Illinois Football Performance Center

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Why we don't at least put some temporary bleachers (that would be indistinguishable from permanent ones in this situation) to bring those horseshoe seats down to the field/make that area look more imposing is just beyond me, but whatever.

So you want to add more seats to an already half-empty stadium? Empty seats are the exact opposite of imposing.

So with the locker rooms located in the new Performance Center, is it strange that the team will have to leave the stadium to get to their locker room before the game and at halftime? Or is this something that other schools do as well?

This is definitely something that other schools do too, but it will be interesting to see how they approach it. Will they simply walk through the existing facility through the NE tunnel onto the field or will we try to come up with a new entrance? I would be in favor of the latter.

What is going on in a normal college football halftime?

1) Coaches are talking schemes and adjusments
2) Trainers are doing tapes/retapes for 2nd half
3) Players are rehydrating or snacking for a minute

Am I missing anything basic? Seems like too quick of a turnaround for film study even if very specific. Never been in a football game so I'm just going off assumptions. If I'm close, really seems like those things could be done anywhere everyone can fit

So, $200M in capital projects, $80M for the football facility, and hockey isn’t part of it. What’s the other $120M for? New basketball practice facility or upgrades to Ubben, maybe?

Also, I’m glad that I finally moved over to the west side of the stadium, as it appears that the East Main/Horseshoe can has been kicked down the road again as part of a vague “phase 2”... just like it was for the Illinois Renaissance project 10-15 years ago.

I was under the impression that the the east/south renos were going to begin after the FPC and following the 2019 season (I think that was announced in July). But those general plan photos aren’t on the illinoisrenaissance.com page anymore. I would hope that they are just continuing to evaluate those options while waiting for the funds to roll in. Hope they haven’t been kicked down the road too far as you mentioned.

I was under the impression that the the east/south renos were going to begin after the FPC and following the 2019 season (I think that was announced in July). But those general plan photos aren’t on the illinoisrenaissance.com page anymore. I would hope that they are just continuing to evaluate those options while waiting for the funds to roll in. Hope they haven’t been kicked down the road too far as you mentioned.

We should forget the SEZ until we start getting better attendance. The performance center will hopefully help us get better recruits, more W's, and more people in MS.

We should forget the SEZ until we start getting better attendance. The performance center will hopefully help us get better recruits, more W's, and more people in MS.

I agree that attendance is currently an issue but the previously planned specs for the south and east changes were not going to add any seats. Seats added in the south would be offset by losing some in the east.

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]OyXmhsb699s[/YOUTUBE]

Illinois breaks ground on a brand-new 107,650 square foot, $79.2 million Football Performance Center in Jan. 2018. The state-of-the-art facility, which will be completed for the 2019 football season, will be constructed next to the Irwin Indoor Practice Facility, and adjacent to Memorial Stadium. Details »
http://jointheifund.com/footballperformancecenter.html

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Well there was more to see today, they have taken down a large section of the permanent fence along the East side of the practice field. Nearly every tree on the East side from the corner of Peabody and 4th, down to about the middle of the practice field, have been taken down. Lots of holes dug throughout.

Dan

Admin
AD Josh Whitman announced today the commitment of a $5 million leadership gift for the new @IlliniFootball Performance Center by former team captain Stu Levenick and his wife Nancy

http://fightingillini.com/news/2018...-performance-center.aspx#.WnzGX-g6fLM.twitter

AD Josh Whitman: We have an opportunity to develop our football program into a power in our conference and on the national stage.

AD Josh Whitman: Lovie Smith has surrounded himself with great people on his staff. Just met with the team to introduce them to Stu.

AD Josh Whitman: The next ingredient in the formula is surrounding those people with great resources. That's what we're doing now, giving them the things we need in our football program.

AD Josh Whitman: The dirt is getting moved every day. The holes are getting bigger.

"It will be an absolute game-changer for us."

AD Josh Whitman: We have to find great strategic partners who are willing to spend their time, talents and resources to invest into the growth of our program. That's where Stu and Nancy Levenick enter the conversation.

AD Josh Whitman: Stu Levenick "is a tried and true Illini."

AD Josh Whitman: Stu is one of the first people I've met in this position. Grown into a great friend and ally and confidant.

AD Josh Whitman: Stu's $5 million gift "has set the tone" for gifts coming in which will be announced in coming months.

Lovie Smith: Always great to give players a visual. Always good to bring Stu Levenick and see someone who's gone through the same path

Lovie: "Just think of what we'll be able to do (in recruiting) when we get this facility."

Stu Levenick: "If I close my eyes ... I'm still being interviewed by Loren Tate." #TateTales

Stu Levenick: "I got a lot out of this place."

Stu Levenick: The lessons I learned on the gridiron and in the classroom were lessons that really sustained me through my career. That was my message to the team today.

Stu Levenick: "I really believe in the student-athlete experience."

Stu Levenick: The leadership through the board to president to chancellor to Josh to DIA and Lovie, we have world-class leadership.

Stu Levenick: "The investments we're making here will pay off ...It'll take a while. Rome wasn't built in a day. But we will win."

Stu Levenick said he’s bought into leadership of Josh Whitman, “an Illini,” and Lovie Smith, who “grows the man and then the player.” #illini – at Bielfeldt Athletic Administration Building

Stu Levenick: I really think a combination of a winning athletic program and this world-class university will set us apart.

https://twitter.com/JWerner247

[youtube]qGCSG7rE27g[/youtube]

Last edited:
Well there was more to see today, they have taken down a large section of the permanent fence along the East side of the practice field. Nearly every tree on the East side from the corner of Peabody and 4th, down to about the middle of the practice field, have been taken down. Lots of holes dug throughout.

The hole digging crews on campus are top notch. If you have a perfectly good street and you need a hole in the middle of it, they are all over it. Hell we've got holes dug all over campus right now. The hole digging crew was working overtime on Green Street this fall.

Now the hole filling crew... those guys need practice.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
I would love to donate $5M to the beloved one day.

I could write that check. It would bounce, and I'd probably get arrested. But I could at least write that check.

This is a fine building, lets hope we don't scrimp on the details. when will folks realize that a 2018 building shouldn't try to look like a 1860's building? not only is it financially impractical to attempt to replicate those stone and brick details but it produces a building that is out of place and time. the new building as designed is a fine piece as it borrows from the existing without trying to look old. look at the Iowa facility, well done and absolutely modern in feel and function. my only concern is why the red brick. we all know it wont match the stadium, so why try. The university "mandate" is ridiculous for this building.

This is a fine building, lets hope we don't scrimp on the details. when will folks realize that a 2018 building shouldn't try to look like a 1860's building? not only is it financially impractical to attempt to replicate those stone and brick details but it produces a building that is out of place and time. the new building as designed is a fine piece as it borrows from the existing without trying to look old. look at the Iowa facility, well done and absolutely modern in feel and function. my only concern is why the red brick. we all know it wont match the stadium, so why try. The university "mandate" is ridiculous for this building.

I've seen the schematics that went out to contractors for bids on different aspects of the building. Trust me, this thing is really cool and will make a huge difference compared to what we have on campus right now. Barbershop, grooming area, new cafeteria with nutrition area, auditorium, game room, etc. The bells and whistles go on and on.

I don't think the recruits are going to care about the aesthetics of the exterior of the building. I think it would look dumb to have this modern, out of place building plopped next to a historic stadium and red brick ARC. We did that once with the west side of the stadium; it looks out of place and is routinely mocked. It's not like the design is hindering the functionality of the building, it's going to be great.