Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,003      
Cubit is pulling in better talent than Beckman ever did. Some of these guys actually have legit offers from power conferences.

Is he?:huh:
Look at Beckmans last year class. I will say he is pulling in a lot talented 2 stars, would have to say with us class being completed and signed the best we can expect is a dog fall ( tie).

#2,004      
Nation and Marshall same high school same team and friends possible package deal , hello team speed, #fingerscrossed

Nation is not a fast back period. I would actually takes Montgomery or Chatman before Nations.
Nation's has power and nifty feet and can cut very very well, but is slow.
Montgomery has good power not the equal of the others but he can run away and hide, bank it or at least 40 yards at a crack.
Chatman is a blend he has near the same power as Nations and quality speed. Thing Donovonn Young but more power and smart enough to know to use it instead of dance, while also being a little faster with is long speed. :eek:
Now I like Marshall's speed, thou no indications he give a rats behind about us but I like Kato Nelson for speed at wr. Also the name does not hurt Kato aka Bruce Lee before he became big.

Last edited:
#2,005      
Nation is not a fast back period. I would actually takes Montgomery or Chatman before Nations.
Nation's has power and nifty feet and can cut very very well, but is slow.
Montgomery has good power not the equal of the others but he can run away and hide, bank it or at least 40 yards at a crack.
Chatman is a blend he has near the same power as Nations and quality speed. Thing Donovonn Young but more power and smart enough to know to use it instead of dance, while also being a little faster with is long speed. :eek:
Now I like Marshall's speed, thou no indications he give a rats behind about us but I like Kato Nelson for speed at wr. Also the name does not hurt Kato aka Bruce Lee before he became big.

I would love the package deal of Tadarryl Marshall and Tre Nation. I think Tre Nation is a better recruit than Kentrail Moran and Marshall would be our top recruit. I think Nation would be a great situational runner

#2,008      
Very happy to have Harding on board. We should have more speed with the Linebackers. He is an upgrade to Walton. I think he plays and the other 3 LB redshirt

#2,009      

RHITIllini

Chicago, IL
This one is likely Seamo.. if so, hope he gets credit for it.. don't think he got enough for landing Vaughn last year.

#2,011      

CUWPC

Geneva, IL
Yes! Great news. More team speed and that's what the Illini need.

#2,012      
2 Deep next year?

OLB Julian Jones/Justice Williams
MLB Tre Watson/Dele'Harding/Mike Svetina
WLB James Crawford/Cedric Doxy/Austin Roberts

#2,014      
This is ridiculous. Do we really want to diminish the University for the sake of sports. Let the chips fall where they lie. ND, Stanford, Michigan and even Northwestern seem to have figured it out. I would rather see a team GPA over 3.0 and a losing record than the a 2.0 GPA with a winning record. Give the institution some credit and deal with the academics. Its about the only thing left in the State of Illinois we can say is a winner!

#2,015      
This is ridiculous. Do we really want to diminish the University for the sake of sports. Let the chips fall where they lie. ND, Stanford, Michigan and even Northwestern seem to have figured it out. I would rather see a team GPA over 3.0 and a losing record than the a 2.0 GPA with a winning record. Give the institution some credit and deal with the academics. Its about the only thing left in the State of Illinois we can say is a winner!

Ugh no, as long as there aren't criminal charges brought against players than any good grades are gravy on a winning team. Why would I follow a bad team that graduates players? Sure, it's good for the players but I would stop watching that team instantly.

Now, I'm not saying just forget academics, you should still provide tutoring/assistance and hold these guys to any NCAA regulations. But why go above that?

#2,016      

You are one of 6 people who believes this. Get some winning sports programs and the alumni get happier which supports the infrastructure of the University. Duke had lower standards for athletes than North Carolina until Roy Williams showed up. Duke knows how to lie about their academics

Last edited:
#2,017      

CUWPC

Geneva, IL

We are talking about 85 scholarship athletes vs roughly 33,000 undergrad students. 85 athletes aren't diminishing anything. A highly profitable revenue sport does more positive for the University than does 85 college athletes with a 2.0 GPA negatively impact the university.

