Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,251      
We will see but decent chance we land 3 in state 4 star recruits in Lovies first class. No idea when the last time that happened was.

Last edited:
#2,252      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
We will seen but decent chance we land 3 in state 4 star recruits in Lovies first class. No idea when the last time that happened was.
It was 2009 under Zook. We actually got 4 four-star guys from IL in that class: Michael Buchanan, Terry Hawthorne, Leon Hill, and Lendell Buckner. Only Hawthorne really panned out. A lot of the guys in that class never played a down for us, though, and even more flamed out during their time at Illinois for dumb off the field stuff. We had 2 4-star guys from IL (Anthony Morris & Josh Brent) and 1 five-star (Martez Wilson) in 2007. Man that was a great class. :shield:

#2,253      
It was 2009 under Zook. We actually got 4 four-star guys from IL in that class: Michael Buchanan, Terry Hawthorne, Leon Hill, and Lendell Buckner. Only Hawthorne really panned out. A lot of the guys in that class never played a down for us, though, and even more flamed out during their time at Illinois for dumb off the field stuff. We had 2 4-star guys from IL (Anthony Morris & Josh Brent) and 1 five-star (Martez Wilson) in 2007. Man that was a great class. :shield:

Michael Buchanan was a pretty darned good player for us and an NFL draft pick. I'd definitely say he "panned out".

On the other hand, Hill and Buckner never even made it to campus IIRC.

#2,254      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Michael Buchanan was a pretty darned good player for us and an NFL draft pick. I'd definitely say he "panned out".

On the other hand, Hill and Buckner never even made it to campus IIRC.
You're right. Should have mentioned Buchanan along with Hawthorne. Still, the other two were disappointments that we never saw them even play a down for us.

#2,255      
Creating and establishing relationships with the instate programs is one thing this staff should do. I guess you disagree.

This staff HAS created relationships in state. They've created relationships in an 8 month time period that the last staff could only dream to have. Kendrick Green is the only oops they had. Again, it has only been 8 months and we are in on some great talent from ESL and downstate IL. I don't understand what is at all disappointing about that. It seems that you are complaining just to complain.

#2,256      

JoeyJackMo

Champaign, IL
Black Dog

McGarigle and Hardy Nickerson spotted at lunch in downtown Champaign with what looked like a recruit and his mom.

#2,257      
What this staff has done in state so far is rather disappointing. They should have offered a guy like Kendrick Green during the Summer yet waited until November. The old staff would have offered a guy like that back in the spring. I really hope they can do better with the Class of 2018.

I know you are close to the East Saint Louis program and it would be great if the pipeline to that program could be reopened. They always have talent and players who know how to play defense.

I dont think you can blame this year on what the stay has done so far, they got here late and have kind of been busy trying to get the team ready for the season . Now that they have had a little time to look at kids for themselves they are after the ones they want. I believe we will offer guys sooner now since the staff has had a season with the team they don't have to teach things to 100 players on the new guys so more time to look at film and study kids

#2,259      
Right now this is all a bit like Lottery dreaming. It is a lot of fun to be excited. The date of the drawing is coming and then we'll find out whether we were just drinking the kool-aid or prescient. But it is sure to have good reasons to dream again. Go, Lovie !

#2,260      
Top programs build their teams with top talent. 3 stars don't match that. A lot easier to turn an athlete into a player than a player into an athlete. True for most sports

The minute you realize you are not Ohio State or Michigan the better off you will be. It will be a while before Illinois is the TOP team in the Big 10 4 out of 5 years. That is the only way you will get 10 plus 4 stars a year. Until then, get the best talent you can get a build a program! They are working toward that now which is a good thing.

#2,261      
Well that isn't encouraging

CzQ34iFWEAEBdDD.jpg

#2,262      

CUWPC

Geneva, IL
Well they all do this blessed deal. It's status to have as many offers as you can get, especially from Power 5 conferences. Not saying he's going to Illinois, but I wouldn't read too much in to this.

#2,263      
Well they all do this blessed deal. It's status to have as many offers as you can get, especially from Power 5 conferences. Not saying he's going to Illinois, but I wouldn't read too much in to this.

I was referring more to Hafiz, who presumably has Nebraska as his leader, with the #GBR hashtag and asking this kid who just got a Nebraska offer to dm him.

#2,264      

CUWPC

Geneva, IL
I was referring more to Hafiz, who presumably has Nebraska as his leader, with the #GBR hashtag and asking this kid who just got a Nebraska offer to dm him.

Ha! My bad. maybe he's telling him to go to Illinois.

#2,266      
The lack of noise from the defensive back position in this recruiting season tells me that the staff feels extremely confident in their chances with Hafiz. It also leads me to believe the Tony Adams and potentially Reyondous Estes are being considered at CB.

With 17 scholarships available and Lovie being very adament that they will sign 25 kids...this is going to get really fun in the next month and a half!

