Illinois Coaching Staff Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have three guys that are NOT out on the recruiting trail, which in my estimation we don’t have the liberty to miss out on with positions yet to fill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The new guys aren't going to walk in and create immediate relationships with 2018 recruits. The slots we have left to fill are more than covered by the current staff

Hahaha agreed. Someone before actually said “recruiting is almost over anyways”.

Ummmm. What rock do you live under? They have a few spots remaining this year AND I believe every spot to fill for 2019 and 2020 classes.

Recruiting is never over. So yes having these coaching positions not filled and out recruiting is not ideal. But it’s not the end of the world either.

I said that and the 2018 remaining recruits are not going to be impacted by the new hires in all likelihood. 2019 and 2020 will be more likely impacted by poor early hirings than a 3 week delay in getting the right guys.

This is just histrionics by a few about a process that none of us know the intricacies of

BigStan97

Cincinnati OH
I said that and the 2018 remaining recruits are not going to be impacted by the new hires in all likelihood. 2019 and 2020 will be more likely impacted by poor early hirings than a 3 week delay in getting the right guys.

This is just histrionics by a few about a process that none of us know the intricacies of

You are silly.

I’m done responding to this topic after this post.

We don’t have a QB coach or OC right now. If you don’t think any offensive player we are recruiting isn’t affected by us not having an OC you are dead wrong. Players want to know what system and type of coach they will be playing for before committing.

Saying no 2018 recruits will be impacted by the 3open coaching positions is completely false.

Bottom line. We don’t know for sure who they are recruiting to know if they will/are being impacted by coaching vacancies. We don’t know if the delay means anything or something. We don’t know anything if whoever is hired was the 1st 2nd or 3rd option for Lovie.

All we got is speculation. If he hired 3 new coaches quickly would that have helped our program in anyway? We don’t know for sure.

If we hire 3 guys after a few weeks is that bad? We don’t know.

What I do know is this- rebuilding a program starts with recruiting. So getting coaches in positions for kids to see what their style of play and coaching is, is important. How important? Again, we don’t know.

You are silly.

We don’t have a QB coach or OC right now. If you don’t think any offensive player we are recruiting isn’t affected by us not having an OC you are dead wrong. Players want to know what system and type of coach they will be playing for before committing.

Saying no 2018 recruits will be impacted by the 3open coaching positions is completely false.

Bottom line. We don’t know for sure who they are recruiting to know if they will/are being impacted by coaching vacancies. We don’t know if the delay means anything or something. We don’t know anything if whoever is hired was the 1st 2nd or 3rd option for Lovie.

All we got is speculation. If he hired 3 new coaches quickly would that have helped our program in anyway? We don’t know for sure.

What I do know is this- rebuilding a program starts with recruiting. So getting coaches in positions for kids to see what their style of play and coaching is, is important. How important? Again, we don’t know.

The bolded pretty much sums it up.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
The bolded pretty much sums it up.

It was nice of him to highlight your point for you.

Maybe Casual Observer knows. Maybe CS can let Lovie Smith and Josh Whitman know that they need to take this more seriously. Casual Observer, shoot me a PM. Let’s see if we can help out our HC and AD.

For people freaking out about 2018 recruiting, the dead period just ended.

Would a couple of days of recruiting 2018 recruits trump another 2 years of bad offensive football and the likely firing of the entire staff? Get a grip.

Deleted member 654622

D
I for one have moved from hoping we hire a coach "so he can get out there and recruit" to I hope we hire a coach soon "so this pointless argument can be over"

icengineer

Southern Illinois
You are silly.

You just made a pretty solid argument as to why you guys complaining about the unfilled coaching positions are off the deep end, thanks!

Great catch illiandarrin! He was making a million bucks a year at LSU and got a big buyout. With that I didn’t think we had a chance with him.

Deleted member 654622

D
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...me-northwestern-assistant-as-new-pitt-dc/amp/

Just as a reference to other national programs. Pitt just hired their D coordinator....it's OK everyone

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...coordinator-as-brian-daboll-leaves-for-bills/

Yet more evidence it is not irregular to be without an OC at this point...its not ideal but it is no reason to start jumping off a bridge

However, this may not be the best thing for Illinois right now

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...coordinator-as-brian-daboll-leaves-for-bills/

Yet more evidence it is not irregular to be without an OC at this point...its not ideal but it is no reason to start jumping off a bridge

However, this may not be the best thing for Illinois right now

No one is jumping off a bridge. Just pointing out that I would rather have our head coach in control of the narrative rather then letting others control it. Thats all. Really.... Thats all.

Deleted member 654622

D
No one is jumping off a bridge. Just pointing out that I would rather have our head coach in control of the narrative rather then letting others control it. Thats all. Really.... Thats all.

I do not argue that point at all. However, for that to be realistic, we would have to have a HC that cares about the narrative. And Lovie does not.

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
I do not argue that point at all. However, for that to be realistic, we would have to have a HC that cares about the narrative. And Lovie does not.

I think most of us are happy that our coach is more concerned with getting the right resource rather than worrying about a handful of fans that need a name immediately, even if it is the wrong one. I support due diligence.

BZuppke

Plainfield
I support the end result being right. Let’s wait and see.

I just think we're way over-analyzing stuff based on the information we have.

I was this august body of prognosticators who put forth not all that long ago, that Lovie Smith would coach 3 years, then turn the reins over to Garrick McGee after being groomed for this HC position.

So will there be any interest in Rod Smith who was CO-OC and quarterbacks coach with RichRod?

Illini TJ

Omaha, Nebraska
IMO it's either Canada or Aaron Moorehead. I would be interested in Smith though. I wonder what he could do with Cam Thomas and MJ Rivers

If it is Canada, I'm out.

As I have previously mentioned, one of my degrees is from NC State. Canada has a personality of heavy grit sandpaper, has a difficult time with passing concepts, and QBs regress under him. He can move the ball between the 20s, but the red zone is his kryptonite, because his motions aren't nearly as effective. Add that to the fact that his running game is only effective with a veteran O-Line, and it spells disaster.

If Lovie is stupid enough to hire a guy that has been a lease option at best for the past 2 years, he deserves to get fired so we can press the reset button yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.