#2,018      

I don't have any real evidence to support this theory, but, under the assumption that lowering academic standards would result in a better team and more wins, I think that it could actually raise the average academic level of the school. High school students like to apply to schools with good sports team. More applications means the school can be more selective, taking better students. Even if this theory is incorrect, as CUWPC noted, it's 85 students.

This is an obviously extreme example (FGCU's prior anonymity, smaller enrollment, different sport) but following their Sweet 16 run their applications skyrocketed. It also cites a few other examples.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/3222/how-fgcus-run-can-benefit-admissions

#2,019      
Do we really want to diminish the University for the sake of sports. Let the chips fall where they lie. ND, Stanford, Michigan and even Northwestern seem to have figured it out. I would rather see a team GPA over 3.0 and a losing record than the a 2.0 GPA with a winning record.

A 3.0 average in Recreation, Sport and Tourism with endless assistance provided by DIA-employed "tutors" from a group of students who wouldn't dream of admission to UI without being revenue sport athletes? That fills you with pride?

The University of Illinois has debased itself by participating in the fraud that is NCAA athletics for over a century. The only question is whether we want to do the charade well or do it poorly.

#2,020      
We are talking about 85 scholarship athletes vs roughly 33,000 undergrad students. 85 athletes aren't diminishing anything. A highly profitable revenue sport does more positive for the University than does 85 college athletes with a 2.0 GPA negatively impact the university.

Keep in mind that a majority of those scholarship athletes are able to "pass" our current academic standards, so we're only talking about a small part of every class that falls between our current minimum standards and NCAA minimum standards.

#2,022      
I guess Mason going to dental school and Mike Martin in Mechanical Engineering along with multiple Business students doesn't count. You are prejudging students based on a major? We are not FGCU, Virginia Commonwealth or George Mason. We are U of I, I would bet a run for the Big Ten championship would help us a bit but from what I have seen we don't need any enrollment help. I'm sure Duke doesn't waiver from championship to championship with candidates . Do you really think people will be enrolling in the Engineering, Accounting and Agriculture at U of I because our football team won the Big Ten? I think not. The University academics stand on their own.

#2,023      
I guess Mason going to dental school and Mike Martin in Mechanical Engineering along with multiple Business students doesn't count. You are prejudging students based on a major? We are not FGCU, Virginia Commonwealth or George Mason. We are U of I, I would bet a run for the Big Ten championship would help us a bit but from what I have seen we don't need any enrollment help. I'm sure Duke doesn't waiver from championship to championship with candidates . Do you really think people will be enrolling in the Engineering, Accounting and Agriculture at U of I because our football team won the Big Ten? I think not. The University academics stand on their own.

People enrolled at U of I in 2004 because our basketball team was really good in addition to having good academics (Not to mention the million other reasons why people choose one college over another).

No one is saying that we don't want smart athletes, it certainly is a bonus to have smart guys like Mason on the team. We're just saying there's no need to hold athletes to a higher standard than other Big Ten teams out of fear that accepting 5-10 minimum qualifying athletes would somehow hurt our vaunted academic rankings. On the other hand, those 5-10 athletes might help our athletic rankings (and more importantly standings) immensely.

#2,024      

Deleted member 10676

D
[FONT=&quot]Jeremy Werner[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ‏@JWernerScout [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Another one. DE Izon Pulley commits to #illini [/FONT]

#2,025      
Champaign Room Article

Pulley has the size of a defensive end, but could add a lot of weight and move inside in college. He gets off the ball well, but he needs to work on disengaging when he is blocked. His motor does not stop. He has good body control and balance, and he can take on a block and get back into the play down the field. He needs to work on his speed for backside pursuit, and also on using his hands to deter offensive linemen from blocking.

LOVE the bolded part

Status
Not open for further replies.