#2,267      
Quarterback
Dwayne Lawson 6-6/220 Garden City CC (Tampa, FL) 3 star
- Big, athletic, strong armed QB with all the tools…can he pick up offense?
Cam Thomas 6-3/180 Chicago Heights, IL (Marian Catholic) 3 star
- Athletic, lean prospect with solid dual threat skills…he has been a phenomenal program salesman

Prospects:
- None, we are done with QB’s

Running Back
Mike Epstein 6-0/185 Fort Lauderdale, FL (St. Thomas Aquinas) 3 star
- Tremendous change of direction back that is underrated. Really like his potential.
Ra’Von Bonner 6-0/210 Cincinnati, OH (Sycamore) 3 star
- Bigger, more downhill back that compliments Epstein well. After a huge senior year, probably underrated.

Prospects:
- Considering our depth at RB returning, I don’t believe we will take any other RB commits this season.

Wide Receiver
Carmoni Green 6-1/190 Miami, FL (Miami Central) 3 star
- All the tools you look for in a WR. Is he still committed, teammate committing would certainly help.
Ricky Smalling 6-1/195 Oak Lawn, IL (Brother Rice) 3 star
- Adding speed, athleticism, and players that can get open is a major priority.
Kendall Smith 6-2/170 Bolingbrook, IL 3 star
- See above (Smalling)

Prospects:
Jeff Thomas 5-10/170 East St. Louis, IL 4 star
- Game changing (and program changing) type athleticism and skills, visiting this weekend.
Reggie Roberson 6-0/180 Mesquite, TX (Horn) 3 star
- Priority WR that has been a favorite of Hayes-Stoker since last summer.
Jaylond Adams 5-10/170 Adamsville, AL (Minor) 3 star
- Slot receiver who has a lot of speed, it appears he is their back up plan if Roberson doesn’t commit.
Tight End
Prospects:
Jacob Paulson 6-5/245 Louisville, KY (Christian Academy) 3 star
- Prototypical TE body who has been offered late and looks to be main target.
Christian Williams 6-4/230 Fullerton CC NR
- Athlete, pass catching receiver that isn’t highly sought after but appears to be main target of staff.
Offensive Tackle
Prospects:
Alex Palczewski 6-7/270 Mount Prospect, IL 3 star
- Absolutely blew up once Illinois offered in early November.
Preson Mixon 6-4/295 Montgomery, AL (Jefferson Davis) NR
- Athletic, underrated “quick” OT type that is perfect for McGee’s scheme.
Zenden Dellinger 6-7/280 Fort Wayne, IN (R. Nelson Snider) 3 star
- Picked Cincy over Illinois and Indiana, do we revisit him after coaching change at Cincy?
Howard Watkins 6-5/280 Cincinnati, OH (Colerain) 3 star
- Longtime target of this staff who looks to close on this athletic tackle prospect.
Offensive Guard
Vederian Lowe 6-5/335 Rockford, IL (Auburn) 3 star
- Road grader big body that is perfect for McGee’s offensive scheme.
Larry Boyd 6-5/310 St. Louis, MO (Trinity Catholic) 3 star
- One of the best recruiting gets of the year so far…Boyd is going to be really good.

Prospects:
Joshua Fedd-Jackson 6-4/300 Hammonton, NJ (St. Joseph) 3 star
- Visiting this weekend and has versatility to play tackle or guard in McGee’s offense.
Defensive End
Olalere Oladipo 6-3/240 Huntley, IL 3 star
- We need pass rushers desperately, a great in-state get in Oladipo.

Prospects:
Owen Carney 6-3/230 Miami, FL (Central) 3 star
- Probably the highest rated prospect still on Illinois’ board on the defensive side of the ball.
Odua Isibor 6-4/220 Phoenix, AZ (St. Mary’s) 3 star
- Probably a long shot but we have recruited this long, lean, athletic end for a while now.
Esezi Otomewo 6-6/210 Indianapolis, IN (Ben Davis) 3 star
- Underrated athlete who would need to add weight but has all the tools to be special.
Bobby Roundtree 6-5/215 Largo, FL 3 star
- Long, lean, athletic end (see a trend here) who is less likely with some other offers lately.
Daniel Callendar 6-5/230 Yuma, AZ (Catholic) NR
- A favorite of Phair, this staff has recruited a lot of under the radar kids.
Michael Boykin 6-6/255 Gulf Coast CC (Panama City, FL) NR
- Former Louisville commit that we offered in November…a Big 10 ready body.
Zion DeBose 6-3/225 Spencer, NC (North Rowan) 3 star
- Fast, athletic pass rushing prospect who has blown up during senior year.
Ernest Bagner 6-5/230 Riverside CC 3 star
- JUCO DE who was offered during season.
Michael Owusu 6-6/210 Westlake Village, CA (Oaks Christian) 3 star
- Another long, lean, athletic target with some pretty solid offers.
Joshua Maize 6-5/230 Deerfield, IL 3 star
- Appears to be back-up plan and I think we could offer on signing day and he is ours.
Defensive Tackle
Prospects:
Kendrick Green 6-4/270 Peoria, IL 3 star
- Offered late and have some room to make up but I believe he ends up in O&B.
Boe Tufele 6-3/290 Harbor City, CA (Narbonne) 3 star
- Long time target who has limited scholarship offers, seems to be holding out for better.
Christian Smith 6-2/290 Trussville, AL (Hewitt-Trussville) 2 star
- Athletic prospect who seemed to be target early, but has been silent for a while now.
Caylon May 6-3/290 Olympia Fields, IL (Rich Central) 3 star
- We have continued to recruit him but haven’t offered, probably ours as soon as we offer.
John Mitchell 6-3/270 Crete, IL (Crete-Monee) 3 star
- Academic concerns have probably prevented an offer up until this point.
Caylon May 6-3/290 Olympia Fields, IL (Rich Central) 3 star
- We have recruited him without offering scholarship, another back-up option.
Linebacker
Marc Mondesir 6-2/210 Chicago, IL (St. Rita) 3 star
- We offered immediately after seeing him at satellite camp, he accepted.

