Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,728      
Cam was the number 2 qb in Illinois.. .he was good his team around him just really was awful. ...he was clearly their best player and athlete

What concerns me is not his teams record, but rather the lack of offensive production. Marian scored only 100 points this season, it is even more concerning when you consider the fact that 53 of these points were scored in one game (Urban Prep/Englewood). I understand the fact that his team wasn't great and that the East Suburban Catholic is one of the state's toughest conferences, but a future B1G quarterback should have better results.

#2,729      
Yes but that's not really relevant in his case. He was getting interest from Minny, Indiana and Iowa, among others. Offers were coming but Illinois got to him pretty quickly.

I have to disagree. None of those school would respect an Illini commit

#2,730      
I have to disagree. None of those school would respect an Illini commit

He was the priority QB recruit in this class. Like others have said, B1G west schools were showing interest, Illinois close it quick. Cam reciprocated the interest and the other schools felt like it would wise to spend their energy elsewhere.

We get it...you're not a fan of Cam Thomas.

#2,731      
Cam was the number 2 qb in Illinois.. .he was good his team around him just really was awful. ...he was clearly their best player and athlete

...could be equivalent to being the #22 QB in Florida or Texas or California or Ohio or Georgia or Pennsylvania...

#2,732      
Speculating on Thomas' impact is about two years too early. Chances he even sees the field before 2019 are slim, and even slimmer if you think he'll start a game before then. Grooming a QB is extremely difficult, but given McGee's label as a QB whisperer I don't think there's any doubt Thomas will either become an effective QB or be moved to another position.

#2,733      
...could be equivalent to being the #22 QB in Florida or Texas or California or Ohio or Georgia or Pennsylvania...

You can play that game with any prospect in IL. Football here isn't as good as in TX, OH, FL, etc. Nobody is going to pretend it is. But we can't ignore top prospects in IL and hope to ever succeed. Cam Thomas is still the #2 prospect in IL and a viable FBS P5 prospect at QB due to the physical tools at his disposal. Nobody is claiming he is a day 1 starter.

#2,734      
Speculating on Thomas' impact is about two years too early. Chances he even sees the field before 2019 are slim, and even slimmer if you think he'll start a game before then. Grooming a QB is extremely difficult, but given McGee's label as a QB whisperer I don't think there's any doubt Thomas will either become an effective QB or be moved to another position.

I see him as a solid backup. With Lawson for two years and then the hopeful addition of Quincy Patterson next year, I just don't see any window for starting time. Even if we end up with Coran Taylor in the next class, Cam will have is work cut out for him in the QB position battle.

#2,735      
What is the word on D-end Joshua Maize from Deerfield? I was impressed with his highlight tape and also confused to why he does not have bigger offers. I imagine he's a bright kid for attending Deerfield, which is renown in the state for their academics.

#2,736      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
247 IL Rankings updated:

Current Rank | Player | Rank Change (New - Previous)

2 Jeff Thomas (+0)
6 Ricky Smalling (+7)
8 Kendrick Green (+4)
13 Olalere Oladipo (+2)
17 Kendall Smith (+17)
20 Joshua Maize (+16) - SURPRISED THERE IS NO OFFER
25 Vederian Lowe (+15)
26 Cam Thomas (+11)
31 Alex Palczewski (NR) - NEEDS TO BE RANKED HIGHER
39 Terez Lagrone (-15)
42 Marc Mondesir (-1)
51 Rey Estes (-24)
53 James Knight (-23)

#2,737      
I see him as a solid backup. With Lawson for two years and then the hopeful addition of Quincy Patterson next year, I just don't see any window for starting time. Even if we end up with Coran Taylor in the next class, Cam will have is work cut out for him in the QB position battle.

Staff likes Coran Taylor better than Patterson, but they want both.

#2,738      
Recruiting rankings aren't an end-all-be-all, see Ryan O'Malley and isaac Hawn. I think Maize is on a similar tier, he's just a backup option. Despite what recruiting services say

#2,739      

BZuppke

Plainfield
You can play that game with any prospect in IL. Football here isn't as good as in TX, OH, FL, etc. Nobody is going to pretend it is. But we can't ignore top prospects in IL and hope to ever succeed. Cam Thomas is still the #2 prospect in IL and a viable FBS P5 prospect at QB due to the physical tools at his disposal. Nobody is claiming he is a day 1 starter.

