofI08

Chicago
Does this slow OC search point to current/fired NFL guys? I can see Lovie preferring NFL guys, and I can also see NFL guys being hesitant to take a college job before all the NFL staffs are filled. Also, I think if it was a college guy, you'd want that announced as quickly as possible to help with recruiting. The other 2 spots I don't know what to think, unless 1 is linked to the OC job as a QB coach. Otherwise I'd imagine you would want to announce those when they are filled.

Just my completely uninformed guess.

Does this slow OC search point to current/fired NFL guys? I can see Lovie preferring NFL guys, and I can also see NFL guys being hesitant to take a college job before all the NFL staffs are filled. Also, I think if it was a college guy, you'd want that announced as quickly as possible to help with recruiting. The other 2 spots I don't know what to think, unless 1 is linked to the OC job as a QB coach. Otherwise I'd imagine you would want to announce those when they are filled.

Just my completely uninformed guess.

Could be that, or could be the guy they want is currently coaching in the playoffs, so an extension is warranted.

It also could be that Lovie has been turned down by his first and second choices.
This is not a good situation

BZuppke

Plainfield
It also could be that Lovie has been turned down by his first and second choices.
This is not a good situation

So Illini fan to think of the most negative scenario. This is an important hire so I'm sure Lovie will take his time. Maybe he's waiting for one of the existing playoff teams to lose.

Lovie is a top 50 winningest coach in NFL history and was fired after a 10-6 season to a no name coach, which the Bears have still not recovered from.

He went to a basement dweller Tampa Bay team and turned the team around, only to get fired after a clear uptrend in wins. This was a shock to everyone not in Tampa Bay's head office.

He came to a P5 conference with a limited roster of P5 players and has officially been coaching for a little over a year and a half. In which time he has had to establish high school connections, clean out the roster and upgrade talent at almost every position. I don't think many NFL franchises would be afraid to consider him now or even if he gets fired in the coming years.

Very well stated.

Dren1

Glenview, IL
As for offensive coordinators, isn't it amazing that Saban has gone through new OCs every season and still wins it all? Kiffin, Sarkisian, and whoever preceded them and whoever the current one is. And we're worried about Illinois.

Deleted member 654622

D
As for offensive coordinators, isn't it amazing that Saban has gone through new OCs every season and still wins it all? Kiffin, Sarkisian, and whoever preceded them and whoever the current one is. And we're worried about Illinois.

Well when you had the no. 1 recruiting class 4 years in a row and a defensively minded Head Coach who requires the Offense to play conservatively, it really doesn't matter who the OC is does it.

My post wasn’t meant to be negative just realistic. You don’t extend a job posting when you are waiting for your prospective hire to finish his current job. You extend when don’t like the people who have applied.
I do believe that we will hire a much better OC than our previous coach. But then that’s a very low bar.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
You don’t extend a job posting when you are waiting for your prospective hire to finish his current job.

So what exactly is the downside of extending the job posting in that scenario...other than raise the blood pressure of us over-analyzing fans?

Can't argue with that, Illinibatt, but if he told me (and I'm not Lovie) that he wanted to see if he could get the Michigan OC job first, I'd tell him good luck and go on to #1B.

UofI08

Chicago
Lets take Pep Hamilton as a hypothetical.
Maybe Lovie thinks he's absolutely the #1A candidate for OC?

However, Pep wanted to see if he could land the ASU and Miss. St. HC jobs.
So, we had to wait for that.
Perfectly reasonable.

Pep also wanted to see if he would get the Michigan OC job or some other NFL OC job that he wanted.
So, we had to wait for that.
Perfectly reasonable.

These would all be perfectly reasonable reasons to extend the job posting and still be in the hunt for whomever is our top target.

I think you might want to at least talk to some other candidates if you're, at best, #4 on your 1A's list.

Thats straight from Groucho Marx. "I would never consider joining a club that would have me as a member".

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Can't argue with that, Illinibatt, but if he told me (and I'm not Lovie) that he wanted to see if he could get the Michigan OC job first, I'd tell him good luck and go on to #1B.

If Self had employed that strategy, Deron Williiams wouldn't have been an Illini.

Oldtoysrock

Sarasota, Florida
Illinois Coaching Staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 3875

D
Tell Pep to take a walk. He was no ball of fire in Indy. Got the boot. We can do better (maybe).

UofI08

Chicago
This would not be unusual because the candidates that have Illinois' OC at the top of their wish list aren't necessarily guys we would want there.

True. I guess I just kinda figured that the guys Lovie would be after would either be OC's that are out of a job or QB coaches that want to move back up to being an OC. Basically coaches that don't have multiple similar OC jobs being offered to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.