Prospects:
Christian Nkansah-Wiafe 6-0/195 Westerville, OH (South) 3 star
- Undersized tackling machine appears to fit the type of LB Lovie wants, not totally sold he is legit top target.
Delshawn Phillips 6-1/215 Garden City CC 3 star
- Arizona commit who is visiting this weekend, teammate of Dawson at Garden City.
James Knight 6-0/210 East St. Louis, IL 3 star
- Very impressive film who will probably be LB in Smith’s system with his speed and tackling ability.
Cornerback
Quran Hafiz 6-0/170 Jacksonville, FL (Sandalwood) 3 star
- Long time top target for staff, most think Nebraska leads, but I think we are in a better position than most think.
Antwan Collier 6-3/180 Miami, FL (Southridge) 3 star
- One time commit who seems to be waiting on Miami offer…not sure where we stand.
Dallas Branch 5-11/165 Los Angeles, CA (Bishop Mora Salesian) 2 star
- Athletic, fast kid with a lot of potential…sleeper type prospect.
Mike Hughes 5-10/185 Garden City CC NR
- Another Garden City kid that we are on late, as a bridge type player.
Zyon Gilbert 6-1/170 Montgomery, AL (Jefferson Davis) NR
- Long, lean corner who fits the profile we are looking for but appears to be back-up option.
Athlete
Tony Adams 6-0/185 St. Louis, MO 3 star
- Probably better suited for WR from my perspective, but has the size and athleticism to be the longer, athletic CB’s that Lovie and staff are looking for.

#2,268      
One of the biggest recruiting weekends in a while...with illinois a fav with Jeff Thomas......maybe LOVIE should offer ESL head coach a special teams job???...lol

#2,269      

CUWPC

Geneva, IL
Maybe a silly question. Can former players be in campus during this weekend? Or former coaches? Can Lovie use is star power?

#2,270      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Quarterback
Dwayne Lawson 6-6/220 Garden City CC (Tampa, FL) 3 star
- Big, athletic, strong armed QB with all the tools…can he pick up offense?
Cam Thomas 6-3/180 Chicago Heights, IL (Marian Catholic) 3 star
- Athletic, lean prospect with solid dual threat skills…he has been a phenomenal program salesman

Prospects:
- None, we are done with QB’s

Great post, thanks.

#2,271      
What this staff has done in state so far is rather disappointing. They should have offered a guy like Kendrick Green during the Summer yet waited until November. The old staff would have offered a guy like that back in the spring. I really hope they can do better with the Class of 2018.

I know you are close to the East Saint Louis program and it would be great if the pipeline to that program could be reopened. They always have talent and players who know how to play defense.

Disappointing are things like this post. Staff wanted to ensure kid was legit and serious about academics. Any reference to old staff is a joke.

#2,272      

Nebraska has backed off Hafiz. They landed a 4 star CB with connections to their new DB Coach from Arizona. It is us vs Iowa State. Collier is waiting on Miami now and if they don't offer, he comes to us

#2,273      

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
Illini6212 - this is fantastic info. Thank you!

Given this list represents guys we're chasing, it's a little disappointing that Thomas is the only 4/5 star --- and there are more 2 stars on the list than 4/5.

#2,274      
Illini6212 - this is fantastic info. Thank you!

Given this list represents guys we're chasing, it's a little disappointing that Thomas is the only 4/5 star --- and there are more 2 stars on the list than 4/5.

This staff has a director of scouting which is something we ha e never had before. We have offered scholarships to a lot of under the radar athletes. Expect this to continue under this staff as Lovie was known in Chicago for wanting athletes that he could coach up. He is taking the same approach. Fortunately for us, I think it's easier to win games in college just on athleticism than it is in the pros. Having said that, Lovie won a lot of games in the pros. Moral of the story: don't worry about star ratings and watch these kid's high school tapes.

#2,275      
This staff has a director of scouting which is something we ha e never had before. We have offered scholarships to a lot of under the radar athletes. Expect this to continue under this staff as Lovie was known in Chicago for wanting athletes that he could coach up. He is taking the same approach. Fortunately for us, I think it's easier to win games in college just on athleticism than it is in the pros. Having said that, Lovie won a lot of games in the pros. Moral of the story: don't worry about star ratings and watch these kid's high school tapes.

Are not the tapes where the star ratings come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.