I agree. Wisky does pretty well stocking their team with homegrown 3 star talent.

#2,740      
I agree. Wisky does pretty well stocking their team with homegrown 3 star talent.

This is how Wisconsin became a powerhouse in both basketball and football. They aren't getting 15 5/4 star guys, though they obviously grab more now then we do, they typcailly groom their players into solid players. When the 90's rolled round and they got Bennett and Alvarez in there, it changed the athletics of Wisconsin. They are still reaping the benefits of both guys, and yes Bo Ryan and to an extent Bret Bielema continued the tradition, but if you look historically at Wisky they were really nothing before the 90s.

Learning to create football/basketball players is much harder then grabbing 5 stars, but its doable with the right setting and I think Lovie will do just that. In a couple years very few freshman will be starting for the Illini. Lovies gonna get these guys into a rhythm and really start making the university a model of development like Wisconsin is right now.

#2,741      
Wasn't Illinois his ONLY offer?

Lovie must like his game. No one has signed yet, and Lovie could cut him loose if he didn't think he was a player. Lovie obviously thinks he is good since he targeted Thomas early.

#2,743      
He was the priority QB recruit in this class. Like others have said, B1G west schools were showing interest, Illinois close it quick. Cam reciprocated the interest and the other schools felt like it would wise to spend their energy elsewhere.

We get it...you're not a fan of Cam Thomas.

I don't know him or have nothing against him. I've been around Illinois High School football a long time and I know a QB that score points (with his arm or his legs) will not win in the Big 10. At minimum you can manufacture 4 wins by leading your team! If you can't lead a high school team to coming close to winning, you can't lead Illinois. You can be okay with T Shirt and shorts performance but I am not.

Keep in mind I was the one that said Lunt will not pan out and O'toole or Baily would win more ball games given the opportunity. I am no expert but I know football talent. Case in point, Stanley Green starting as a true Freshman.

#2,744      
To be clear, Thomas is an athlete that can play multiple positions so he will be a good pickup regardless.

#2,745      
Almost certainly, none.

Good Lord! Yep, how Thomas develops will be interesting. Obviously, McGee really likes him and that's good enough for me.

Cali, you know thats a bad measurement. Those guys are the ones who will HAVE to be at the top of the 2017 depth chart at DE, and who the incoming guys will be competing against for PT. Obviously they didn't play much when we had President, Smoot, and Phillips all in front of them. How many tackles did ANY other DE have? And don't include Crawford, he is even less likely to play 1st and 2nd down at DE than McGrew and Adesanya.

Simply put, our DE spot is barren and wide open. But to say they won't play because they're sub-250 lbs is ignoring the state of our depth chart. Also, it's not like our DL was very good against the run this year with the extra weight.

LLP are right. But even on the field McGrew as next to input this year. The weight is arbitrary and not aimed at them specifically. More a matter of what we have and would need to succeed. Funny thing is I thought Adesanya reminded me a lot of Phillips on his juco tape.
Point is whoever we have on the field they also need to protect the outside as well as pass rush. Nobody currently or projected right now seems to fit the that profile.:eek:

#2,747      

Dan

Admin
Breaking: Kendrick Green, @The_fridge53 has committed to play football at Illinois, according to Tim Thornton. #Illini #pjspreps
https://twitter.com/Sports_Aaron/status/812090002347851778

Congrats to Kendrick Green- University of Illinois Football Recruit! The Peoria Pipeline is Back!
https://twitter.com/hoijim/status/812090223844794368

Kendrick Green- Peoria High all state lineman and 25 Sports Player of the Year picks Illinois over Iowa and Minnesota--HUGE get for Lovie
https://twitter.com/hoijim/status/812090565294690304

#2,748      

bredhartmann

Centralia, IL
Ah how sweet it is beating Iowa, especially for a stud in our own backyard. Welcome Kendrick!

#2,750      

CUWPC

Geneva, IL
Yeah buddy! Huge get for the staff. The talent level is going up. Congrats Kendrick Green. :chief::shield:

Status
Not open for further replies.